Old 07-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Matthias Brennwald

Default Rescue md/software RAID array

Dear all

Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu Server 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different disk) was on a md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare disk). This morning I tried to log in remotely using ssh, but immediately after login the terminal was closed again (so the machine was still running somehow, but it did not want me to be logged in).

I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to try logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a message that the md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue booting. I answered yes. Immediately after this, I got a message saying that a device/disk UUID could not be found and then got an "(initramfs)" shell.

I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?

Matthias

Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 01:30 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu Server 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different disk) was on a md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare disk). This morning I tried to log in remotely using ssh, but immediately after login the terminal was closed again (so the machine was still running somehow, but it did not want me to be logged in).
>
> I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to try logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a message that the md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue booting. I answered yes. Immediately after this, I got a message saying that a device/disk UUID could not be found and then got an "(initramfs)" shell.
>
> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?

mdadm --assemble --scan

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
drew einhorn

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 01:30 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

> Dear all

> Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu Server 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different disk) was on a md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare disk). This morning I tried to log in remotely using ssh, but immediately after login the terminal was closed again (so the machine was still running somehow, but it did not want me to be logged in).

> I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to try logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a message that the md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue booting. I answered yes. Immediately after this, I got a message saying that a device/disk UUID could not be found and then got an "(initramfs)" shell.

> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?

mdadm --assemble --scan
I believe that after booting the live cd you can do install any software you need to proceed.It will disappear when you reboot. *But if you are more comfortable in the live cd environment that's an option. *(Actually I'm extrapolating from another distribution, but I believe I am correct).*

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
*-- *Yogi Berra

Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 09:13 AM, drew einhorn wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 01:30 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu
> Server 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different
> disk) was on a md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare
> disk). This morning I tried to log in remotely using ssh, but
> immediately after login the terminal was closed again (so the
> machine was still running somehow, but it did not want me to be
> logged in).
> >
> > I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to
> try logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a
> message that the md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue
> booting. I answered yes. Immediately after this, I got a message
> saying that a device/disk UUID could not be found and then got an
> "(initramfs)" shell.
> >
> > I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate
> installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid
> support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix
> things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the
> machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I
> try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?
>

> mdadm --assemble --scan
>

> I believe that after booting the live cd you can do install any software
> you need to proceed.
> It will disappear when you reboot. But if you are more comfortable in
> the live cd environment that's an option. (Actually I'm extrapolating
> from another distribution, but I believe I am correct).

He's trying to fix his raid array. I personally would just use TRK than
the Ubuntu Live CD for this purpose.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Luis Paulo

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Matthias Brennwald
<matthias@brennwald.org> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu Server 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different disk) was on a md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare disk). This morning I tried to log in remotely using ssh, but immediately after login the terminal was closed again (so the machine was still running somehow, but it did not want me to be logged in).
>
> I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to try logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a message that the md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue booting. I answered yes. Immediately after this, I got a message saying that a device/disk UUID could not be found and then got an "(initramfs)" shell.
>
> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?
>
> Matthias

# apt-get install mdadm
# mdadm --auto-detect

Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Matthias Brennwald

On 6. Jul 2010, at 3:26, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?
>

> mdadm --assemble --scan

Result: "No arrays found in config file"

On 6. Jul 2010, at 8:26, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas@gmail.com> wrote:

> # apt-get install mdadm
> # mdadm --auto-detect

I skipped the "apt-get install" because I am using the Ubuntu Alternate Disk which already has mdadm. Then I ran "mdadm --auto-detect", which gave no result.

Do I have to specifiy the md devices explicitly somehow? These would be /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 (plus the spare /dev/sde1)

Just a note that might be important (but I am not sure): before entering the shell of the alternate disk I was asked about the root file system and where I wanted to execute the shell. I chose "do not use a root file system" and "execute shell in installer environment".

Thanks for your help!

Matthias

Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 03:08 PM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> On 6. Jul 2010, at 3:26, Christopher Chan<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>>> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?
>>

>> mdadm --assemble --scan
>
> Result: "No arrays found in config file"

mdadm --query /dev/sdx1

I hope they are intact enough...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Matthias Brennwald

On 6. Jul 2010, at 9:08, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

> On 6. Jul 2010, at 3:26, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>>> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?
>>

>> mdadm --assemble --scan
>
> Result: "No arrays found in config file"
>

> On 6. Jul 2010, at 8:26, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> # apt-get install mdadm
>> # mdadm --auto-detect
>
> I skipped the "apt-get install" because I am using the Ubuntu Alternate Disk which already has mdadm. Then I ran "mdadm --auto-detect", which gave no result.
>
> Do I have to specifiy the md devices explicitly somehow? These would be /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 (plus the spare /dev/sde1)
>
> Just a note that might be important (but I am not sure): before entering the shell of the alternate disk I was asked about the root file system and where I wanted to execute the shell. I chose "do not use a root file system" and "execute shell in installer environment".
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Matthias

I tried a little more (inspired by http://fts.ifac.cnr.it/cgi-bin/dwww/usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.recipes.gz ):
mdadm --assemble --auto=yes --force /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

Result:
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdb1: No such file or directoy
mdadm: /dev/sdb1 has no superblock - assembly aborted

Then I looked at /dev/sdb using "fdisk -l". The output of this is too long to copy it (I am typing everything manually here, because I have no clue how to transfer a file from the machine running the rescue disk). Here are the last two lines (the rest does not mean much to me):

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 243202 1953514583+ ee GPT

What do you guys think?

Matthias

Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Christopher Chan wrote:

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk
<mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:

On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 01:30 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu
Server 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different
disk) was on a md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare
disk). This morning I tried to log in remotely using ssh, but
immediately after login the terminal was closed again (so the
machine was still running somehow, but it did not want me to be
logged in).

> I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to
try logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a
message that the md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue
booting. I answered yes. Immediately after this, I got a message
saying that a device/disk UUID could not be found and then got an
"(initramfs)" shell.

> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate
installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid
support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix
things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the
machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I
try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?

mdadm --assemble --scan

I believe that after booting the live cd you can do install any software
you need to proceed.
It will disappear when you reboot. But if you are more comfortable in
the live cd environment that's an option. (Actually I'm extrapolating
from another distribution, but I believe I am correct).

He's trying to fix his raid array. I personally would just use TRK than
the Ubuntu Live CD for this purpose.

You might be able to assemble the arrays in the initramfs shell. I was.
/bin/mdadm -A --scan should find them. You can also boot a live CD and
assemble the arrays there, but if you use the desktop you will need to
install mdadm. From there see if you can fix whatever is degraded. They
are most likely out of sync or something the the Disk Utility on the
live CD can fix.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
-- Yogi Berra

--

Signature
Robert

Principal

Steinmetz & Associates

Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Title: Signature

Matthias Brennwald wrote:

[...]

Do you have or have you ever had a fakeraid on these drives? I had a
similar message recently with the Live CD attempting to activate some
non-existent fakeraid. The "nodmraid" option eliminated the problem.
I'm not sure if that option is available on the alternate install disk.
Look in /dev/mapper and see if there is anything odd in there. Try
running mdadm from inside the initramfs shell if you can assemble them
there you can probably boot from that point, or try booting the Live CD
with the F6 nodmraid option.* *