Old 07-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default linux-image-server

Hi,

I am using http method to install ubuntu server over the network. I do
use ks.cfg file. Basically network based installations. I have
tftpd/dhcpd/apache2 servers to serve this purpose The issue is that
after installing ubuntu 8.04 server on the client host, I see the
generic kernel being installed and not the server kernel.

I did manually by running apt-get install linux-image-server on the
client host. It installed the server kernel which is a manual method.
is there a way to fix it on the pxe image itself so that whenever new
clients are being build with Ubuntu 8.04 server. It installs server
kernel and not generic kernel.

Please let me know if i need to furnish additional information about my setup.
Please suggest/guide further.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/11/how-to-configure-pxe-network-booting-on-ubuntu-for-network-based-installations/

Thanks,

Kaushal

Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

In the article, did you see to type server?
"To install only the base system type ’server’, then ENTER."
Did the generic kernel get installed then?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the article, did you see to type server?
> "To install only the base system type ’server’, then ENTER."
> Did the generic kernel get installed then?
>
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using http method to install ubuntu server over the network. I do
>> use ks.cfg file. Basically network based installations. I have
>> tftpd/dhcpd/apache2 servers to serve this purpose The issue is that
>> after installing ubuntu 8.04 server on the client host, I see the
>> generic kernel being installed and not the server kernel.
>>
>> I did manually by running apt-get install linux-image-server on the
>> client host. It installed the server kernel which is a manual method.
>> is there a way to fix it on the pxe image itself so that whenever new
>> clients are being build with Ubuntu 8.04 server. It installs server
>> kernel and not generic kernel.
>>
>> Please let me know if i need to furnish additional information about my setup.
>> Please suggest/guide further.
>>
>> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/11/how-to-configure-pxe-network-booting-on-ubuntu-for-network-based-installations/
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kaushal
>>
>> --

Hi Johnneylee Rollins

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not have that option in my setup. Do
you want me to pastebin the configs ?

Please suggest/further.

Thanks,

Kaushal