Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
pete

Default screensaver freezes system totally

Hi all,

Having talked a friend into trying ubumtu 10.4 lucid (he's running the
64 bit version), He is encountering a problem that I have never come
across before.

Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
a hard reset!

His system spec are

AMD athlon dual core processor:
Nvidia graphics (dunno which 1) using Nvidia current driver
4gb ram

where would I find the relevant logs to try and start de-bugging this
annoyance.

note I am running the same system (installed from the same live cd) with
no issues and cannot reproduce his issue although my machine does differ
from his in the hardware.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated

Regards

Pete

Old 07-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Karl Larsen

On 07/05/2010 05:25 AM, pete wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having talked a friend into trying ubumtu 10.4 lucid (he's running the
> 64 bit version), He is encountering a problem that I have never come
> across before.
>
> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
> a hard reset!
>
> His system spec are
>
> AMD athlon dual core processor:
> Nvidia graphics (dunno which 1) using Nvidia current driver
> 4gb ram
>
> where would I find the relevant logs to try and start de-bugging this
> annoyance.
>
> note I am running the same system (installed from the same live cd) with
> no issues and cannot reproduce his issue although my machine does differ
> from his in the hardware.

First turn off the screen saver and make sure it still freezes in
about 20 mins. It should. It could be a problem with the Nvidia
software. These are my thoughts :-)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Sean McGowan

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:25 +0100, pete wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having talked a friend into trying ubumtu 10.4 lucid (he's running the
> 64 bit version), He is encountering a problem that I have never come
> across before.
>
> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
> a hard reset!
>
> His system spec are
>
> AMD athlon dual core processor:
> Nvidia graphics (dunno which 1) using Nvidia current driver
> 4gb ram

I run a similar configuration, with only 3gb RAM and have not
experienced these issues.

> where would I find the relevant logs to try and start de-bugging this
> annoyance.
relaunch the daemon (gnome-screensaver) with the --debug option. It will log in the /tmp directory.

First, however, I would look at the power management settings.
Systems->Preferences-Power Management, or you can get there from
Systems->Preferences-screensaver if you already have it open.

Is your computer set to hibernate? Or monitor set to go to sleep? Turn
these options off and see if you run in to the same issue.

Good luck,

--
Sean McGowan

// Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
pete

On 05/07/10 16:55, Sean McGowan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:25 +0100, pete wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Having talked a friend into trying ubumtu 10.4 lucid (he's running the
>> 64 bit version), He is encountering a problem that I have never come
>> across before.
>>
>> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
>> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
>> a hard reset!
>>
>> His system spec are
>>
>> AMD athlon dual core processor:
>> Nvidia graphics (dunno which 1) using Nvidia current driver
>> 4gb ram
>
> I run a similar configuration, with only 3gb RAM and have not
> experienced these issues.
>
>> where would I find the relevant logs to try and start de-bugging this
>> annoyance.
> relaunch the daemon (gnome-screensaver) with the --debug option. It will log in the /tmp directory.
>
> First, however, I would look at the power management settings.
> Systems->Preferences-Power Management, or you can get there from
> Systems->Preferences-screensaver if you already have it open.
>
> Is your computer set to hibernate? Or monitor set to go to sleep? Turn
> these options off and see if you run in to the same issue.
>

> Good luck,

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, no issues without screensaver turned on all
power management set to never!

If I start the daemon with the --debug option and it saves to a /temp
dir will it delete it if we need to hard reset the machine?

Have noticed that lasts longer without freezing if using 2d not 3d
screensavers (still freezes but takes 1hr or more!), wondering if th x
server is on the fritz! will check log tomorrow and post back if i find
anything!

if anyone has had similar issues please let me know as I don't know
wether to post a bug....or what the bug is in!

Regards

Pete

Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
pete

On 05/07/10 23:39, pete wrote:
> On 05/07/10 16:55, Sean McGowan wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:25 +0100, pete wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Having talked a friend into trying ubumtu 10.4 lucid (he's running the
>>> 64 bit version), He is encountering a problem that I have never come
>>> across before.
>>>
>>> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
>>> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
>>> a hard reset!
>>>
>>> His system spec are
>>>
>>> AMD athlon dual core processor:
>>> Nvidia graphics (dunno which 1) using Nvidia current driver
>>> 4gb ram
>>
>> I run a similar configuration, with only 3gb RAM and have not
>> experienced these issues.
>>
>>> where would I find the relevant logs to try and start de-bugging this
>>> annoyance.
>> relaunch the daemon (gnome-screensaver) with the --debug option. It will log in the /tmp directory.
>>
>> First, however, I would look at the power management settings.
>> Systems->Preferences-Power Management, or you can get there from
>> Systems->Preferences-screensaver if you already have it open.
>>
>> Is your computer set to hibernate? Or monitor set to go to sleep? Turn
>> these options off and see if you run in to the same issue.
>>

>> Good luck,
>>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, no issues without screensaver turned on all
> power management set to never!
>
> If I start the daemon with the --debug option and it saves to a /temp
> dir will it delete it if we need to hard reset the machine?
>
> Have noticed that lasts longer without freezing if using 2d not 3d
> screensavers (still freezes but takes 1hr or more!), wondering if th x
> server is on the fritz! will check log tomorrow and post back if i find
> anything!
>
> if anyone has had similar issues please let me know as I don't know
> wether to post a bug....or what the bug is in!
>
> Regards
>
> Pete

Hi,

Just an update, we completely re-installed 10.4 on his system last
night, and all appears well! At present he is NOT using compiz, or the
3d screensavers, going to introduce them slowly of the next couple of
days to try and pin down what is causing the issue.

For info so far we can rule out the Nvidia current driver as this is
installed and active, and the problem does not seem to be there.

Thanks for all your suggestions and i will keep this list up to date if
the problem resurfaces.

Regards

Pete

Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
"A. Kromic"

On 05/07/10 13:25, pete wrote:

> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
> a hard reset!

I have experienced a similar problem, it's 10.04 AMD64, an I use Compiz
and screensaver was 3D; however, my GPU is Intel's. It doesn't really
lock the whole system, just the screen, and even like that, windows
temporarily showed when I used Alt+Tab. They wouldn't stay, but it was
enough to bring up a terminal window and blindly pkill the screensaver...

Best regards,
A. Kromic

Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
pete

On 07/07/10 14:56, A. Kromic wrote:
> On 05/07/10 13:25, pete wrote:
>>
>> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
>> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
>> a hard reset!

> I have experienced a similar problem, it's 10.04 AMD64, an I use Compiz
> and screensaver was 3D; however, my GPU is Intel's. It doesn't really
> lock the whole system, just the screen, and even like that, windows
> temporarily showed when I used Alt+Tab. They wouldn't stay, but it was
> enough to bring up a terminal window and blindly pkill the screensaver...
>
> Best regards,
> A. Kromic

Hi,

This problem has reared it head again, his machine only had 'wobbly
windows' activated. good news this time i was there to check the logs!

the system log said it was running 'cron' as root then it stated that
'no one cares, try booting without irq module' prior to freeze up.

All of which means nothing except that we do care! a brief bit of
googleing only digs up posts from 2001 / 2002 and are far to technical
for me to follow!

so my question is this why has this old (?) problem resurfaced now and
only on his machine, would following such an outdated solution work on
newer versions?

any help at all we would be grateful!

Pete

Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
"j.e.aneiros"

Hi Pete,
Perhaps you could enable SSH (sudo aptitude install openssh-server) and ssh into the machine to see what's happening when the system freezes again.
--aneiros

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM, pete <peter.smout@o2.co.uk> wrote:

On 07/07/10 14:56, A. Kromic wrote:

> On 05/07/10 13:25, pete wrote:

>> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it

>> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is

>> a hard reset!

> I have experienced a similar problem, it's 10.04 AMD64, an I use Compiz

> and screensaver was 3D; however, my GPU is Intel's. It doesn't really

> lock the whole system, just the screen, and even like that, windows

> temporarily showed when I used Alt+Tab. They wouldn't stay, but it was

> enough to bring up a terminal window and blindly pkill the screensaver...

> Best regards,

> A. Kromic

Hi,

This problem has reared it head again, his machine only had 'wobbly

windows' activated. good news this time i was there to check the logs!

the system log said it was running 'cron' as root then it stated that

'no one cares, try booting without irq module' prior to freeze up.

All of which means nothing except that we do care! a brief bit of

googleing only digs up posts from 2001 / 2002 and are far to technical

for me to follow!

so my question is this why has this old (?) problem resurfaced now and

only on his machine, would following such an outdated solution work on

newer versions?

any help at all we would be grateful!

Pete

Jesus Aneiros Sosa
Debian GNU/Linux User #190716 en http://counter.li.org
perl -e '$_=pack(c5,0105,0107,0123,0132,(1<<3)+2);y[A-Z][N-ZA-M];print;'

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3A99541C
PK fingerprint: ABAF EA38 EFAD 9242 4987* EAEA 935A 39B0 3A99 541C

Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM
pete

On 10/07/10 11:53, j.e.aneiros wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> Perhaps you could enable SSH (sudo aptitude install openssh-server) and
> ssh into the machine to see what's happening when the system freezes again.
>
> --aneiros
>
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM, pete <peter.smout@o2.co.uk
> <mailtoeter.smout@o2.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> On 07/07/10 14:56, A. Kromic wrote:
> > On 05/07/10 13:25, pete wrote:
> >>
> >> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
> >> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing
> left is
> >> a hard reset!

> > I have experienced a similar problem, it's 10.04 AMD64, an I use
> Compiz
> > and screensaver was 3D; however, my GPU is Intel's. It doesn't really
> > lock the whole system, just the screen, and even like that, windows
> > temporarily showed when I used Alt+Tab. They wouldn't stay, but
> it was
> > enough to bring up a terminal window and blindly pkill the
> screensaver...
> >
> > Best regards,
> > A. Kromic
> >
> Hi,
>
> This problem has reared it head again, his machine only had 'wobbly
> windows' activated. good news this time i was there to check the logs!
>
> the system log said it was running 'cron' as root then it stated that
> 'no one cares, try booting without irq module' prior to freeze up.
>
> All of which means nothing except that we do care! a brief bit of
> googleing only digs up posts from 2001 / 2002 and are far to technical
> for me to follow!
>
> so my question is this why has this old (?) problem resurfaced now and
> only on his machine, would following such an outdated solution work on
> newer versions?
>
> any help at all we would be grateful!
>
> Pete

> Jesus Aneiros Sosa
> Debian GNU/Linux User #190716 en http://counter.li.org
> perl -e '$_=pack(c5,0105,0107,0123,0132,(1<<3)+2);y[A-Z][N-ZA-M];print;'
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3A99541C
> <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3A99541C>
> PK fingerprint: ABAF EA38 EFAD 9242 4987 EAEA 935A 39B0 3A99 541C

hi aneirous,

run the command yuo suggested on my machine (my understanding is that I
can remotely access his machine?) as I have never ssh'd before this is
all new to me and would appreciate some guidance (just off to google
now) if you can provide any guidance at all I would appreciate it, you
can contact me off list if you prefer to prevent this list becoming
clogged with my learning needs!

Many thanks

Pete

Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
NoOp

On 07/10/2010 02:45 AM, pete wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This problem has reared it head again, his machine only had 'wobbly
> windows' activated. good news this time i was there to check the logs!
>
> the system log said it was running 'cron' as root then it stated that
> 'no one cares, try booting without irq module' prior to freeze up.
>
> All of which means nothing except that we do care! a brief bit of
> googleing only digs up posts from 2001 / 2002 and are far to technical
> for me to follow!
>
> so my question is this why has this old (?) problem resurfaced now and
> only on his machine, would following such an outdated solution work on
> newer versions?

Nowhere do to state _which_ screensaver is being used. Some screensavers
are/were IMO junk and/or were simply too gpu intensive for some
hardware. In order to troubleshoot just use the default where the screen
blanks; that will tell if it's an actual screensaver application, or if
it's the screensaver routine itself. If that causes no problems go to
the screensaver he was using and test. In each case keep track of
_which_ screensaver option was being used.
There are many screensavers... some work on some hardware, some don't.
Simply stating that the screensaver is freezing the system does no good
without supplying details.

Also, you'll need to tell us which nvidia card and driver he is using.
Provide the VGA section from:

$ sudo lspci -v

Example output:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25GL [Quadro4 900 XGL]
(rev a3)
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device 0138
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 16
Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at f4780000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fe9e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia-96, nvidiafb, rivafb, nouveau