Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Default Network Manager configuration

Hi all,

I need to configure Network Manager that only super-user can manage eth0
and every other interface (such as eth1 .. ethX) can be managed by every
user.
First question, is this possible? And if yes, how do I need to implement
this?

Thanks and all the best,
Simon

Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
NoOp

On 07/05/2010 03:04 AM, ubuntu@cgi-net.ch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to configure Network Manager that only super-user can manage eth0
> and every other interface (such as eth1 .. ethX) can be managed by every
> user.
> First question, is this possible? And if yes, how do I need to implement
> this?
>
> Thanks and all the best,
> Simon

I _think_ you can do this by not checking 'Available to all users' in
the eth0 setup. And of course checking that for the other interfaces.

If that isn't what you're looking for, these might be of help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7
(that's outdated & needs to be updated to NM 0.8)
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
(note the 'Wired Networks are Unmanaged' part - not sure if that applies
to Ubuntu 10.04, but worth checking)
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/users/
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
NoOp

On 07/05/2010 10:28 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 03:04 AM, ubuntu@cgi-net.ch wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to configure Network Manager that only super-user can manage eth0
>> and every other interface (such as eth1 .. ethX) can be managed by every
>> user.
>> First question, is this possible? And if yes, how do I need to implement
>> this?
>>
>> Thanks and all the best,
>> Simon
>>

> I _think_ you can do this by not checking 'Available to all users' in
> the eth0 setup. And of course checking that for the other interfaces.
>
> If that isn't what you're looking for, these might be of help:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7
> (that's outdated & needs to be updated to NM 0.8)
> http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
> (note the 'Wired Networks are Unmanaged' part - not sure if that applies
> to Ubuntu 10.04, but worth checking)
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/users/
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

Sorry, I forgot these: