-   -   Do not cache during backup (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/395056-do-not-cache-during-backup.html)

Loïc Grenié 07-05-2010 09:49 AM

Do not cache during backup

Hi,

I use BackupPC for my backup and am rather happy about the
result.

I have a small problem though: once a week BackupPC does a
nearly complete

tar -czf - /

on my computer (and sends the result to the backup host) (Note:
the tar command is more complicated because it does not read
/proc, /sys and some other filesystems but the idea is the same).
This tar obviously reads all the files in memory and thus invalidate
the file cache. I would like that this "tar" does not pollute too much
the file cache.

Is it possible to limit (or even disable) file cache for
*this specific* command ? I have 4G of RAM, so that limiting to
100-300M of page cache should be enough.

Thanks for any help,

Loïc