Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Arnaud BLONDEL - Alter Way Solutions

Default Migrate Windows 2000 AD to Ubuntu 10.4

hi,

I want to migrate from Active Directory (Windows 2000 server) to Samba /
LDAP (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS)

I followed these steps :

- Install Ubuntu 10.4 as BDC of the domain
- set SSID in Samba
- use net vampire process to extract information of AD
- Stop Windows 2000 server
- Restart Samba as PDC of the domain.

Now, Windows client were unable to connect to my domain.
Have I to pass client in WORKGROUP and add to my domain ?

I would like it to be transparent for computers, is it possible or I
have to configure all computers again ?

Any idea ?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Olivier Nicole

Hi,

> - use net vampire process to extract information of AD

I am not sure what vampire covers, but for a machine to be recognized
into a domain managed by samba, you need to have a Unix user with the
name of the machine postfixed with a $ (for a machine comp you need a
Unix user account comp$).

This machine account must exist in your LDAP directory.

As a general process, I would install the Samba controler+LDAP on a
test domain, try to attach one machine to that domain and acertain
everything is running fine. I would migrate all the clients only after
the test has succeeded.

Best regards,

Olivier

Mon Jul 5 12:30:01 2010