Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default How to determine which codec a video is encoded in

I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
there anything for Linux / Ubuntu? I have googled and found nothing,
and the ffmpeg manpage does not give any information on the topic. I
even tried "strings" on the files but that yielded nothing useful!

Thanks in advance.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Olivier Nicole

> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is

Have you tried the command file(1)?

# file les-tontons-flingueurs.avi
les-tontons-flingueurs.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 672 x 400, 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

Olivier

Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Karl Larsen

On 07/05/2010 03:35 AM, Olivier Nicole wrote:
>> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
>> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
>>
> Have you tried the command file(1)?
>
> # file les-tontons-flingueurs.avi
> les-tontons-flingueurs.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 672 x 400, 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)
>
> Olivier

Simply excellent!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM
andrew clarke

On Mon 2010-07-05 12:27:17 UTC+0300, Dotan Cohen (dotancohen@gmail.com) wrote:

> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
> there anything for Linux / Ubuntu? I have googled and found nothing,
> and the ffmpeg manpage does not give any information on the topic. I
> even tried "strings" on the files but that yielded nothing useful!

MediaInfo. There is a command-line and GUI version.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

It is not currently in the Ubuntu repos, but you can install it from
the MediaInfo PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mediainfo

Regards
Andrew

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM
James Bensley

Just paly it in VLC or SMplayer/Mplayer and look at the codec details there?

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and 9 others...?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Karl Larsen

On 07/05/2010 10:36 AM, James Bensley wrote:
> Just paly it in VLC or SMplayer/Mplayer and look at the codec details there?

I found out that doing this displays the codec details. In a
terminal type:

$ file name where name is the file name you want to check. It is simple
and fast.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Florian Diesch

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
> there anything for Linux / Ubuntu? I have googled and found nothing,
> and the ffmpeg manpage does not give any information on the topic. I
> even tried "strings" on the files but that yielded nothing useful!

I'm using this shell function:

vinfo(){
mplayer -vo null -ao null -frames 0 -identify "$@" 2>/dev/null | grep "^ID"
}

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/linux/asciipinguine.html>

Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 5 July 2010 12:35, Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
>> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
>> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
>
> Have you tried the command file(1)?
>
> # file les-tontons-flingueurs.avi
> les-tontons-flingueurs.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 672 x 400, 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

Wow, thanks, I did not even think about using file! Although it does
not give me the detailed output that you got, it does give me some:
✈dcl:toDesktop$ file Little E playing piano.3gp
Little E playing piano.3gp: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1
✈dcl:toDesktop$ file d02-001.3gp
d02-001.3gp: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, 3GPP

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 5 July 2010 16:49, andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com> wrote:
> On Mon 2010-07-05 12:27:17 UTC+0300, Dotan Cohen (dotancohen@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
>> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
>> there anything for Linux / Ubuntu? I have googled and found nothing,
>> and the ffmpeg manpage does not give any information on the topic. I
>> even tried "strings" on the files but that yielded nothing useful!
>
> MediaInfo. *There is a command-line and GUI version.
>
> http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
>
> It is not currently in the Ubuntu repos, but you can install it from
> the MediaInfo PPA:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install mediainfo

Thanks, Andrew, I will give that app a try.

How did you come across that app? Google? On what keywords, my
Google-foo is getting weak I see.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 5 July 2010 19:36, James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just paly it in VLC or SMplayer/Mplayer and look at the codec details there?

For some reason, a late VLC does not give that information for me:

✈dcl:toDesktop$ vlc d02-001.3gp
VLC media player 1.0.2 Goldeneye
[0x9bf9768] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0xb7408c28] pulse audio output: No. of Audio Channels: 1
[0xb7408c28] pulse audio output error: Failed to connect to server:
Connection refused
[0xb7408c28] pulse audio output error: Pulse initialization failed
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1

Mplayer does have it, if one already knows what to look for, but if
there is an easier way to get that info (there is, simply "file") then
I do prefer that:

✈dcl:toDesktop$ mplayer d02-001.3gp
MPlayer SVN-r29237-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing d02-001.3gp.
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] Video stream found, -vid 0
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 1
VIDEO: [mp4v] 640x480 24bpp 1000.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] Can't open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory.
[VO_3DFX] Unable to open /dev/3dfx.
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 0.0 kbit/0.00% (ratio: 0->16000)
Selected audio codec: [ffamrnb] afm: ffmpeg (AMR Narrowband)
[pulse] working around probably broken pause functionality,
see http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/440
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 1ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 640x480 => 640x480 Planar YV12

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen