Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
rbv

Default Leaving Ubuntu back to Windows

May be Ubuntu is not for people like me, with very limited or no
knowledge of software technology.

Brasaro has spoiled my DVD RW, all types, Blanking them has left them
unusable again anywhere.

Would not read USBs,* USB mouse hangs every now and then, i have to
unplug and plug again and again in different USB ports, suddenly in one
of them it will work for some time.

Browser crashed often, after the latest update.

Machine makes a lot of grinder noise, when i insert an ordinary movie
CD or DVD to play,

It is its wim and wish, to read or not to read any CD or DVD.

I have been not been able to install my nVidia graphic card, when i
activate it the system would not start. It simply hangs, with a curser
at the right corner of the screen blinking happily forever. I have to
cut the electric supply and retry again to the same effect, forceing to
start with live DVD and reinstall all over, formatting my hard disk. It
is pathetic i cannot use my graphic card.

Lot of Java problems.* NSEindia.com.

I am afraid , the forum is not for people like me, but only for experts
in software.

By paying some money i get a Fit it and Forget it OS in Windows, am i
wrong.

I may be asked for details, only to be rediculed, about my lack of
knowledge.

Most of the applications MAY be updated and not supported or certified
by Ubuntu. For Windows, there are any number of Free software for any
task.

My children can not play any of the game demos even.

I may be called childish, but for a simpleton like me, do i have a
choice.

regards

Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Nathan Bahn

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM, rbv <rajaramanbv@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

rbv--
some unsolicited advice:* don't perform any financial transactions online and ditto for any sensitive info as well.* I wish you the best of luck in the Window$ environment.

--nb
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html & http://www.openoffice.org (Nathan Bahn)

Old 07-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Wade Smart

rbv wrote:
> May be Ubuntu is not for people like me, with very limited or no
> knowledge of software technology.
>
> Brasaro has spoiled my DVD RW, all types, Blanking them has left them
> unusable again anywhere.
>
> Would not read USBs, USB mouse hangs every now and then, i have to
> unplug and plug again and again in different USB ports, suddenly in one
> of them it will work for some time.
>
> Browser crashed often, after the latest update.
>
> Machine makes a lot of grinder noise, when i insert an ordinary movie CD
> or DVD to play,
>
> It is its wim and wish, to read or not to read any CD or DVD.
>
> I have been not been able to install my nVidia graphic card, when i
> activate it the system would not start. It simply hangs, with a curser
> at the right corner of the screen blinking happily forever. I have to
> cut the electric supply and retry again to the same effect, forceing to
> start with live DVD and reinstall all over, formatting my hard disk. It
> is pathetic i cannot use my graphic card.
>
> Lot of Java problems. NSEindia.com.
>
> I am afraid , the forum is not for people like me, but only for experts
> in software.
>
> By paying some money i get a Fit it and Forget it OS in Windows, am i wrong.
>
> I may be asked for details, only to be rediculed, about my lack of
> knowledge.
>
> Most of the applications MAY be updated and not supported or certified
> by Ubuntu. For Windows, there are any number of Free software for any task.
>
> My children can not play any of the game demos even.
>
> I may be called childish, but for a simpleton like me, do i have a choice.
>
> regards

You do have a choice and you are making it.

Lets start with this. On 6-25 you posted a email about multiples of
items. How about starting with asking 1 question, getting that solved
and then asking another.

And there are more than one place to ask questions - about how about
forums.

I dont see anything in your emails about your system. How old is this
computer? What hardware do you have?

Is Ubuntu for every machine? No. Some machines take work - others, not
so much.

As for choice: Windows is mandated to a degree and you see no other
option but that. This isnt a use this instead of that OS. This is, you
have alternatives but you will have to learn about your alternatives
before you can use them.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM
rbv

[...]

& http://www.openoffice.org
(Nathan Bahn)

nb

Thank you for your advice, it is most welcome. But that is what i do
everyday several times a day, financial transations, money transfer,
share buying selling everything sensitive. Precisely for this reason i
tried, in a new seperate machine, Ubuntu, exclusively for my personal
use for these transactions. Even my son who is a MS software engineer,
says he is unable to help. In his office they all use Windows he says.
I am thanking you

rbv

Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Karl Larsen

[...]

*** *** It sounds like your so poor at Ubuntu you can't even ask the
right questions. I can give you some help but it sounds like going back
to Windows is what you want. Too bad.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Nathan Bahn

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM, rbv <rajaramanbv@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Am I correct in understanding you as saying that your son works FOR M$???!!!* Good god. * I firmly believe that good and trustworthy security can be only obtained by Reading The Fine Manual (RTFM can also stand for something slightly different.....)

Old 07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
rbv

[...]

Intel 965 chipset motherboard

DDR2 SDRAM 667Mz 2 plus 1 total 3 GB

Intel Dual Core

LG DVD writer

nVidia GeForce 8400 GS

80 GB Hitachi hard disk

This machine was working with Windows Vista 64 bit, earlier, which i
totally formatted and installed Ubuntu Karmac, then upgraded to 10.04
online through update manager.

only when so many learned people warned me about Windows phishing and
all, i changed to Ubuntu.

I will be pleased to provide any detail you ask for

rbv

Old 07-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Karl Larsen

[...]

*** *** Pretty small hard drive. Suggest you get a larger one, say 160
GB. You can load a 64 bit version of Ubuntu. I think you should start
with the version 10.04* LiveCD for installing a simple Desktop.

*** When it comes up look for problems. Ask for help on ONLY ONE at a
time. You WILL get help that way :-)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
rbv

[...]

HO NO, he is not working for MS, He is a Master of Science in software
engineeing degree holder, working in SAP enterprise implementation area
and i , an accountant with limited or no computer inside knowledge. My
son has even lesser knowhow about these problems i face, he himself
says so

rbv

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Jon Cosby

only when so many learned people warned me about Windows phishing and
all, i changed to Ubuntu.

Phishing doesn't target any OS. You might do some reading on this, it would be good for you to know what you are dealing with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

*
Jon