Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Andrew

Default Printing emails from Evolution

I'm running karmic (ubuntu 9.10) with Evolution 2.28.1 and am having
problems printing emails - eg flight tickets from e-bookings. My
printers (HP colour laserjet 3500 and deskjet 1120C) appear to be
installed correctly and print OK from other applications, but apparently
refuse to respond to requests to print emails. Has anybody else
experienced this problem and any suggestions for solution please?

Andy

Old 07-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 19:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> I'm running karmic (ubuntu 9.10) with Evolution 2.28.1 and am having
> problems printing emails - eg flight tickets from e-bookings. My
> printers (HP colour laserjet 3500 and deskjet 1120C) appear to be
> installed correctly and print OK from other applications, but apparently
> refuse to respond to requests to print emails. Has anybody else
> experienced this problem and any suggestions for solution please?
>
> Andy

I don't have any problems printing from Evolution. Does File > Print
Preview work? I have the latest update of Evolution (2.28.3).

Are there any error messages? Do you get the Print dialogue?

Tony

Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Andrew

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 23:15 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 19:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> > I'm running karmic (ubuntu 9.10) with Evolution 2.28.1 and am having
> > problems printing emails - eg flight tickets from e-bookings. My
> > printers (HP colour laserjet 3500 and deskjet 1120C) appear to be
> > installed correctly and print OK from other applications, but apparently
> > refuse to respond to requests to print emails. Has anybody else
> > experienced this problem and any suggestions for solution please?
> >
> > Andy
> >

> I don't have any problems printing from Evolution. Does File > Print
> Preview work? I have the latest update of Evolution (2.28.3).
>
> Are there any error messages? Do you get the Print dialogue?
>
> Tony

Everything appears to be normal with no error messages. The job goes
into the printer queue (Document Print Status), which gives the status
as 'processing'. But then nothing happens and the job is never printed!
It could be that this is a problem with the printer itself, but it seems
absolutely fine with other applications.

Andy

Old 07-05-2010, 05:04 PM
NoOp

On 07/05/2010 09:39 AM, Andrew wrote:
> Everything appears to be normal with no error messages. The job goes
> into the printer queue (Document Print Status), which gives the status
> as 'processing'. But then nothing happens and the job is never printed!
> It could be that this is a problem with the printer itself, but it seems
> absolutely fine with other applications.

I had a similar problem printing a 20Mb set of photos from Picasa the
other day. Let it set on 'Processing' for over 20 minutes. Even tried
restarting cups ('sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart') - nothing. I then
turned off the printer and turned it back on & the print job went
through. Not sure what happened as I had to get the photos printed for
the mail & didn't have time to look in the logs to check.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Tony Pursell

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 17:39 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 23:15 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 19:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> > > I'm running karmic (ubuntu 9.10) with Evolution 2.28.1 and am having
> > > problems printing emails - eg flight tickets from e-bookings. My
> > > printers (HP colour laserjet 3500 and deskjet 1120C) appear to be
> > > installed correctly and print OK from other applications, but apparently
> > > refuse to respond to requests to print emails. Has anybody else
> > > experienced this problem and any suggestions for solution please?
> > >
> > > Andy
> > >

> > I don't have any problems printing from Evolution. Does File > Print
> > Preview work? I have the latest update of Evolution (2.28.3).
> >
> > Are there any error messages? Do you get the Print dialogue?
> >
> > Tony
>
> Everything appears to be normal with no error messages. The job goes
> into the printer queue (Document Print Status), which gives the status
> as 'processing'. But then nothing happens and the job is never printed!
> It could be that this is a problem with the printer itself, but it seems
> absolutely fine with other applications.
>
> Andy

'Processing...' shows that the printer was accepting work and the job
has been sent to the printer. So it is possibly a printer problem. Is
it all emails that don't print? If you choose 'Preview' in the Print
Dialog, does it seem OK?

Both printers are supported, especially the 1120C, see:-

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-Color_LaserJet_3500
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-DeskJet_1120C

Tony

Old 07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Andrew

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 22:37 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:

> 'Processing...' shows that the printer was accepting work and the job
> has been sent to the printer. So it is possibly a printer problem. Is
> it all emails that don't print? If you choose 'Preview' in the Print
> Dialog, does it seem OK?
>
> Both printers are supported, especially the 1120C, see:-
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-Color_LaserJet_3500
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-DeskJet_1120C

It appears that the problem was simply that, in the printing dialogue
panel, 'Even pages only' was selected, although I can't remember doing
this. Furthermore, since I was requesting it to print only 'page 1' of
the email in question it wasn't printing anything. So 'mea culpa' I'm
afraid and in future I must make sure I check on that - but thanks for
all the helpful advice and suggestions anyway.

Andy