Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default should package installation *start* the package?

curious about best practises for creating ubuntu packages -- should
simple installation of a package also automatically *start* the
package if it's a "service"-type package that comes with the standard
/etc/init.d init script? i'd always thought that whether or not a
package should be started should be an independent decision from
simple installation, but i'm willing to be corrected.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *curious about best practises for creating ubuntu packages -- should
> simple installation of a package also automatically *start* the
> package if it's a "service"-type package that comes with the standard
> /etc/init.d init script? *i'd always thought that whether or not a
> package should be started should be an independent decision from
> simple installation, but i'm willing to be corrected.
>
> rday

I'm not an expert in this, but I would expect installation of a
package to start any services associated with that package. It seems
like that follows the principle of least surprise.

If the new service would be started anyway the next time the machine
reboots (or the user logs out and back in), it seems like it should be
started at the time of installation.

If it wouldn't be started upon next reboot/relogin, then how does the
user enable the service? Presumably via a menu item somewhere. I
guess I would argue that it would make sense for the service to be
enabled by default when installed. Why else might I install it?

my $.02

--wpd