Old 07-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Latest Firefox 3.6.6 - I don't like it... *SOLVED*

On 03/07/10 07:07, Traveller wrote:
> On 01/07/2010 11:40 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I'll be damned.
>>>

>> Welcome to the club :-) .
>>

>>> It looks like Alpine, which I also have on my system,
>>> doesn't have the problem but Mutt does. Alpine has the FF path right in
>>> it's configuration file but Mutt depends on urlscan or urlview (separate
>>> programs from Mutt) to call the browser. The
>>> /usr/share/doc/urlscan/README file says
>>>
>>> "urlscan uses sensible-browser to invoke the default Web browser of
>>> the current environment. To choose a particular browser, set the
>>> environment variable BROWSER; e.g.,
>>>
>>> export BROWSER=/usr/bin/epiphany"
>>>
>>> which, of course, changes to FF. Only used T'bird briefly a few years
>>> ago and can't remember the where browser is called but he ~/.bashrc
>>> entry *should* be a universal fix (it says here in fine print).
>>>

>> I installed Maverick Alpha #2 earlier today and the same behaviour
>> happens between TB and FF: simply clicking on the link does nothing nor
>> does R-C'ing and selecting Open Link with Browser :-( . This feature has
>> been deaded :-( - for me at least.
>>
>> HOWEVER! Some good nooos!
>>
>> For many years I have had an add-on called Launchy installed in TB and
>> which never worked, so I disabled it.
>>
>> I decided to go for broke and re-activated it. And suddenly something
>> which didn't work for years sprang into life, and Launchy works! Means 3
>> more mouse clicks...but whose counting, eh? :-)
>>
>> BC
>>

> Just out of curiosity, have you checked Preferences> Attachments to
> make sure that FireFox is properly set as the handler for http? I had
> this sort of behaviour on my Windoze box awhile ago, and found that,
> even though the handler claimed to be FireFox, it was pointing in the
> wrong direction. I had to "re-aim" it, and all was well.
> Dave

BINGO!

The Attachments did show Firefox (Default) so one assumes that
everything is working perfectly. But not so. I selected for http and
https the OTHER box and then physically selected /usr/bin/firefox -
after which the click on link to start FF now works!

Many thanks for solving this vexing puzzle!

I am sure that quite a number of other people will now get TB to call up
FF (Billie are you reading?).

BC

Old 07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Billie Walsh

On 07/02/2010 11:28 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 03/07/10 07:07, Traveller wrote:

>>> Welcome to the club :-) .

>>> I installed Maverick Alpha #2 earlier today and the same behaviour
>>> happens between TB and FF: simply clicking on the link does nothing nor
>>> does R-C'ing and selecting Open Link with Browser :-( . This feature has
>>> been deaded :-( - for me at least.
>>>
>>> HOWEVER! Some good nooos!
>>>
>>> For many years I have had an add-on called Launchy installed in TB and
>>> which never worked, so I disabled it.
>>>
>>> I decided to go for broke and re-activated it. And suddenly something
>>> which didn't work for years sprang into life, and Launchy works! Means 3
>>> more mouse clicks...but whose counting, eh? :-)
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> Just out of curiosity, have you checked Preferences> Attachments to
>> make sure that FireFox is properly set as the handler for http? I had
>> this sort of behaviour on my Windoze box awhile ago, and found that,
>> even though the handler claimed to be FireFox, it was pointing in the
>> wrong direction. I had to "re-aim" it, and all was well.
>> Dave
>>

> BINGO!
>
> The Attachments did show Firefox (Default) so one assumes that
> everything is working perfectly. But not so. I selected for http and
> https the OTHER box and then physically selected /usr/bin/firefox -
> after which the click on link to start FF now works!
>
> Many thanks for solving this vexing puzzle!
>
> I am sure that quite a number of other people will now get TB to call up
> FF (Billie are you reading?).
>
> BC

I'm reading. I didn't have an issue with the update. In fact it "fixed"
a couple minor little annoyances I was having with Firefox.

And, by the way, I finally got my Wacom Tablet to work in Kubuntu. Took
most of yesterday off and on but it now works

Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Basis and Everybody

> BINGO!
>
> The Attachments did show Firefox (Default) so one assumes that
> everything is working perfectly. But not so. I selected for http and
> https the OTHER box and then physically selected /usr/bin/firefox -
> after which the click on link to start FF now works!

This solution looks interesting.
But so far I did not manage to find within Firefox "Preferences>Attachments".
What I did find is the following: K-menu > System Settings > Web
browser. There I simply set Firefox as default browser. Is that the
solution you are aiming at?

Thansk, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Basil Chupin

On 03/07/10 22:14, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Basis and Everybody
>

>> BINGO!
>>
>> The Attachments did show Firefox (Default) so one assumes that
>> everything is working perfectly. But not so. I selected for http and
>> https the OTHER box and then physically selected /usr/bin/firefox -
>> after which the click on link to start FF now works!
>>

> This solution looks interesting.
> But so far I did not manage to find within Firefox "Preferences>Attachments".
> What I did find is the following: K-menu> System Settings> Web
> browser. There I simply set Firefox as default browser. Is that the
> solution you are aiming at?

No, it's in Thunderbird and not Firefox: Preferences>Attachments.

But also see my other post where in the copy of TB on my wife's system
(running a different distro at the moment) the 'http' and 'https'
entries do not show :-( .

BC

Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Basil Chupin

On 03/07/10 21:33, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 11:28 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Just out of curiosity, have you checked Preferences> Attachments to
>>> make sure that FireFox is properly set as the handler for http? I had
>>> this sort of behaviour on my Windoze box awhile ago, and found that,
>>> even though the handler claimed to be FireFox, it was pointing in the
>>> wrong direction. I had to "re-aim" it, and all was well.
>>> Dave
>>>

>> BINGO!
>>
>> The Attachments did show Firefox (Default) so one assumes that
>> everything is working perfectly. But not so. I selected for http and
>> https the OTHER box and then physically selected /usr/bin/firefox -
>> after which the click on link to start FF now works!
>>
>> Many thanks for solving this vexing puzzle!
>>
>> I am sure that quite a number of other people will now get TB to call up
>> FF (Billie are you reading?).
>>
>> BC
>>

> I'm reading. I didn't have an issue with the update. In fact it "fixed"
> a couple minor little annoyances I was having with Firefox.

But, but...don't you have the problem with whatever version of TB you
are running where clicking on a link does not bring up Firefox?

> And, by the way, I finally got my Wacom Tablet to work in Kubuntu. Took
> most of yesterday off and on but it now works

Aaaah, now THAT is good news!

Tell all - how did you get it to finally work? Was it the new (?)0.6.6
driver?

BC

Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Billie Walsh

On 07/03/2010 08:31 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 03/07/10 21:33, Billie Walsh wrote:

>>> BINGO!
>>>
>>> The Attachments did show Firefox (Default) so one assumes that
>>> everything is working perfectly. But not so. I selected for http and
>>> https the OTHER box and then physically selected /usr/bin/firefox -
>>> after which the click on link to start FF now works!
>>>
>>> Many thanks for solving this vexing puzzle!
>>>
>>> I am sure that quite a number of other people will now get TB to call up
>>> FF (Billie are you reading?).
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> I'm reading. I didn't have an issue with the update. In fact it "fixed"
>> a couple minor little annoyances I was having with Firefox.
>>

> But, but...don't you have the problem with whatever version of TB you
> are running where clicking on a link does not bring up Firefox?

The update hasn't broken anything in my T'Bird to Firefox opening of
links. At least on the Desktop. I haven't tried the newest updates on my
laptop [ Kubuntu 10.4 ] and netbook [ Eeebuntu 10.4 ] yet. The updates
are done I just haven't started them back up since.

As ignorant as I am at how to fix things you would think I would be the
one in the deep brown sauce all the time, but for some stupid reason I
have very few issues. I hardly ever see any of the issues I see on the
lists. Most everything just seems to work for me. Maybe the Computer
Gods just smile on me because I am so ignorant.

Now, if they would just get Quanta updated for KDE 4.x I would be one
VERY happy camper.

>> And, by the way, I finally got my Wacom Tablet to work in Kubuntu. Took
>> most of yesterday off and on but it now works
>>

> Aaaah, now THAT is good news!
>
> Tell all - how did you get it to finally work? Was it the new (?)0.6.6
> driver?
>
> BC

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9496609&postcount=1

Has the simplest, easiest to read and follow, directions I've ever
found. And, Favux was very patient with all my stupid questions.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 09:06:09AM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:

........snip..........

> As ignorant as I am at how to fix things you would think I would be the
> one in the deep brown sauce all the time, but for some stupid reason I
> have very few issues. I hardly ever see any of the issues I see on the
> lists. Most everything just seems to work for me. Maybe the Computer
> Gods just smile on me because I am so ignorant.

.........snip...........

God how I hate people like that!

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Billie Walsh

On 07/03/2010 02:02 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 09:06:09AM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
> ........snip..........
>

>> As ignorant as I am at how to fix things you would think I would be the
>> one in the deep brown sauce all the time, but for some stupid reason I
>> have very few issues. I hardly ever see any of the issues I see on the
>> lists. Most everything just seems to work for me. Maybe the Computer
>> Gods just smile on me because I am so ignorant.
>>
> .........snip...........
>
> God how I hate people like that!

I'm sorry.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 02:39:56PM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 02:02 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 09:06:09AM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> >
> > ........snip..........
> >

> >> As ignorant as I am at how to fix things you would think I would be the
> >> one in the deep brown sauce all the time, but for some stupid reason I
> >> have very few issues. I hardly ever see any of the issues I see on the
> >> lists. Most everything just seems to work for me. Maybe the Computer
> >> Gods just smile on me because I am so ignorant.

> > God how I hate people like that!
> >

> I'm sorry.

Probably not your fault. Probably just a genetic experiment gone horribly
wrong :-)

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279