Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Jesus, am I using windows here or what????

OK, Firefox got updated today, which screwed my ability to use Tab Kit,
my favorite tab organizer, and now the damn browser shuts off by itself
approximately once every minute and a half.

I tried to roll back to the previous version with "Force Version" in
Synaptic, and all that does is remove the damn browser completely.

Could someone please tell me how to undo the crap that has been foisted
off on me today by this "upgrade"????

Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html

Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Luis Paulo

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> OK, Firefox got updated today, which screwed my ability to use Tab Kit,
> my favorite tab organizer, and now the damn browser shuts off by itself
> approximately once every minute and a half.
>
> I tried to roll back to the previous version with "Force Version" in
> Synaptic, and all that does is remove the damn browser completely.
>
> Could someone please tell me how to undo the crap that has been foisted
> off on me today by this "upgrade"????
>
> Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish
>
> --
> Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
> http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html
> Ray's Links, a variety of links to usefull things, and articles by Ray.
> http://www.rayslinks.com
> Writings of "The" Schizophrenic, what it's like to be a schizo, and other
> things, including my poetry.
> http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com

What ubuntu versions, what firefox version(s)...

If you loose firefox, what happens if you try to install it again? Can
you may purge it first?

If it works fine, add tab kit extension and see if it is compatible.

No?
Regards
Luis

btw, you may have better luck with linus than jesus

Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Could someone please tell me how to undo the crap that has been foisted
> off on me today by this "upgrade"????

Hi Ray,

The Ubuntu maintainers chose to push Firefox 3.6 to users because
security updates have been discontinued for Firefox 3.0, and the
expectation with Canonical supported apps is that they will receive
security updates.

If you really want to roll back to an old version of Firefox, the best
thing to do would be to install it manually. Instructions here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20a%20previous%20version%20of%20Firefox

As the page mentions, you'll be foregoing security updates, and it
would probably be a better idea to:
1) Install the Firefox version in the Ubuntu repository.
2) Clear the cache/history, or (worst comes to worst) create a new
profile. Instructions for that stuff at the above link, too.

If you're unhappy with the direction that the Mozilla foundation is
taking Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are both also available. I
still tend to use Firefox as my primary browser, but the Chrome
extension ecosystem is getting good enough that I'm a little tempted
to switch.

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde

Old 07-03-2010, 07:52 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Pete Vander Giessen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>> Could someone please tell me how to undo the crap that has been foisted
>> off on me today by this "upgrade"????
>
> Hi Ray,
>
> The Ubuntu maintainers chose to push Firefox 3.6 to users because
> security updates have been discontinued for Firefox 3.0, and the
> expectation with Canonical supported apps is that they will receive
> security updates.
>
> If you really want to roll back to an old version of Firefox, the best
> thing to do would be to install it manually. Instructions here:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20a%20previous%20version%20of%20Firefox
>
> As the page mentions, you'll be foregoing security updates, and it
> would probably be a better idea to:
> 1) Install the Firefox version in the Ubuntu repository.
> 2) Clear the cache/history, or (worst comes to worst) create a new
> profile. Instructions for that stuff at the above link, too.
>
> If you're unhappy with the direction that the Mozilla foundation is
> taking Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are both also available. I
> still tend to use Firefox as my primary browser, but the Chrome
> extension ecosystem is getting good enough that I'm a little tempted
> to switch.
>
> ~PeteVG
>
> " ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
> stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
> commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
> erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."
>
> ~ Lewis Hyde

I switched 3 days ago to chrome and, although it lacks somewhat the
smoothness of FF and the plugins (called extensions) are still not many,
it works without a problem using much less real estate.
Joep

Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Ray Parrish

Pete Vander Giessen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> Could someone please tell me how to undo the crap that has been foisted
>> off on me today by this "upgrade"????
>>

> Hi Ray,
>
> The Ubuntu maintainers chose to push Firefox 3.6 to users because
> security updates have been discontinued for Firefox 3.0, and the
> expectation with Canonical supported apps is that they will receive
> security updates.
>
> If you really want to roll back to an old version of Firefox, the best
> thing to do would be to install it manually. Instructions here:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20a%20previous%20version%20of%20Firefox
>
> As the page mentions, you'll be foregoing security updates, and it
> would probably be a better idea to:
> 1) Install the Firefox version in the Ubuntu repository.
> 2) Clear the cache/history, or (worst comes to worst) create a new
> profile. Instructions for that stuff at the above link, too.
>
> If you're unhappy with the direction that the Mozilla foundation is
> taking Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are both also available. I
> still tend to use Firefox as my primary browser, but the Chrome
> extension ecosystem is getting good enough that I'm a little tempted
> to switch.

OK, I've got the old version running now, but even 'though I have had it
install flash support twice, I still have no flash support. How do I
manage to correctly get flash working again????

Thank you, Ray Parrish

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> OK, I've got the old version running now, but even 'though I have had it
> install flash support twice, I still have no flash support. How do I
> manage to correctly get flash working again????

Hi Ray,

Ubuntu installs the flash plugin .so file to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. But you want it in the plugins directory
of your manual install of Firefox, wherever you put it.

If you installed firefox in /opt/firefox, you would enable flash by
typing this in a terminal:

sudo cp /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin*.so /opt/firefox/plugins

Then restart your browser, and it should work.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Ray Parrish

Pete Vander Giessen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, I've got the old version running now, but even 'though I have had it
>> install flash support twice, I still have no flash support. How do I
>> manage to correctly get flash working again????
>>

> Hi Ray,
>
> Ubuntu installs the flash plugin .so file to
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. But you want it in the plugins directory
> of your manual install of Firefox, wherever you put it.
>
> If you installed firefox in /opt/firefox, you would enable flash by
> typing this in a terminal:
>
> sudo cp /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin*.so /opt/firefox/plugins
>
> Then restart your browser, and it should work.

OK, I did that, now each flash item I try to start freezes my browser!!!
What now???

Thank you , Ray Parrish

Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Ray Parrish

Pete Vander Giessen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, I've got the old version running now, but even 'though I have had it
>> install flash support twice, I still have no flash support. How do I
>> manage to correctly get flash working again????
>>

> Hi Ray,
>
> Ubuntu installs the flash plugin .so file to
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. But you want it in the plugins directory
> of your manual install of Firefox, wherever you put it.
>
> If you installed firefox in /opt/firefox, you would enable flash by
> typing this in a terminal:
>
> sudo cp /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin*.so /opt/firefox/plugins
>
> Then restart your browser, and it should work.
>
> ~PeteVG
>
> " ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
> stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
> commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
> erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."
>
> ~ Lewis Hyde

Now you tube videos play, but without sound... Any Ideas???

Thanks, Ray Parrish

Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Basil Chupin

On 06/07/10 11:36, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Pete Vander Giessen wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ray Parrish<crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>>

>>> OK, I've got the old version running now, but even 'though I have had it
>>> install flash support twice, I still have no flash support. How do I
>>> manage to correctly get flash working again????
>>>

>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> Ubuntu installs the flash plugin .so file to
>> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. But you want it in the plugins directory
>> of your manual install of Firefox, wherever you put it.
>>
>> If you installed firefox in /opt/firefox, you would enable flash by
>> typing this in a terminal:
>>
>> sudo cp /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin*.so /opt/firefox/plugins
>>
>> Then restart your browser, and it should work.
>>
>> ~PeteVG
>>
>> " ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
>> stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
>> commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
>> erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."
>>
>> ~ Lewis Hyde
>>

> Now you tube videos play, but without sound... Any Ideas???
>
> Thanks, Ray Parrish

Check that your volume slider hasn't been reset to 0.

BC

Old 07-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Now you tube videos play, but without sound... Any Ideas???

Hi Ray,

You never mentioned which version of Ubuntu you were running. I'm
guessing that you're running something between 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and
9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). I remember having occasional issues with
flash grabbing the sound card and not letting go in those versions.

Closing out of Firefox and re-opening it usually fixes the sound
issue. (That particular problem has been completely resolved as of
Lucid Lynx).

If you continue to have other issues with Firefox, your profile may
have become corrupted. This is a problem that can happen in Windows,
Linux, or on Macs, when you upgrade Firefox. It's usually a good idea
to backup your profile before upgrading -- I'm usually too lazy to do
a full profile backup, but I do keep regular snapshots of my
bookmarks, which has saved my bacon a couple of times.

You can backup/export your bookmarks from the Bookmarks -> Organize
Bookmarks menu.

It might be worthwhile to try creating a new profile, to see if that
fixes your problem. To do so, close out of Firefox, then run it from
a terminal with the following command:

firefox --profilemanager

If you backed up your bookmarks, you can import them into your new
profile using the Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks menu.