Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/394306-ubuntu-10-04-usb-mouse-problems-reported-number-users.html)

Jay Ridgley 07-02-2010 09:32 PM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
Folks,

This is why I feel that it is indeed a USB Mouse problem:

1. google search for "usb mouse quits in ubuntu 10.04" without the quotes.

2. go to https://launchpad.net and enter "ubuntu 10.04 usb mouse"
without the quotes.


The system is totally locked up, nothing works, no keys are recognized.

I have not yet tried the suggestion of using Alt-sys-req keys, however, the next
time it locks up (and it will) I will try that.

There are entries in the Xorg.0.log for the mouse and a line that there is no
driver. I found a suggested work around for this but I could not get it to work.

I just found another suggestion that said to unplug and replug the USB devices,
I will try that also.


Cheers,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Jay Ridgley 07-02-2010 11:54 PM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
Folks,

Suggestion was to try ctrl-alt-sysreq - NOTHING happened. The keyboard is
totally locked up...

Unplugging the USB devices and replugging them did not work either.

I have been running on a wireless sub-net and can't reach or be reached from the
other systems in my network. I will try a hardwire connection early next week
and try to see if I can get any additional information that way.

Have a happy 4th of July!
Jay
--


Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 07-03-2010 02:36 AM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
On 07/02/2010 04:54 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Suggestion was to try ctrl-alt-sysreq - NOTHING happened. The keyboard is
> totally locked up...
>
> Unplugging the USB devices and replugging them did not work either.
>
> I have been running on a wireless sub-net and can't reach or be reached from the
> other systems in my network. I will try a hardwire connection early next week
> and try to see if I can get any additional information that way.
>
> Have a happy 4th of July!
> Jay

What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 07-03-2010 02:36 AM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
On 07/02/2010 02:32 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This is why I feel that it is indeed a USB Mouse problem:
>
> 1. google search for "usb mouse quits in ubuntu 10.04" without the quotes.
>
> 2. go to https://launchpad.net and enter "ubuntu 10.04 usb mouse"
> without the quotes.
>
>
> The system is totally locked up, nothing works, no keys are recognized.
>
> I have not yet tried the suggestion of using Alt-sys-req keys, however, the next
> time it locks up (and it will) I will try that.
>
> There are entries in the Xorg.0.log for the mouse and a line that there is no
> driver. I found a suggested work around for this but I could not get it to work.
>
> I just found another suggestion that said to unplug and replug the USB devices,
> I will try that also.

/var/logs/

and

~/.xsession-errors



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 07-03-2010 06:05 AM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
NoOp wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 04:54 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> > Suggestion was to try ctrl-alt-sysreq - NOTHING happened. The
> > keyboard is totally locked up...
> >
> > Unplugging the USB devices and replugging them did not work either.
> >
> > I have been running on a wireless sub-net and can't reach or be
> > reached from the other systems in my network. I will try a
> > hardwire connection early next week and try to see if I can get
> > any additional information that way.
>
> What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
> something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.

Well, if the system is frozen, there is no way to look at dmesg. And if
the system is completely locked, there is no way for it to write
anything to the system logs. To me it looks like it is completely locked
because it isn't reachable over the wireless network.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 07-03-2010 06:23 PM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
On 07/02/2010 11:05 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/02/2010 04:54 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> > Suggestion was to try ctrl-alt-sysreq - NOTHING happened. The
>> > keyboard is totally locked up...
>> >
>> > Unplugging the USB devices and replugging them did not work either.
>> >
>> > I have been running on a wireless sub-net and can't reach or be
>> > reached from the other systems in my network. I will try a
>> > hardwire connection early next week and try to see if I can get
>> > any additional information that way.
>>
>> What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
>> something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.
>
> Well, if the system is frozen, there is no way to look at dmesg. And if
> the system is completely locked, there is no way for it to write
> anything to the system logs. To me it looks like it is completely locked
> because it isn't reachable over the wireless network.
>
>
> Nils
>

But there may be something in the logs just prior to the freeze; I still
think it worth a look.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 07-03-2010 07:17 PM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
NoOp wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 11:05 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > NoOp wrote:
> >> What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
> >> something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.
> >
> > Well, if the system is frozen, there is no way to look at dmesg.
> > And if the system is completely locked, there is no way for it to
> > write anything to the system logs. To me it looks like it is
> > completely locked because it isn't reachable over the wireless
> > network.
>
> But there may be something in the logs just prior to the freeze; I
> still think it worth a look.

Agreed, it is sure worth to have a look. I'm just not so sure if there
really "_must_ be something in the /var/logs/ that is of use". You might
see something if it is e.g. a problem of a dying harddisk where read
failures and disk controller resets are logged. OTOH, if it is e.g. a
temperature problem which locks the CPU, it is unlikely to see something
in the logs.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 07-03-2010 11:56 PM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
On 07/03/2010 12:17 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/02/2010 11:05 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> > NoOp wrote:
>> >> What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
>> >> something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.
>> >
>> > Well, if the system is frozen, there is no way to look at dmesg.
>> > And if the system is completely locked, there is no way for it to
>> > write anything to the system logs. To me it looks like it is
>> > completely locked because it isn't reachable over the wireless
>> > network.
>>
>> But there may be something in the logs just prior to the freeze; I
>> still think it worth a look.
>
> Agreed, it is sure worth to have a look. I'm just not so sure if there
> really "_must_ be something in the /var/logs/ that is of use". You might
> see something if it is e.g. a problem of a dying harddisk where read
> failures and disk controller resets are logged. OTOH, if it is e.g. a
> temperature problem which locks the CPU, it is unlikely to see something
> in the logs.
>
>
> Nils
>

And that would be different (temp problem) than losing wireless; that
response still confuses me as I do not see how wireless would lock the
whole system.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 07-04-2010 05:53 AM

Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.
 
NoOp wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 12:17 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > NoOp wrote:
> >> On 07/02/2010 11:05 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> >> > NoOp wrote:
> >> >> What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
> >> >> something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.
> >> >
> >> > Well, if the system is frozen, there is no way to look at dmesg.
> >> > And if the system is completely locked, there is no way for it
> >> > to write anything to the system logs. To me it looks like it is
> >> > completely locked because it isn't reachable over the wireless
> >> > network.
> >>
> >> But there may be something in the logs just prior to the freeze; I
> >> still think it worth a look.
> >
> > Agreed, it is sure worth to have a look. I'm just not so sure if
> > there really "_must_ be something in the /var/logs/ that is of
> > use". You might see something if it is e.g. a problem of a dying
> > harddisk where read failures and disk controller resets are
> > logged. OTOH, if it is e.g. a temperature problem which locks the
> > CPU, it is unlikely to see something in the logs.
> >
> >
> > Nils
>
> And that would be different (temp problem) than losing wireless; that
> response still confuses me as I do not see how wireless would lock
> the whole system.

Hmm, maybe it wasn't written clearly enough. The wireless interface
doesn't lock the system. However if the system isn't locked, the
wireless schould still work and the machine should be reachable via the
wireless network. After rereading Jay's mail, I think I misunderstood
that part about the wireless. Originally I thought the machine wasn't
reachable after the machine was locked, but now I see that it even
wasn't reachable before the machine was locked. Sorry about the
confusion ...


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.