Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Jay Ridgley

Default Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of users.

Folks,

Yesterday I was able to upgrade from 08.04LTS to 10.04LTS successfully.

Since then I have been trying to get an interesting USB Mouse problem resolved.
However, after doing some research and poking around with Google it appears that
a number of users have reported the same or sim1lar problem and there are a
number of bug reports on Bugzilla. There are some fixes posted as well, however,
there are reports of them not fixing the problem, as well.

I have tried 2 different wireless mice and a wired USB mouse, while all worked
under 08.04 they now fail under 10.04. What is happening is the mouse stops
working and the display is completely locked up even a ctrl+alt+Fx key sequence
will not work; so I can't try restarting X from a console window. The only thing
I have found to work is to reboot the system with a HARD shutdown and POWER UP.

Has anyone found a working solution? I have tried a couple but they did not fix
the problem. The system is a Dell Latitude C610 Laptop, if that is any help.

I am going to try a PS2 mouse; if I can find one ...

Regards,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 07-02-2010, 01:41 PM

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 07:24, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Yesterday I was able to upgrade from 08.04LTS to 10.04LTS successfully.
>
> Since then I have been trying to get an interesting USB Mouse problem resolved.
> However, after doing some research and poking around with Google it appears that
> a number of users have reported the same or sim1lar problem and there are a
> number of bug reports on Bugzilla. There are some fixes posted as well, however,
> there are reports of them not fixing the problem, as well.

Not that I doubt you, but what makes you so sure it's a USB mouse problem?

I'm just curious... FWIW, I've used Ubuntu since 8.04 LTS regularly,
with a variety of mice: PS/2, wired and wireless USB, and bluetooth,
mice from IBM, Logitech, Apple, and even a couple generic ones, and
I've never encountered an issue where a mouse would cause a total hang
like this...

My question to you, since you mentioned that even trying to change to
a console fails, can you get ANYTHING from the keyboard at all? Are
keyboard interrupts even being registered? Next time this happens,
try hitting the capslock and numlock keys a few times. Do the lights
on the KBD turn on and off when you hit them? Do you get a beeping
sound instead? Do you get anything?

If you don't get any KBD interrupts at all, then your problem isn't
the display freezing, it's your entire system freezing, kernel and
all... you're hard locked...

Like I said, I've been using this for a while now, and been using
10.04LTS regularly since beta, and I've never had an issue with any of
my USB mice, so I am genuinely curious what specifically has convinced
you and others that the mouse (or more likely USB drivers) are to
blame.

Cheers,

Jeff

Old 07-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Jay,
On 2 July 2010 12:24, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Since then I have been trying to get an interesting USB Mouse problem resolved.
> However, after doing some research and poking around with Google it appears that
> a number of users have reported the same or sim1lar problem and there are a
> number of bug reports on Bugzilla. There are some fixes posted as well, however,
> there are reports of them not fixing the problem, as well.
>
> I have tried 2 different wireless mice and a wired USB mouse, while all worked
> under 08.04 they now fail under 10.04. What is happening is the mouse stops
> working and the display is completely locked up even a ctrl+alt+Fx key sequence
> will not work; so I can't try restarting X from a console window. The only thing
> I have found to work is to reboot the system with a HARD shutdown and POWER UP.

Probably not a "mouse" hangup but a proper crash. The fact that you
mention everything is frozen means this is not a mouse problem.

First of all, don't do a hard shutdown.
hit magic key (alt-SysRq) and enter REISUB to safely restart your PC.

http://fosswire.com/post/2007/09/fix-a-frozen-system-with-the-magic-sysrq-keys/
(and many more on Google for details).

Most likely even doing Alt-SysRq-R is enough to be able to do a
CTRL-ALT-F1, if X11 is the problem. If not at least you'll not be
trashing your file system eventually.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 06:24:53 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Yesterday I was able to upgrade from 08.04LTS to 10.04LTS successfully.
>
> Since then I have been trying to get an interesting USB Mouse problem
> resolved. However, after doing some research and poking around with
> Google it appears that a number of users have reported the same or
> sim1lar problem and there are a number of bug reports on Bugzilla. There
> are some fixes posted as well, however, there are reports of them not
> fixing the problem, as well.
>
> I have tried 2 different wireless mice and a wired USB mouse, while all
> worked under 08.04 they now fail under 10.04. What is happening is the
> mouse stops working and the display is completely locked up even a
> ctrl+alt+Fx key sequence will not work; so I can't try restarting X from
> a console window. The only thing I have found to work is to reboot the
> system with a HARD shutdown and POWER UP.
>
> Has anyone found a working solution? I have tried a couple but they did
> not fix the problem. The system is a Dell Latitude C610 Laptop, if that
> is any help.
>
> I am going to try a PS2 mouse; if I can find one ...
>
> Regards,
> Jay

If possible try to ssh into your computer. Should be possible if it is
only your mouse or keyboard that hangs. Then you can do some investigation
or at least do a proper shutdown.

Aart