Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Thufir

Default dist-upgrade

Pardon, I expect this is an RTFM question, but how do I upgrade from the
CLI? Perhaps I have a setting somewhere preventing the upgrade from
working (9.10 to 10.x)?

thufir@ARRAKIS:~$
thufir@ARRAKIS:~$ sudo aptitude -y safe-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

thufir@ARRAKIS:~$ sudo aptitude -y dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done

thufir@ARRAKIS:~$
thufir@ARRAKIS:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=karmic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.10"
thufir@ARRAKIS:~$

FWIW, I did actually read the man page and tried a few other options as
well, such as full-upgrade with similar results. Individual packages do
update, just not the "system" (?). The kernel updated just the other
day, for example.

thanks,

Thufir

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Gustavo Lacoste

you must modify the
software repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list by repositories of ubuntu 10.04, see -> http://www.lacosox.org/?q=autogenera_tu_lista_de_repositorios_bajo_Ubuntu _%20y_%20Debian_%20r%C3%A1pidamente

With Kind Regards,

* * Gustavo A. Lacoste Z.
* * Curacautín - Chile
* * Mobile Phone: +56 (0)9 90464874
* * Skype: knxroot * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * Msn & Gtalk: knx.root [at] gmail.com

* * Home page: http://www.lacosox.org

Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Markus Schönhaber

02.07.2010 13:42, Gustavo Lacoste:

> you must modify the software repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list by
> repositories of ubuntu 10.04, see ->

Bad idea.
Rather follow the officially supported procedure described here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades
Section 2.3. describes how to do that from the command line.

--
Regards
mks

Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Gustavo Lacoste

@Markus, you're probably right, but in debian
based systems I have obtained good results by changing the repositories
and then
run from a terminal "sudo aptitude -y dist-upgrade", why do you think is wrong?.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Markus Schönhaber

02.07.2010 14:20, Gustavo Lacoste:

> @Markus, you're probably right, but in debian based systems I have obtained
> good results by changing the repositories and then run from a terminal "sudo
> aptitude -y dist-upgrade", why do you think is wrong?.

First of all, because it's neither a recommended nor a supported way to
upgrade. And, even without further explanation, I consider it safe to
assume that the Ubuntu developers had good reasons why they did the
additional work to create update-manager and make that *the* way to upgrade.

Moreover, update-manager does more than simply replacing the repository
names and doing something like calling apt-get dist-upgrade. AFAICT it
also removes obsolete and install additional packages, and probably
other things.

Doing an upgrade the old Debian way does not necessarily mean that
you'll end up with a system that isn't working as expected in one way or
the other or that might even be totally hosed - but you shouldn't be too
surprised if you do.
Therefore it's not a good idea to recommend this procedure, which
contradicts the official recommendation, to others.

--
Regards
mks

Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Thufir

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:53:11 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Rather follow the officially supported procedure described here
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades Section 2.3. describes
> how to do that from the command line.

Thanks to all who replied

upgrade seems to have gone smoothly.