Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
stan

Default ODBC conection

I have a peice of dedicated hardwarethatis suposed to provide remote ODBC
connectivity. It uses Postgres for it's database.

I have never done ODBC before. How do I go about setting up access to this
device? Do I need to use something like Open Office? It appears that both
base, and calc support ODBC conectivity, but it looks like this is one of
those "standards that are not a standard".

It appears that I need to define an ODBC instnace at teh OS level, before
OO can use it. is this correct? If so, how do I go about doing that?

On Thursday 01 July 2010 13:33:22 stan wrote:
> I have a peice of dedicated hardwarethatis suposed to provide remote ODBC
> connectivity. It uses Postgres for it's database.
>
> I have never done ODBC before. How do I go about setting up access to this
> device? Do I need to use something like Open Office? It appears that both
> base, and calc support ODBC conectivity, but it looks like this is one of
> those "standards that are not a standard".
>
> It appears that I need to define an ODBC instnace at teh OS level, before
> OO can use it. is this correct? If so, how do I go about doing that?

You have to install the postgres odbl lib (odbc-postgresql) and you have to
configure /etc/odbc.ini. I have not done it in ages but the man pages should
help.

--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
stan

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 01:47:12PM -0400, Mike McGinn wrote:

> On Thursday 01 July 2010 13:33:22 stan wrote:
> > I have a peice of dedicated hardwarethatis suposed to provide remote ODBC
> > connectivity. It uses Postgres for it's database.
> >
> > I have never done ODBC before. How do I go about setting up access to this
> > device? Do I need to use something like Open Office? It appears that both
> > base, and calc support ODBC conectivity, but it looks like this is one of
> > those "standards that are not a standard".
> >
> > It appears that I need to define an ODBC instnace at teh OS level, before
> > OO can use it. is this correct? If so, how do I go about doing that?
> >
> You have to install the postgres odbl lib (odbc-postgresql) and you have to
> configure /etc/odbc.ini. I have not done it in ages but the man pages should
> help.

Thanks for the help. I have installed odbc-postgresql, but unfortunately
that does not seem to have put the correct enires in /etc/odbcinst.ini.
Here is what it looks like:

stan@plabws1:~$ cat /etc/odbcinst.ini
[SQLite]
Description = SQLite ODBC Driver
Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqliteodbc.so
Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqliteodbc.so
UsageCount = 1

[SQLite3]
Description = SQLite3 ODBC Driver
Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqlite3odbc.so
Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqlite3odbc.so
UsageCount = 2

I added the following by hand:

[postgress]
Description = postgress ODBC Driver
Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbca.so
Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbca.so
UsageCount = 3

[postgress2]
Description = postgress ODBC Driver
Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
UsageCount = 3

But when I start ODBCConfig, and try to add a user DSN using these, I get
an error message about not being able to get the properties for thes.

There does not seem to be a man page for odbcinst.ini.
/etc/odbc.ini is empty, and I don't seem to have a man page for it either.

Any pointers to HOWTO's for this?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Mike McGinn

On Thursday 01 July 2010 14:53:09 stan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 01:47:12PM -0400, Mike McGinn wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 July 2010 13:33:22 stan wrote:
> > > I have a peice of dedicated hardwarethatis suposed to provide remote
> > > ODBC connectivity. It uses Postgres for it's database.
> > >
> > > I have never done ODBC before. How do I go about setting up access to
> > > this device? Do I need to use something like Open Office? It appears
> > > that both base, and calc support ODBC conectivity, but it looks like
> > > this is one of those "standards that are not a standard".
> > >
> > > It appears that I need to define an ODBC instnace at teh OS level,
> > > before OO can use it. is this correct? If so, how do I go about doing
> > > that?
> >
> > You have to install the postgres odbl lib (odbc-postgresql) and you have
> > to configure /etc/odbc.ini. I have not done it in ages but the man pages
> > should help.
>
> Thanks for the help. I have installed odbc-postgresql, but unfortunately
> that does not seem to have put the correct enires in /etc/odbcinst.ini.
> Here is what it looks like:
>
> stan@plabws1:~$ cat /etc/odbcinst.ini
> [SQLite]
> Description = SQLite ODBC Driver
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqliteodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqliteodbc.so
> UsageCount = 1
>
> [SQLite3]
> Description = SQLite3 ODBC Driver
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqlite3odbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqlite3odbc.so
> UsageCount = 2
>

> I added the following by hand:
>
> [postgress]
> Description = postgress ODBC Driver
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbca.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbca.so
> UsageCount = 3
>
> [postgress2]
> Description = postgress ODBC Driver
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
> UsageCount = 3
>
> But when I start ODBCConfig, and try to add a user DSN using these, I get
> an error message about not being able to get the properties for thes.
>
> There does not seem to be a man page for odbcinst.ini.
> /etc/odbc.ini is empty, and I don't seem to have a man page for it either.
>
> Any pointers to HOWTO's for this?

Hi Stan,
Just a thought. I never use odbc because I have never needed it on a linux
system. odbc is just another way to connect to a server. There has to be
something listening on the postgresql port (5432) on that device. odbc is for
windows, you can probably connect with a posgres command line client, a perl
script ... what ever. Bag the odbc.

Mike