Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 PM
"Charlie Markwick"

Default Terminal Server Client

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I'm running the TSC and connecting to a
Windows XP Pro workstation (see the config file below). When I try and
drag items on the windows desktop nothing happens, this is also true for
interfaces such as outlook. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve
this.

alternate full switch:i:0
alternate shell:s:
attach to console:i:1
audiomode:i:2
auto connect:i:0
diskmapping:i:1
bitmapcachepersistenable:i:0
client hostname:s:
compression:i:0
desktop size id:i:1
desktopheight:i:768
desktopwidth:i:1024
disable full window drag:i:0
disable menu anims:i:0
disable themes:i:0
disable wallpaper:i:0
displayconnectionbar:i:0
domain:s:xxxxxxxx
enable alternate shell:i:0
enable wm keys:i:1
full address:s:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3391
hide wm decorations:i:0
keyboard language:s:en-gb
keyboardhook:i:0
no motion events:i:1
password:b:
password 51:brogman group:s:
progman group:s:
protocol:i:0
protocol file:s:
redirectcomports:i:0
redirectdrives:i:0
redirectprinters:i:0
redirectsmartcards:i:0
screen mode id:i:1
session bpp:i:0
shell working directory:s:
username:s:xxxxxxxx
winposstr:s:
clipboard:CLIPBOARD

Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
firstname lastname

Hi,

During the trial of connecting to the remote (Windows) desktop.

I used the terminal server client,

Please note: I have succeed in connecting many times before (no need question about the setting and the Windows other side work functionally).

Just sometimes it failed to connect and showed me:*

ERROR: Channel_register
ERROR: getaddrinfo name or service not known

I googled, seems something concerns the avahi,
it suggested to try:

$ service avahi-daemon stop
bash: service: command not found

I don't know how to proceed further,

Thanks,

Z.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
firstname lastname

$ ps ax | grep avahi
*1421 ?******* S***** 0:06 avahi-daemon: running [dove.local]
*1422 ?******* S***** 0:00 avahi-daemon: chroot helper

the avahi-daemon is running.
By the way, what does the avahi-daemon work for?

Thanks,

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Scott Ferguson

During the trial of connecting to the remote (Windows) desktop.

I used the terminal server client,

Please note: I have succeed in connecting many times before (no need
question about the setting and the Windows other side work functionally).

Just sometimes it failed to connect and showed me:�

ERROR: Channel_register
ERROR: getaddrinfo name or service not known

I googled, seems something concerns the avahi,
it suggested to try:

$ service avahi-daemon stop
bash: service: command not found

I don't know how to proceed further,

Thanks,

Z.

Depending on the choices you made during install become root (su or
sudo) service won't run as a general user - it's just a short way of
accessing /etc/init.d/whatever action

# service avahi-daemon stop

Are you in fact running Debian? (you quote Ubuntu in one of the other
posts you made on this problem)

Additionally I'd suggest you refer to posts more recent than 2005 when
trying to solve problems ;-p

Please provide more information - which Debian are you running, what
tool are you using for an RDP connection.

Cheers

--
"I'm just so sick of airports, sitting on planes on runways and the
planes won't take off.

"this is a hijacking"
"where do you want to go - Cuba?"
"No, I want to go where this plane was supposed to be five hours ago"
That's right, I'm hijacking this plane to it's scheduled destination."
— Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E60CC73.8060409@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E60CC73.8060409@gmail.com

Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
"F. L."

[...]

I am running debian wheezy. ( Sorry, I mis-thought the Ubuntu was derived from debian.)

Additionally I'd suggest you refer to posts more recent than 2005 when trying to solve problems ;-p
*

Please provide more information - which Debian are you running, what tool are you using for an RDP connection.

I accessed the RDP from Applications -> Internet -> Terminal server client,

I can't remember from which package I installed. I don't know how to access from terminal ( thanks for any hint).

Z.
*

Cheers

--

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4E60CC73.8060409@gmail.com

Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Scott Ferguson

<mailtorettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:

During the trial of connecting to the remote (Windows) desktop.

I used the terminal server client,

Please note: I have succeed in connecting many times before (no need
question about the setting and the Windows other side work
functionally).

Weeell, I like to rule things out, 1x1 (just like isolation testing) ;-p

Just sometimes it failed to connect and showed me:�

ERROR: Channel_register ERROR: getaddrinfo name or service not known

I googled, seems something concerns the avahi, it suggested to try:

$ service avahi-daemon stop bash: service: command not found

I don't know how to proceed further,

Thanks,

Z.

Depending on the choices you made during install become root (su or
sudo) service won't run as a general user - it's just a short way of
accessing /etc/init.d/whatever action

# service avahi-daemon stop

In one of your other posts you asked what avahi is - it does zeroconf
and is made from wooly lemurs:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_%28software%29

If you are using hostname to RDP it may be an issue that has symptoms
like you describe - in which case using the IP address (or adding the
hostname and IP address to /etc/hosts) should remove the problem

Are you in fact running Debian? (you quote Ubuntu in one of the other
posts you made on this problem)

I am running debian wheezy.

Thanks - I'm assuming that's grdesktop (a Gnome RDP gui), which uses
rdesktop (the CLI rdp client). I don't have any experience with
grdesktop so bear with me.

( Sorry, I mis-thought the Ubuntu was derived from debian.)

It is. Derived being the keyword. People here will help with Ubuntu
problems - but the problems may not be in Debian. No matter in this case.

<snipped>

There's no reported bugs of that nature for grdesktop.

Possible causes:-
;Problem with the Windoof machine (firewall settings, permissions, rdp
session invite expired, ip address)

;Problem with resolving the Windoof hostname to an IP address
;Problem with the rdesktop or grdesktop packages

Check the Windoof machine if you can - if access was via an "invite",
generate a fresh invite, if possible reboot Windoof.

If you don't know the Windoof machine IP address try using ping (as root
in a terminal window) to convert the Windoof hostname into a ip address)

Try connecting with grdesktop using the ip address instead of the
hostname. If the Windoof machine is not on the same sub-net this won't
necessarily work.

Post your results - if you are still having problems we can use rdesktop
to pinpoint the problem.
Also (I should have asked earlier) is the Windoof machine on the same
sub-net?

If it's not - is it behind a stand-alone firewall/router?
Are you enabling encryption?

Hope you're not in a hurry (other's can assist) - I'll be back in the
morning.

Cheers

--

Archive: 4E60DAC8.9060102@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E60DAC8.9060102@gmail.com

Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
"F. L."

What is the Windoof? (==Windows?)

I can't touch the remote windows server,
I even don't know which room it stays.
only provided by the right to access and the hostname.
I contacted the administrator today and being informed the following information:

"There is nothing wrong with Server. I’ve just checked. I presume you are
using the rdesktop?
The
rDesktop application* you are using is somehow unable to use the latest
RDP protocol 6 and is recommended for best experience and hence it
failed. MS has done quite a bit of changes to the protocol and the
client application has not caught up for linux.

"

Actually it worked on and off, so I don't think it's the protocol issue.
Sometimes if I was lucky I could connect, sometimes not.

There's no reported bugs of that nature for grdesktop.

Possible causes:-

;Problem with the Windoof machine (firewall settings, permissions, rdp session invite expired, ip address)

;Problem with resolving the Windoof hostname to an IP address

;Problem with the rdesktop or grdesktop packages

Check the Windoof machine if you can - if access was via an "invite", generate a fresh invite, if possible reboot Windoof.

If you don't know the Windoof machine IP address try using ping (as root in a terminal window) to convert the Windoof hostname into a ip address)

I got the same IP address not matter as root or user during ping hostname.

Try connecting with grdesktop using the ip address instead of the hostname. If the Windoof machine is not on the same sub-net this won't necessarily work.

It has the same problem when used the IP address.*

There is also some other distracting warnings here I did not post before,
such as:
WARNING: initializing sound-support failed!
WARNING: Remote desktop does not support colour depth 24; falling back to 16
NOT IMPLEMENTED: system pointer message0x7f00

WARNING: server sent an unexpectedly long string, truncating
WARNING: rdp_in_unistr: iconv fail, errno 84

Please ignore those warnings, cause I donot need sound and colour depth and else.

Post your results - if you are still having problems we can use rdesktop to pinpoint the problem.

Also (I should have asked earlier) is the Windoof machine on the same sub-net?
I guess so, probably on the same sub-net. but I don't know how to check.

If it's not - is it behind a stand-alone firewall/router?
I am not so sure.

Are you enabling encryption?

*
Hope you're not in a hurry (other's can assist) - I'll be back in the morning.Thanks,

Cheers

--

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4E60DAC8.9060102@gmail.com

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

Sorry I'm just jumping into the middle without having read much of the
thread. The rdesktop package stopped working for me a long time ago.
I've been using remmina ever since. Is that available to you? I manage a
moderate number of WS2003 and WS2008 systems from Debian testing using
remmina.

Forgive me for the interjection if it's inappropriate or ill-timed.

Archive: 4E61281F.4030503@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E61281F.4030503@comcast.net

Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 AM
"F. L."