Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Did I or did I not upgrade 9.10 -> 10.4

I have a laptop that was running 9.10 just fine.* I put off the upgrade until Summer, when it can fritz out on me without too much anguish.

So Summer is here, and it was upgrading itself all of yesterday.* It said it loaded and installed and reconfigured gobs of stuff.

So how come Update Manager is still offering the upgrade, and I have other hints that parts of the system still think they are 9.10, like System -> About Ubuntu.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 PM
NoOp

On 06/30/2010 01:08 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have a laptop that was running 9.10 just fine. I put off the upgrade
> until Summer, when it can fritz out on me without too much anguish.
>
> So Summer is here, and it was upgrading itself all of yesterday. It said it
> loaded and installed and reconfigured gobs of stuff.
>
> So how come Update Manager is still offering the upgrade, and I have other
> hints that parts of the system still think they are 9.10, like System ->
> About Ubuntu.

Sounds like the upgrade didn't complete. What do you show for:

$ uname -a
$ cat /etc/lsb-release

If fully updated the last should show:
$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04 LTS"

If it doesn't then:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

Old 07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 06/30/2010 01:08 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I have a laptop that was running 9.10 just fine. *I put off the upgrade

> until Summer, when it can fritz out on me without too much anguish.

> So Summer is here, and it was upgrading itself all of yesterday. *It said it

> loaded and installed and reconfigured gobs of stuff.

> So how come Update Manager is still offering the upgrade, and I have other

> hints that parts of the system still think they are 9.10, like System ->

> About Ubuntu.

Sounds like the upgrade didn't complete. What do you show for:

$ uname -a

$ cat /etc/lsb-release

If fully updated the last should show:

$ cat /etc/lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04

DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04 LTS"

If it doesn't then:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

$ sudo apt-get install -f

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

Well, I got impatient yesterday, and just did package manager again.* This time it pretty obviously *did* work.* I get the same stuff you did above.* I'm grumbling about where my window controls are, and all the rest of what's been happening to everyone else that succeeded.

Thanks for the help.l

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD