Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default what package contains the raw vmlinux image?

i've been poking around, trying to find the package that will
install the raw, vmlinux kernel image that corresponds to the running
kernel and i'm having no luck. i've tried several variations on the
linux-image-* packages but maybe i've just missed it.

i need the vmlinux file in order to debug the running kernel using
gdb.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> i've been poking around, trying to find the package that will
> install the raw, vmlinux kernel image that corresponds to the running
> kernel and i'm having no luck.*i've tried several variations on the
> linux-image-* packages but maybe i've just missed it.

Do you mean
aptitude search linux-image-2.6.3

Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Tom H wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > i've been poking around, trying to find the package that will
> > install the raw, vmlinux kernel image that corresponds to the running
> > kernel and i'm having no luck.*i've tried several variations on the
> > linux-image-* packages but maybe i've just missed it.
>
> Do you mean
> aptitude search linux-image-2.6.3

that's what i mean but i have in fact installed the
linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic package and it doesn't contain the
vmlinux file.

someone else pointed me at the page
http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/ where i can see
linux-image-debug packages but that page looks annoyingly unmaintained
as there is no package corresponding to the current kernel of
2.6.32-22.

at this point, i am assuming that there is no official package that
will give me a vmlinux file corresponding to the running kernel.
frankly, that sucks.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Tom H wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Robert P. J. Day
>> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>> >
>> > i've been poking around, trying to find the package that will
>> > install the raw, vmlinux kernel image that corresponds to the running
>> > kernel and i'm having no luck.*i've tried several variations on the
>> > linux-image-* packages but maybe i've just missed it.
>>
>> Do you mean
>> aptitude search linux-image-2.6.3
>
> *that's what i mean but i have in fact installed the
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic package and it doesn't contain the
> vmlinux file.
>
> *someone else pointed me at the page
> http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/ where i can see
> linux-image-debug packages but that page looks annoyingly unmaintained
> as there is no package corresponding to the current kernel of
> 2.6.32-22.
>
> *at this point, i am assuming that there is no official package that
> will give me a vmlinux file corresponding to the running kernel.
> frankly, that sucks.

How would it be installed if it were not included?!

Check
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/
or
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/
and download
linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb
or
linux-image-2.6.32-22-386_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb

Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Tom H wrote:

... snip ...

> How would it be installed if it were not included?!

i have no idea what that question even means.

> Check
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/
> or
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/
> and download
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb
> or
> linux-image-2.6.32-22-386_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb

and did you actually check that either of those files contains an
actual, raw "vmlinux" kernel image file before giving me that
advice?

i hate to sound snippy and abrupt but, at this point, i'm not really
interested in reading replies that don't answer the simple question i
asked, which was -- is there, or is there not, an official ubuntu
package that i could just "apt-get install" that will supply (for
debugging purposes or any other purpose) the raw, uncompressed vmlinux
kernel image file that corresponds to the currently running kernel on
my system?

as far as i can tell, the answer appears to be no, but i'm willing
to be corrected.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

as a short followup, there's this:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/oprofile/+question/113330

which strongly suggests that i am wasting my time looking for that
vmlinux file. i think i'll ask about this on the ubuntu kernel
mailing list, and annoy them for a while.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Markus Schönhaber

30.06.2010 18:33, Robert P. J. Day:

> i've been poking around, trying to find the package that will
> install the raw, vmlinux kernel image that corresponds to the running
> kernel and i'm having no luck. i've tried several variations on the
> linux-image-* packages but maybe i've just missed it.

If you want to find out which package (if any) provides a file with a
given name, you can, for example, install apt-file or search package
contents on
http://packages.ubuntu.com/

It seems, there is no package that provides an uncompressed kernel image.

--
Regards
mks

Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 30.06.2010 18:33, Robert P. J. Day:
>
> > i've been poking around, trying to find the package that will
> > install the raw, vmlinux kernel image that corresponds to the running
> > kernel and i'm having no luck. i've tried several variations on the
> > linux-image-* packages but maybe i've just missed it.
>
> If you want to find out which package (if any) provides a file with a
> given name, you can, for example, install apt-file or search package
> contents on
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/
>
> It seems, there is no package that provides an uncompressed kernel image.

i'm sorry, i didn't mean to drag this out ... i did, in fact, try
exactly that and concluded that there was no such package, until i
googled and found others claiming that there *was* such a package, so
i ran off trying to verify that, etc, etc.

never mind ... the consensus is that no such package exists.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Tom H wrote:
>
> ... snip ...
>
>> How would it be installed if it were not included?!
>
> *i have no idea what that question even means.

Itz means that you have been using Linux for long enough to know that
vmlinuz doesn't appear out of nowhere.

>> Check
>> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/
>> or
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/
>> and download
>> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb
>> or
>> linux-image-2.6.32-22-386_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb
>
> *and did you actually check that either of those files contains an
> actual, raw "vmlinux" kernel image file before giving me that
> advice?

Yes.

On Linux and Windows.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Markus Schönhaber

01.07.2010 11:41, Tom H:

> Itz means that you have been using Linux for long enough to know that
> vmlinuz doesn't appear out of nowhere.

Correct.
But the OP isn't looking for vmlinuz (the compressed kernel image) but
vmlinux (the uncompressed one).

--
Regards
mks