-   -   Firefox 3.7 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/393047-firefox-3-7-a.html)

Bill Liao 06-30-2010 01:14 PM

Firefox 3.7

How to put firefox 3.7 into use?I downloaded it from mozilla. After decompression, what to do?

--
If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Martin Webster 06-30-2010 08:31 PM

Firefox 3.7

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 21:14 +0800, Bill Liao wrote:

> How to put firefox 3.7 into use? I downloaded it from mozilla. After
> decompression, what to do?

The latest stable version of Firefox is 3.6.6. Indeed Firefox 3.7 has
been dropped and the next scheduled release after 3.6.7 is Firefox 4.

If you want to run the nightly build (that you've already extracted)
simply open a terminal and type the following:

sudo mv firefox /usr/local/
cd /usr/local/bin
sudo ln -s ../firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/
firefox

--
As ever,
.artin

Martin Webster • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/martinwebster
AOL: martinjwebster • Wordpress: http://martinwebster.info/
Jabber: martinwebster@xmpp.org.uk • ICQ: 15893823

NoOp 06-30-2010 09:21 PM

Firefox 3.7

On 06/30/2010 01:31 PM, Martin Webster wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 21:14 +0800, Bill Liao wrote:
>
>> How to put firefox 3.7 into use? I downloaded it from mozilla. After
>> decompression, what to do?
>
> The latest stable version of Firefox is 3.6.6. Indeed Firefox 3.7 has
> been dropped and the next scheduled release after 3.6.7 is Firefox 4.
>
> If you want to run the nightly build (that you've already extracted)
> simply open a terminal and type the following:
>
> sudo mv firefox /usr/local/
> cd /usr/local/bin
> sudo ln -s ../firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/
> firefox

Safer if you just run it in a home folder. That way you won't run into
issues later on with the Ubuntu version.

@Bill:

Extract to a home folder and simply run it from there;

$ /home/<username>/firefox/firefox

Bill Liao 07-01-2010 02:24 AM

Firefox 3.7

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Martin Webster <lists@martinwebster.eu> wrote:

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 21:14 +0800, Bill Liao wrote:

> How to put firefox 3.7 into use? I downloaded it from mozilla. After

> decompression, what to do?

The latest stable version of Firefox is 3.6.6. Indeed Firefox 3.7 has

been dropped and the next scheduled release after 3.6.7 is Firefox 4.

If you want to run the nightly build (that you've already extracted)

simply open a terminal and type the following:

sudo mv firefox /usr/local/

cd /usr/local/bin

sudo ln -s ../firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/

firefox

--

As ever,

.artin

Martin Webster • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/martinwebster

AOL: martinjwebster • Wordpress: http://martinwebster.info/

Jabber: martinwebster@xmpp.org.uk • ICQ: 15893823

My problem is that after done all these you have told me, I still launched the old version which is 3.6.6....
--
If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Martin Webster 07-01-2010 07:45 AM

Firefox 3.7

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 10:24 +0800, Bill Liao wrote:

> My problem is that after done all these you have told me, I still
> launched the old version which is 3.6.6....

Use the full path, e.g. /usr/local/bin/firefox/firefox or
home/<username>/firefox/firefox (if you followed NoOp's advice.)

Basil Chupin 07-01-2010 07:50 AM

Firefox 3.7

On 01/07/10 12:24, Bill Liao wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Martin Webster <lists@martinwebster.eu
> <mailto:lists@martinwebster.eu>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 21:14 +0800, Bill Liao wrote:
>
> > How to put firefox 3.7 into use? I downloaded it from mozilla. After
> > decompression, what to do?
>
> The latest stable version of Firefox is 3.6.6. Indeed Firefox 3.7 has
> been dropped and the next scheduled release after 3.6.7 is Firefox 4.
>
> If you want to run the nightly build (that you've already extracted)
> simply open a terminal and type the following:
>
> sudo mv firefox /usr/local/
> cd /usr/local/bin
> sudo ln -s ../firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/
> firefox
>

> --
> As ever,
> .artin
>
> Martin Webster • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/martinwebster
> AOL: martinjwebster • Wordpress: http://martinwebster.info/
> Jabber: martinwebster@xmpp.org.uk
> <mailto:martinwebster@xmpp.org.uk> • ICQ: 15893823

> My problem is that after done all these you have told me, I still
> launched the old version which is 3.6.6....

Have a look at the Preferences for FF (Right-click on the FF icon) and
see if the path to FF is correctly set. (The default path for FF is
/usr/bin/firefox which is a symlink to where FF actually resides; if
necessary alter this symlink to point to the new location of firefox.sh.)

BC

Bill Liao 07-01-2010 10:49 AM

Firefox 3.7

> * * On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 21:14 +0800, Bill Liao wrote:

> * * > How to put firefox 3.7 into use? I downloaded it from mozilla. After

> * * > decompression, what to do?

> * * The latest stable version of Firefox is 3.6.6. Indeed Firefox 3.7 has

> * * been dropped and the next scheduled release after 3.6.7 is Firefox 4.

> * * If you want to run the nightly build (that you've already extracted)

> * * simply open a terminal and type the following:

> * * sudo mv firefox /usr/local/

> * * cd /usr/local/bin

> * * sudo ln -s ../firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/

> * * firefox

> * * --

> * * As ever,

> * * .artin

> * * Martin Webster • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/martinwebster

> * * AOL: martinjwebster • Wordpress: http://martinwebster.info/

> * * Jabber: martinwebster@xmpp.org.uk

> * * <mailto:martinwebster@xmpp.org.uk> • ICQ: 15893823

> * * --

> * * ubuntu-users mailing list

> * * ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> * * Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

> My problem is that after done all these you have told me, I still

> launched the old version which is 3.6.6....

Have a look at the Preferences for FF (Right-click on the FF icon) and

see if the path to FF is correctly set. (The default path for FF is

/usr/bin/firefox which is a symlink to where FF actually resides; if

necessary alter this symlink to point to the new location of firefox.sh.)

BC

I have done all the things you told me...cp the firefox files to /usr/lib/firefox-3.7in the directory /usr/bin ,symbolic link to /usr/lib/firefox-3.7/firefox*

however, i still open up the 3.6.6 version after typing firefox in the terminal...
The same problem with 3.4....
--
If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Dotan Cohen 07-01-2010 12:01 PM

Firefox 3.7

On 1 July 2010 00:21, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Safer if you just run it in a home folder. That way you won't run into
> issues later on with the Ubuntu version.
>
> @Bill:
>
> Extract to a home folder and simply run it from there;
>
> $ /home/<username>/firefox/firefox

Safer yet if you run it on a new profile, as it _may_ destroy your
profile such that the stable Firefox will no longer work with it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Bill Liao 07-01-2010 12:12 PM

Firefox 3.7

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

On 1 July 2010 00:21, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Safer if you just run it in a home folder. That way you won't run into

> issues later on with the Ubuntu version.

> @Bill:

> Extract to a home folder and simply run it from there;

> $ /home/<username>/firefox/firefox

Safer yet if you run it on a new profile, as it _may_ destroy your

profile such that the stable Firefox will no longer work with it.

--

Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il

http://what-is-what.com

Could you tell me how can I run it on a new profile?
--
If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Dotan Cohen 07-01-2010 12:25 PM

Firefox 3.7

On 1 July 2010 15:12, Bill Liao <lwlw1988@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you tell me how can I run it on a new profile?

Sure, start it with the Profile Manager option, and create a new
profile in the Profile Manager.

$ ./firefox -ProfileManager

I backup my Mozilla directories just in case when testing new
versions, this is _very_ important in the 3.x branch as Mozilla apps
now use SQLite databases instead of text files and they are poorly
managed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il