Old 07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Bill Liao

Default Firefox 3.7

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

On 1 July 2010 15:12, Bill Liao <lwlw1988@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you tell me how can I run it on a new profile?

Sure, start it with the Profile Manager option, and create a new

profile in the Profile Manager.

$ ./firefox -ProfileManager

I backup my Mozilla directories just in case when testing new

versions, this is _very_ important in the 3.x branch as Mozilla apps

now use SQLite databases instead of text files and they are poorly

managed.

--

Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il

http://what-is-what.com

Thank you very much..
I learned a lot..
--
If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
NoOp

On 07/01/2010 05:01 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 1 July 2010 00:21, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Safer if you just run it in a home folder. That way you won't run into
>> issues later on with the Ubuntu version.
>>
>> @Bill:
>>
>> Extract to a home folder and simply run it from there;
>>
>> $ /home/<username>/firefox/firefox
>>

> Safer yet if you run it on a new profile, as it _may_ destroy your
> profile such that the stable Firefox will no longer work with it.

Good catch & good point - thanks.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
NoOp

On 07/01/2010 12:50 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 01/07/10 12:24, Bill Liao wrote:
>> My problem is that after done all these you have told me, I still
>> launched the old version which is 3.6.6....
>
> Have a look at the Preferences for FF (Right-click on the FF icon) and
> see if the path to FF is correctly set. (The default path for FF is
> /usr/bin/firefox which is a symlink to where FF actually resides; if
> necessary alter this symlink to point to the new location of firefox.sh.)

Careful... once you start messing with those symlinks you may end up here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/512937