Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Latest Firefox 3.6.6 - I don't like it...

I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
:-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.

FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
config file for TB hasn't been altered....

Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?

BC

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Karl Larsen

On 06/30/2010 12:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
>
> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
>
> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?
>
> BC

Have you reboot since you loaded 3.6.6 ? There are other ways
to fix your problem but reboot is simple.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Basil Chupin

On 30/06/10 22:14, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 12:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
>> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
>> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
>> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
>>
>> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
>> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
>> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
>>
>> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?
>>
>> BC
>>

> Have you reboot since you loaded 3.6.6 ? There are other ways
> to fix your problem but reboot is simple.

One of the very first things I do is to reboot after upgrades - learnt
from past years of experience.

But thanks for the thought.

BC

Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Tony Pursell

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 06:14 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 12:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
> > clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
> > Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
> > :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
> >
> > FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
> > preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
> > config file for TB hasn't been altered....
> >
> > Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?http://www.ubuntu.org
> >
> > BC
> >

> Have you reboot since you loaded 3.6.6 ? There are other ways
> to fix your problem but reboot is simple.
>
> 73 Karl

I restarted Firefox after update then no problem opening links in
Evolution.

Is it just a Thunderbird problem? For instance, open a terminal and
type in http://www.ubuntulinux.org then right click it and select Open
Link. What do you get? If you get an error, check what you have in
System > Preferences > Preferred Applications.

Tony

Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Karl Larsen

On 06/30/2010 07:36 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 30/06/10 22:14, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2010 12:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

>>> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
>>> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
>>> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
>>> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
>>>
>>> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
>>> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
>>> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
>>>
>>> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> Have you reboot since you loaded 3.6.6 ? There are other ways
>> to fix your problem but reboot is simple.
>>

> One of the very first things I do is to reboot after upgrades - learnt
> from past years of experience.
>
> But thanks for the thought.
>
> BC

Right now I am getting Firefox 3.6.6 as a update. Sounds like
it may be a Downdate :-)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Basil Chupin

On 30/06/10 23:45, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 06:14 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2010 12:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
>>> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
>>> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
>>> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
>>>
>>> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
>>> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
>>> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
>>>
>>> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?http://www.ubuntu.org
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> Have you reboot since you loaded 3.6.6 ? There are other ways
>> to fix your problem but reboot is simple.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> I restarted Firefox after update then no problem opening links in
> Evolution.

Ummmm, what does Thunderbird have to do with Evolution?

Evolution is Evolution; Thunderbird is Thunderbird.

Unless I have been totally missing something for years of course.

> I s it just a Thunderbird problem? For instance, open a terminal and
> type in http://www.ubuntulinux.org then right click it and select Open
> Link. What do you get? If you get an error, check what you have in
> System> Preferences> Preferred Applications.
>
> Tony

Thanks, Tony, but as I stated, the path to FF is correct. And when I do
what you just suggested (although I think what you suggested is not
quite right) I get an error, "No such file or directory" even though I
can start FF from ALT-F2 using the correct path (/usr/bin/firefox -
where FF is a symlink to where it actually resides).

This whole question about TB not being able to auto bring up links in FF
has been around for quite some time. Suggestions about not having the
correct activation statement in Preferences for FF is one such
suggestion for failure of TB to call FF; another one is not having
either or both as the default internet applications, another one is not
having the correct parameter written in the TB's user.js or in FF's
about:config settings.... In earlier years there was this thing called
launchy.xml in FF - but I deleted it some years ago and TB still linked
with FF.

That is until today... :-( . Not nice, not nice at all.

BC

Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Karl Larsen

On 06/30/2010 09:16 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 30/06/10 23:45, Tony Pursell wrote:

>>> Have you reboot since you loaded 3.6.6 ? There are other ways
>>> to fix your problem but reboot is simple.
>>>
>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> I restarted Firefox after update then no problem opening links in
>> Evolution.
>>
> Ummmm, what does Thunderbird have to do with Evolution?
>
> Evolution is Evolution; Thunderbird is Thunderbird.
>
> Unless I have been totally missing something for years of course.
>

>> I s it just a Thunderbird problem? For instance, open a terminal and
>> type in http://www.ubuntulinux.org then right click it and select Open
>> Link. What do you get? If you get an error, check what you have in
>> System> Preferences> Preferred Applications.
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Thanks, Tony, but as I stated, the path to FF is correct. And when I do
> what you just suggested (although I think what you suggested is not
> quite right) I get an error, "No such file or directory" even though I
> can start FF from ALT-F2 using the correct path (/usr/bin/firefox -
> where FF is a symlink to where it actually resides).
>
> This whole question about TB not being able to auto bring up links in FF
> has been around for quite some time. Suggestions about not having the
> correct activation statement in Preferences for FF is one such
> suggestion for failure of TB to call FF; another one is not having
> either or both as the default internet applications, another one is not
> having the correct parameter written in the TB's user.js or in FF's
> about:config settings.... In earlier years there was this thing called
> launchy.xml in FF - but I deleted it some years ago and TB still linked
> with FF.
>
> That is until today... :-( . Not nice, not nice at all.
>

> BC

I am just testing Firefox 3.6.6 and must say it appears to
work just fine on my computer. I had a url in another file and it was
brought up just like it should.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Billie Walsh

Could this be a return of the missing setting that has plagued
Thunderbird off and on for the last few versions?

Edit > Preferences > Advanced> Advanced Configuration > Config Editor

Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Colin Law

On 30 June 2010 16:16, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 30/06/10 23:45, Tony Pursell wrote:
>> I s it just a Thunderbird problem? *For instance, open a terminal and
>> type in http://www.ubuntulinux.org then right click it and select Open
>> Link. *What do you get? *If you get an error, check what you have in
>> System> *Preferences> *Preferred Applications.
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Thanks, Tony, but as I stated, the path to FF is correct. And when I do
> what you just suggested (although I think what you suggested is not
> quite right) I get an error, "No such file or directory" even though I
> can start FF from ALT-F2 using the correct path (/usr/bin/firefox -
> where FF is a symlink to where it actually resides).

Tony's suggestion (right click a link in terminal and select Open
Link) works fine for me.

Colin

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:20:01PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
>
> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
>
> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?

Yup. Upgraded from FF 3.0.x to 3.6.6 (some jump, huh?) and suddenly
couldn't bring up FF from a URL in Mutt. Ran a few searches and found the
fix was to add "export BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox" to my ~/.bashrc file.
After I verified that it worked I commented it out, rebooted, and saw
the same problem. Uncommented the entry and everything was fine.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279