Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Latest Firefox 3.6.6 - I don't like it...

On 01/07/10 01:52, Billie Walsh wrote:
> Could this be a return of the missing setting that has plagued
> Thunderbird off and on for the last few versions?
>
> Edit> Preferences> Advanced> Advanced Configuration> Config Editor

Not really. TB has not changed, it was FF which was upgraded to 3.6.6.
Unless of course whatever upgraded FF also did some damage to some
control file affecting TB and its ability to link to FF.

BC

Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/07/10 02:13, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 June 2010 16:16, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> On 30/06/10 23:45, Tony Pursell wrote:

>>> I s it just a Thunderbird problem? For instance, open a terminal and
>>> type in http://www.ubuntulinux.org then right click it and select Open
>>> Link. What do you get? If you get an error, check what you have in
>>> System> Preferences> Preferred Applications.
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>

>> Thanks, Tony, but as I stated, the path to FF is correct. And when I do
>> what you just suggested (although I think what you suggested is not
>> quite right) I get an error, "No such file or directory" even though I
>> can start FF from ALT-F2 using the correct path (/usr/bin/firefox -
>> where FF is a symlink to where it actually resides).
>>
> Tony's suggestion (right click a link in terminal and select Open
> Link) works fine for me.
>
> Colin

Then my installation must be totally out-of-whack with everyone else's
because even doing this does nothing here :-( .

BC

Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/07/10 08:05, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:20:01PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
>> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
>> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
>> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
>>
>> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
>> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
>> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
>>
>> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?
>>
> Yup.

Oh good, I wasn't imagining it then :-) .

> Upgraded from FF 3.0.x to 3.6.6 (some jump, huh?) and suddenly
> couldn't bring up FF from a URL in Mutt. Ran a few searches and found the
> fix was to add "export BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox" to my ~/.bashrc file.
> After I verified that it worked I commented it out, rebooted, and saw
> the same problem. Uncommented the entry and everything was fine.

Unless what you wrote above is not quite right or I am not reading it
correctly, adding a line into my .bashrc exactly as you show produces
the same result as one from a dead horse :-( .

But thank you for your response and suggested cure to the irritation :-) .

Years of perfect co-ordination between TB and FF have gone up in smoke
in a matter of a few minutes......I must now see how I can go back to
the previous version of FF...

BC

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Mark Widdicombe

> On 01/07/10 08:05, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:20:01PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > fix was to add "export BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox" to my ~/.bashrc
> file.
<snip>
> Unless what you wrote above is not quite right or I am not reading it
> correctly, adding a line into my .bashrc exactly as you show produces
> the same result as one from a dead horse :-( .

I'm sorry if I'm stating something quite obvious, but did you run your .bashrc after adding the line?:
$. .bashrc

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 17:32 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 01/07/10 02:13, Colin Law wrote:

> >> Thanks, Tony, but as I stated, the path to FF is correct. And when I do
> >> what you just suggested (although I think what you suggested is not
> >> quite right) I get an error, "No such file or directory" even though I
> >> can start FF from ALT-F2 using the correct path (/usr/bin/firefox -
> >> where FF is a symlink to where it actually resides).
> >>
> > Tony's suggestion (right click a link in terminal and select Open
> > Link) works fine for me.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> Then my installation must be totally out-of-whack with everyone else's
> because even doing this does nothing here :-( .
>
> BC

Do you have Firefox as your preferred browser in System > Preferences >
Preferred Applications? Or do you have 'Custom'. If you have Custom,
this will give you this behaviour.

Tony

Old 07-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:44:59PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 01/07/10 08:05, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:20:01PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> >
> >> I had a perfectly working combination of Thunderbird and Firefox whereby
> >> clicking on an URL link in TB would bring up that link in
> >> Firefox......until this latest version, 3.6.6, installed earlier today
> >> :-) . That nice link has now been destroyed.
> >>
> >> FF is my default browser, its path is written correctly in its
> >> preferences (and it starts OK using this path on a command line), the
> >> config file for TB hasn't been altered....
> >>
> >> Anyone else suffering this annoyance following the upgrade of FF?
> >>
> > Yup.
>
> Oh good, I wasn't imagining it then :-) .
>
> > Upgraded from FF 3.0.x to 3.6.6 (some jump, huh?) and suddenly
> > couldn't bring up FF from a URL in Mutt. Ran a few searches and found the
> > fix was to add "export BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox" to my ~/.bashrc file.
> > After I verified that it worked I commented it out, rebooted, and saw
> > the same problem. Uncommented the entry and everything was fine.
> >

> Unless what you wrote above is not quite right or I am not reading it
> correctly, adding a line into my .bashrc exactly as you show produces
> the same result as one from a dead horse :-( .

I'll be damned. It looks like Alpine, which I also have on my system,
doesn't have the problem but Mutt does. Alpine has the FF path right in
it's configuration file but Mutt depends on urlscan or urlview (separate
programs from Mutt) to call the browser. The
/usr/share/doc/urlscan/README file says

"urlscan uses sensible-browser to invoke the default Web browser of
the current environment. To choose a particular browser, set the
environment variable BROWSER; e.g.,

export BROWSER=/usr/bin/epiphany"

which, of course, changes to FF. Only used T'bird briefly a few years
ago and can't remember the where browser is called but he ~/.bashrc
entry *should* be a universal fix (it says here in fine print).

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 07-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/07/10 20:12, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 17:32 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Tony's suggestion (right click a link in terminal and select Open
>>> Link) works fine for me.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>

>> Then my installation must be totally out-of-whack with everyone else's
>> because even doing this does nothing here :-( .
>>
>> BC
>>

> Do you have Firefox as your preferred browser in System> Preferences>
> Preferred Applications? Or do you have 'Custom'. If you have Custom,
> this will give you this behaviour.

As always, FF and TB are set to be the preferred internet applications
after an installation - so, yes, it is not Custom.

BC

Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Basil Chupin

On 01/07/10 18:01, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
>> On 01/07/10 08:05, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:20:01PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> fix was to add "export BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox" to my ~/.bashrc
>>>
>> file.
>>
> <snip>
>
>> Unless what you wrote above is not quite right or I am not reading it
>> correctly, adding a line into my .bashrc exactly as you show produces
>> the same result as one from a dead horse :-( .
>>

> I'm sorry if I'm stating something quite obvious, but did you run your .bashrc after adding the line?:
> $. .bashrc

The next best thing....I rebooted, several times :-) .

BC

Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Basil Chupin

On 02/07/10 10:58, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 05:44:59PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Yup.
>>>
>> Oh good, I wasn't imagining it then :-) .
>>

>>> Upgraded from FF 3.0.x to 3.6.6 (some jump, huh?) and suddenly
>>> couldn't bring up FF from a URL in Mutt. Ran a few searches and found the
>>> fix was to add "export BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox" to my ~/.bashrc file.
>>> After I verified that it worked I commented it out, rebooted, and saw
>>> the same problem. Uncommented the entry and everything was fine.
>>>

>> Unless what you wrote above is not quite right or I am not reading it
>> correctly, adding a line into my .bashrc exactly as you show produces
>> the same result as one from a dead horse :-( .
>>
> I'll be damned.

Welcome to the club :-) .

> It looks like Alpine, which I also have on my system,
> doesn't have the problem but Mutt does. Alpine has the FF path right in
> it's configuration file but Mutt depends on urlscan or urlview (separate
> programs from Mutt) to call the browser. The
> /usr/share/doc/urlscan/README file says
>
> "urlscan uses sensible-browser to invoke the default Web browser of
> the current environment. To choose a particular browser, set the
> environment variable BROWSER; e.g.,
>
> export BROWSER=/usr/bin/epiphany"
>
> which, of course, changes to FF. Only used T'bird briefly a few years
> ago and can't remember the where browser is called but he ~/.bashrc
> entry *should* be a universal fix (it says here in fine print).

I installed Maverick Alpha #2 earlier today and the same behaviour
happens between TB and FF: simply clicking on the link does nothing nor
does R-C'ing and selecting Open Link with Browser :-( . This feature has
been deaded :-( - for me at least.

HOWEVER! Some good nooos!

For many years I have had an add-on called Launchy installed in TB and
which never worked, so I disabled it.

I decided to go for broke and re-activated it. And suddenly something
which didn't work for years sprang into life, and Launchy works! Means 3
more mouse clicks...but whose counting, eh? :-)

BC

Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Traveller

On 01/07/2010 11:40 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 02/07/10 10:58, Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Oh good, I wasn't imagining it then :-) .

>>> Unless what you wrote above is not quite right or I am not reading it
>>> correctly, adding a line into my .bashrc exactly as you show produces
>>> the same result as one from a dead horse :-( .
>>>
>> I'll be damned.
>

> Welcome to the club :-) .
>

>> It looks like Alpine, which I also have on my system,
>> doesn't have the problem but Mutt does. Alpine has the FF path right in
>> it's configuration file but Mutt depends on urlscan or urlview (separate
>> programs from Mutt) to call the browser. The
>> /usr/share/doc/urlscan/README file says
>>
>> "urlscan uses sensible-browser to invoke the default Web browser of
>> the current environment. To choose a particular browser, set the
>> environment variable BROWSER; e.g.,
>>
>> export BROWSER=/usr/bin/epiphany"
>>
>> which, of course, changes to FF. Only used T'bird briefly a few years
>> ago and can't remember the where browser is called but he ~/.bashrc
>> entry *should* be a universal fix (it says here in fine print).
>>

> I installed Maverick Alpha #2 earlier today and the same behaviour
> happens between TB and FF: simply clicking on the link does nothing nor
> does R-C'ing and selecting Open Link with Browser :-( . This feature has
> been deaded :-( - for me at least.
>
> HOWEVER! Some good nooos!
>
> For many years I have had an add-on called Launchy installed in TB and
> which never worked, so I disabled it.
>
> I decided to go for broke and re-activated it. And suddenly something
> which didn't work for years sprang into life, and Launchy works! Means 3
> more mouse clicks...but whose counting, eh? :-)
>
> BC

Just out of curiosity, have you checked Preferences > Attachments to
make sure that FireFox is properly set as the handler for http? I had
this sort of behaviour on my Windoze box awhile ago, and found that,
even though the handler claimed to be FireFox, it was pointing in the
wrong direction. I had to "re-aim" it, and all was well.
Dave