Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Verde Denim

Default mount iso

I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive, but with limited (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the external cd/dvd drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file system to install into a vitrualbox machine.

Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the file, and there is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting this action doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless i'm missing something).

I did find this article - http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.html on mounting through Nautilus, but was wondering -

Has anyone tried these and found them useful?
Am I missing something about the Archive Mounter?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Jack

Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 AM
NoOp

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManageDiscImages
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso#Mounting%20ISO%20Files
<http://www.hackourlives.com/mount-iso-images-using-gui-in-ubuntu-10-04-linux/>
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/furiusisomount

Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Tony Pursell

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 19:01 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 06:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> > I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive, but with limited
> > (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the external cd/dvd
> > drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file system to
> > install into a vitrualbox machine.
> > Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the file, and there
> > is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting this action
> > doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless i'm missing
> > something).
> > I did find this article -
> > http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.htmlon
> > mounting through Nautilus, but was wondering -
> > Has anyone tried these and found them useful?
> > Am I missing something about the Archive Mounter?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManageDiscImages
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso#Mounting%20ISO%20Files
> <http://www.hackourlives.com/mount-iso-images-using-gui-in-ubuntu-10-04-linux/>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/furiusisomount

You don't need to take any special action to use an iso with Virtualbox.
You just tell it to use the iso file instead of a CD.

Tony

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Verde Denim

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 19:01 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> On 06/29/2010 06:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> > I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive, but with limited

> > (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the external cd/dvd

> > drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file system to

> > install into a vitrualbox machine.

> > Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the file, and there

> > is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting this action

> > doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless i'm missing

> > something).

> > I did find this article -

> > http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.htmlon

> > mounting through Nautilus, but was wondering -

> > Has anyone tried these and found them useful?

> > Am I missing something about the Archive Mounter?

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManageDiscImages

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso#Mounting%20ISO%20Files

> <http://www.hackourlives.com/mount-iso-images-using-gui-in-ubuntu-10-04-linux/>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/furiusisomount

You don't need to take any special action to use an iso with Virtualbox.

You just tell it to use the iso file instead of a CD.

Tony

Tony
Thanks for the reply. Yep. I figured that out after trying to use a mounted iso... Unmounting and going through some vbox text gave me the rest of what I was after - thanks.
10.04 running on a Samsung N220 with virtual box machines on an external 1Tb SATA3 - not a bad portable setup so far...

Regards
Jack

Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Karl Larsen

On 06/29/2010 08:01 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 06:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
>
>> I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive, but with limited
>> (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the external cd/dvd
>> drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file system to
>> install into a vitrualbox machine.
>> Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the file, and there
>> is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting this action
>> doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless i'm missing
>> something).
>> I did find this article -
>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.htmlon

Sorry they changed the web page at ubuntugeek and I could not find
anything mounting an .iso.

73 karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Verde Denim

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/29/2010 08:01 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 06/29/2010 06:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

>> I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive, but with limited

>> (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the external cd/dvd

>> drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file system to

>> install into a vitrualbox machine.

>> Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the file, and there

>> is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting this action

>> doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless i'm missing

>> something).

>> I did find this article -

>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.htmlon

* * Sorry they changed the web page at ubuntugeek and I could not find

anything mounting an .iso.

73 karl

Karl
If you go to the link and get the 404 error, go to the search box (upper right) and type mount iso image. Oddly enough, one of the first hits will be the same page. Selecting that link brought up the page again for me. The scripts they mention are anchors within the text of that page content and essentially do the same thing that the instructions for the loop portion of the article communicate.

Regards
Jack

Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Karl Larsen

wrote:

On 06/29/2010 08:01 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 06/29/2010 06:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

>> I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive,
but with limited

>> (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the
external cd/dvd

>> drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file
system to

>> install into a vitrualbox machine.

>> Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the
file, and there

>> is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting
this action

>> doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless
i'm missing

>> something).

>> I did find this article -

>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.htmlon

* * Sorry they changed the web page at ubuntugeek and I could not find

anything mounting an .iso.

73 karl

Karl

If you go to the link and get the 404 error, go to the search box
(upper right) and type mount iso image. Oddly enough, one of the first
hits will be the same page. Selecting that link brought up the page
again for me. The scripts they mention are anchors within the text of
that page content and essentially do the same thing that the
instructions for the loop portion of the article communicate.

Regards

Jack

>> mounting through Nautilus, but was wondering -

>> Has anyone tried these and found them useful?

>> Am I missing something about the Archive Mounter?

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManageDiscImages

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso#Mounting%20ISO%20Files

> <http://www.hackourlives.com/mount-iso-images-using-gui-in-ubuntu-10-04-linux/>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/furiusisomount

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* * * * Key ID = 3951B48D

*** *** I quit when the standard 404 page saying no such thing exists.
It is usually accurate :-)

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Verde Denim

wrote:

On 06/29/2010 08:01 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 06/29/2010 06:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

>> I wanted to build a vm of bt4 on my netbook external drive,
but with limited

>> (3) usb ports and needing two for each of the drive and the
external cd/dvd

>> drives, I am looking into mounting the iso on the local file
system to

>> install into a vitrualbox machine.

>> Upon downloading the iso, I checked the context menu of the
file, and there

>> is an entry labeled _Open with Archive Mounter_ but selecting
this action

>> doesn't seem to yield the results I was looking for (unless
i'm missing

>> something).

>> I did find this article -

>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.htmlon

* * Sorry they changed the web page at ubuntugeek and I could not find

anything mounting an .iso.

73 karl

Karl

If you go to the link and get the 404 error, go to the search box
(upper right) and type mount iso image. Oddly enough, one of the first
hits will be the same page. Selecting that link brought up the page
again for me. The scripts they mention are anchors within the text of
that page content and essentially do the same thing that the
instructions for the loop portion of the article communicate.

Regards

Jack

>> mounting through Nautilus, but was wondering -

>> Has anyone tried these and found them useful?

>> Am I missing something about the Archive Mounter?

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManageDiscImages

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso#Mounting%20ISO%20Files

> <http://www.hackourlives.com/mount-iso-images-using-gui-in-ubuntu-10-04-linux/>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/furiusisomount

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* * * * Key ID = 3951B48D

*** *** I quit when the standard 404 page saying no such thing exists.
It is usually accurate :-)

Karl
No worries. If you'd like the mount and unmount shells, i'd be happy to share them since they were gnu when i got them...

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User