Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Default 8.04 -> 10.04 Grub Grub 2 and LVM

Title: Signature

I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS
and have been unable to boot it since.

The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.

I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load lvm2
and mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume groups.
The files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being loaded
during boot.

I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2

I have several other production machines I need to upgrade so I want to
try to resolve this.

I'm wondering if anyone has and suggestions.

--

Robert
Steinmetz,

Principal

Steinmetz & Associates

Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Karl Larsen

[...]

*** A couple of things. First you should not update from 8.04 to 10.4.
I think that is to big a jump. Also that is why you have GRUB and not
GRUB2. Then to make matters even worse you have a RAID array which has
been a problem on 10.04. I suggest you search for the RAID bugs on the
Ubuntu main page and also consider if you can load 10.04 from the
LiveCD and update and then get your HOME from 8.04 copied to your 10.04
now :-)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 29 June 2010 20:14, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> *** A couple of things. First you should not update from 8.04 to 10.4. I
> think that is to big a jump.
Incorrect. 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS upgrades are supported and that's how
it's supposed to go. You can do a direct upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04
w/o any other upgrade steps in between whereas if you were upgrading
from a non-LTS release, you are recommended to go through each of
those one by one.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Karl Larsen

On 06/29/2010 01:20 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 20:14, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A couple of things. First you should not update from 8.04 to 10.4. I
>> think that is to big a jump.
>>
> Incorrect. 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS upgrades are supported and that's how
> it's supposed to go. You can do a direct upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04
> w/o any other upgrade steps in between whereas if you were upgrading
> from a non-LTS release, you are recommended to go through each of
> those one by one.

Perhaps, but it failed totally for the person I wrote to.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
"W. Scott Lockwood III"

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 14:16 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Incorrect. 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS upgrades are supported and that's
> how
> > it's supposed to go. You can do a direct upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04
> > w/o any other upgrade steps in between whereas if you were upgrading
> > from a non-LTS release, you are recommended to go through each of
> > those one by one.
> >

> Perhaps, but it failed totally for the person I wrote to.

This is why my upgrade procedure has become:

#0: Back up all data on the system. (home
dir, /etc, /usr/local, /var/www, etc)
#1: Burn new distro to cd
#2: Boot from cd
#3: Wipe drive
#4: Do clean install
#5: Restore all data.

The nice thing about this method, is that if anything goes wrong, you
don't care - you just go back to step 3 and try again. All your data is
nice and safe on your backup.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

W. Scott Lockwood III

Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Karl Larsen

On 06/29/2010 02:21 PM, W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 14:16 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>> Incorrect. 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS upgrades are supported and that's
>>>
>> how
>>
>>> it's supposed to go. You can do a direct upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04
>>> w/o any other upgrade steps in between whereas if you were upgrading
>>> from a non-LTS release, you are recommended to go through each of
>>> those one by one.
>>>

>> Perhaps, but it failed totally for the person I wrote to.
>>

> This is why my upgrade procedure has become:
>
> #0: Back up all data on the system. (home
> dir, /etc, /usr/local, /var/www, etc)
> #1: Burn new distro to cd
> #2: Boot from cd
> #3: Wipe drive
> #4: Do clean install
> #5: Restore all data.
>
> The nice thing about this method, is that if anything goes wrong, you
> don't care - you just go back to step 3 and try again. All your data is
> nice and safe on your backup.

What do you do if the 8.04 has a RAID hard drive and it fails
to work on 10.04? I really do not know either.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
<rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:

> I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS and
> have been unable to boot it since.
>
> The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.
>
> I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load lvm2 and
> mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume groups. The
> files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being loaded during boot.
> I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2

At what point does your boot fail?

Is /boot lvm'd or mdadm'd? What is /boot's filesystem?

Is grub2 not installed or is it chainloaded by grub1?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Robert Steinmetz

The upgrade did not fail totally.

The only thing that is not working is booting to the root Logical
Volume on a raid array.

As I understand the GRUB situation GRUB is not supposed to be upgraded
on existing installs but GRUB2 is installed by default on new installs.

What seems not to be working is that GRUB is not loading lvm kernel
module and therefore the the root device /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root cannot
be found.

I can boot a Live CD using the nodmraid option, install lvm2 and dmadm.
The Live CD does not include lvm2.

Then I can activate the raid arrays and recover the volume groups. All
of the data is there and appears to be working.

I can chroot to my original root device and all is good.

I have several production machines with very similar configurations and
need to upgrade them. I am trying to understand what went wrong so I
can fix it and hopefully the result will help other people in the same
situation.

The solution may be as simple as reinstalling GRUB to update the
configuration, using grub-install /dv/sda but I want to be sure before
I try that.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Robert Steinmetz

<rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:

I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS and
have been unable to boot it since.

The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.

I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load lvm2 and
mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume groups. The
files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being loaded during boot.
I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2

At what point does your boot fail

GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file
system and drops into a shell.

Is /boot lvm'd or mdadm'd? What is /boot's filesystem?

/boot is not lvm'd or mdadm it is a reiserfs

/ is both lvm'd and mdadm'd

Is grub2 not installed or is it chainloaded by grub1?

I don't think grub2 is installed

grub-install -v returns version 0.97

--

Robert
Steinmetz,

Principal

Steinmetz
& Associates

Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 29.06.2010, 16:44 -0500 schrieb Robert Steinmetz:
> On 6/29/2010 4:14 PM, Tom H wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
> > <rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS and
> > > have been unable to boot it since.
> > >
> > > The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.
> > >
> > > I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load lvm2 and
> > > mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume groups. The
> > > files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being loaded during boot.
> > > I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2
> > >
> > At what point does your boot fail
> >
> GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file
> system and drops into a shell.
thats not GRUB but the initramfs, if you end up in a busybox shell, your
GRUB install is perfectly intact ... (and yes, your statement in another
mail in this thread is correct, upgraded installs with working GRUB1
will never be upgraded to GRUB2 in an automatic way)

ciao
oli