Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Robert Steinmetz

Default 8.04 -> 10.04 Grub Grub 2 and LVM

On 6/29/2010 4:49 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 29.06.2010, 16:44 -0500 schrieb Robert Steinmetz:

On 6/29/2010 4:14 PM, Tom H wrote:

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
<rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:

I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS and
have been unable to boot it since.

The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.

I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load lvm2 and
mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume groups. The
files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being loaded during boot.
I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2

At what point does your boot fail

GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file
system and drops into a shell.

thats not GRUB but the initramfs, if you end up in a busybox shell, your
GRUB install is perfectly intact ... (and yes, your statement in another
mail in this thread is correct, upgraded installs with working GRUB1
will never be upgraded to GRUB2 in an automatic way)

ciao
oli

There is something wrong if the kernel cannot find the device
/dev/mapper/ubuntu-root

This all worked before the upgrade

It seems that lvm is not loading since when it drops in the shell
/proc/modules does not have an entry for lvm.

--

Robert
Steinmetz,

Principal

Steinmetz
& Associates

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 29.06.2010, 17:15 -0500 schrieb Robert Steinmetz:

> > > GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file
> > > system and drops into a shell.
> > >
> > thats not GRUB but the initramfs, if you end up in a busybox shell, your
> > GRUB install is perfectly intact ... (and yes, your statement in another
> > mail in this thread is correct, upgraded installs with working GRUB1
> > will never be upgraded to GRUB2 in an automatic way)
> >
> > ciao
> > oli
> >
> There is something wrong if the kernel cannot find the
> device /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root
> This all worked before the upgrade
> It seems that lvm is not loading since when it drops in the
> shell /proc/modules does not have an entry for lvm.
there is surely something wrong, all i wanted to point out is that it is
not GRUB since your boot progresses to a point far beyond GRUB.
there were likely changes in lvm or initramfs-tools that cause your
issues, i would suggest looking at launchpad for related bugreports,
there might be workarounds.

ciao
oli

Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Robert Steinmetz <rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:
> On 6/29/2010 4:14 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
> <rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:
>
>>> I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS and
>>> have been unable to boot it since.
>>> The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.
>>> I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load lvm2 and
>>> mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume groups. The
>>> files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being loaded during boot.
>>> I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2
>>
>> At what point does your boot fail?
>
> GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file system
> and drops into a shell.

"drops into a shell" means that your initramfs cannot find /, can you
load mdadm and lvm and continue from there by running the scripts
manually?

>> Is /boot lvm'd or mdadm'd? What is /boot's filesystem?
>
> /boot is not lvm'd or mdadm it is a reiserfs
> / is both lvm'd and mdadm'd

OK

>> Is grub2 not installed or is it chainloaded by grub1?
>
> I don't think grub2 is installed
> grub-install -v returns version 0.97

OK

Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Title: Signature

Tom H wrote:

GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file system
and drops into a shell.

"drops into a shell" means that your initramfs cannot find /, can you
load mdadm and lvm and continue from there by running the scripts
manually?

Thanks for the help. I think I'm making progress.

I'm not sure what scripts to run to load mdadm and lmv but in
/scripts/init-premount there are scripts named lvm2 and mdadm

When I run those scripts manually, I get this;

(initramfs) cd /scripts/init-premount

(initramfs) ./lvm2

ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/20-lvm2: File Exists

(initramfs) ./mdadm

ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/10-mdadm: File exists

--

Robert
Steinmetz,

Principal

Steinmetz & Associates

Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
<rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:
>> Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file system
>>> and drops into a shell.
>>
>> "drops into a shell" means that your initramfs cannot find /, can you
>> load mdadm and lvm and continue from there by running the scripts
>> manually?
>
> Thanks for the help. I think I'm making progress.
>
> I'm not sure what scripts to run to load mdadm and lmv but in
> /scripts/init-premount there are scripts named lvm2 and mdadm
>
> When I run those scripts manually, I get this;
>
> (initramfs) cd /scripts/init-premount
> (initramfs) ./lvm2
> ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/20-lvm2: File Exists
> (initramfs) ./mdadm
> ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/10-mdadm: File exists

You're welcome.

Is udev creating the required /dev/md* and /dev/mapper/*?

If yes, try the mdadm and lvm commands in /sbin.

If the above two work, perhaps adding a rootdelay=x to the kernel line
will fix your problem because it might just be a question of timing.

(I meant the scripts in /scripts)

Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 03:15:55 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
><rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:

>Is udev creating the required /dev/md* and /dev/mapper/*?
>
>If yes, try the mdadm and lvm commands in /sbin.
>
>If the above two work, perhaps adding a rootdelay=x to the kernel line
>will fix your problem because it might just be a question of timing.
>
>(I meant the scripts in /scripts)

At the busybox shell, something like:

# lvmdiskscan
# lvm vgs
# lvm vgchange -ay # should activate all
# exit

Then run update-initramfs once (if) the box boots.

-jh

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Robert Steinmetz

Title: Signature

<rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:

I'm not sure what scripts to run to load mdadm and lmv but in
/scripts/init-premount there are scripts named lvm2 and mdadm

When I run those scripts manually, I get this;

(initramfs) cd /scripts/init-premount
(initramfs) ./lvm2
ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/20-lvm2: File Exists
(initramfs) ./mdadm
ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/10-mdadm: File exists

You're welcome.

Is udev creating the required /dev/md* and /dev/mapper/*?

If yes, try the mdadm and lvm commands in /sbin.

If the above two work, perhaps adding a rootdelay=x to the kernel line
will fix your problem because it might just be a question of timing.

(I meant the scripts in /scripts)

udev is not creating the devices,* /dev/md0, /dev/md1 or /dev/mapper/*
are not there when I drop into initramfs.

They are created when I run /sbin/mdadm (/dev/md0 and /dev/md1) and
/sbin/lmv (/dev/mapper/*) manually.

When I run mdadm -A --scan I get an error about /dev/urandom

When I run mdadm -A /dev/md0 or /dev/md1 it creates the devices and
activates the array.

--

Robert
Steinmetz, AIA

Principal

Steinmetz & Associates

Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Robert Steinmetz AIA

Title: Signature

<rob@steinmetznet.com> wrote:

Tom H wrote:

GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file system
and drops into a shell.

Is udev creating the required /dev/md* and /dev/mapper/*?

If yes, try the mdadm and lvm commands in /sbin.

If the above two work, perhaps adding a rootdelay=x to the kernel line
will fix your problem because it might just be a question of timing.

(I meant the scripts in /scripts)

At the busybox shell, something like:

# lvmdiskscan
# lvm vgs
# lvm vgchange -ay # should activate all
# exit

Then run update-initramfs once (if) the box boots.

-jh

Thanks for that it helped some.

In order to boot I had to modify your commands somewhat. I needed to
run mdadm to create the arrays and lvmdiskscan was not installed, not
sure what it does that lvm vgs doesn't do.

# mdadm -A --scan

# lvm vgs

# lcm vgchange -ay

That created the devices and made them available

# exit

Booted into Linux with all devices available, I get some error messages
but overall it looks good.

$ sudo update-initramfs -u

Updated existing initramfs

$sudo reboot

Still not booting. When I get to the initramfs shell neither /dev/md0
nor /dev/md1 is there.

In the GRUB menu I have tried adding raid-noautodetect and
rootdelay=240 together and separately with no change (except for a
longer boot time).

Is there a log someplace for udev?

--

Robert