Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Oliver Grawert

Default Linux PDA cell phones - Linux on Android compatible cell phones? ; jor Ubuntu

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 29.06.2010, 01:23 -0700 schrieb giovanni_re:
> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
> linux distro?
>
> ie, making something like a linux pda with cell phone capability?
>
> Is there an Ubuntu, or Debian, or some other community based distro for
> the android phone hw?
the nokia n900 comes with a debian based OS preinstalled

ciao
oli

Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 13:25 +0700, rhizoma rio wrote:
> So, if linux is kernel, and android is modified kernel for embedded
> system purpose, can we say android is linux
>
> > On Dec 13, 2010 3:41 AM, "MR ZenWiz" <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM, rhizoma rio <xrhizoma@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > it's confusing me? what ...
> >
> > You are correct - Linux is the kernel. Period.
> >
> > A "distro" is a particular Linux-based distribution of a complete
> > system - kernel + standard system commands "required" to run Linux
> > on
> > a machine (mostly from GNU/FSF) + usually now one or more graphical
> > desktop manager (typically GNOME or KDE, but there are many others,
> > too) + whatever other options the distro happens to include (server
> > packages, development packages, and many, many, many more).
> >
> > Distros include Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora,
> > Mint, Slackware, SCO, Gentoo, Novell/SuSE and so on. Each one has
> > its
> > own particular bent and/or flavor, so pick one you like and go with
> > it.

Please don't top post. It was confusing as merry hell trying to figure
out who wrote what from your reply. Please sin no more. Ric

Linux user# 44256