Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM
sam tygier

Default Linux PDA cell phones - Linux on Android compatible cell phones? ; jor Ubuntu

On 29/06/10 09:23, giovanni_re wrote:
> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
> linux distro?
>
> ie, making something like a linux pda with cell phone capability?
>
> Is there an Ubuntu, or Debian, or some other community based distro for
> the android phone hw?

you should probably have a look at the openmoko project. They built an open enough phone to run many distros.

sam

Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Smokin Chevy

Android is an operating system.* Not a phone.* Android OS is a modified Linux.

Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability

linux distro?

ie, making something like a linux pda with cell phone capability?

Is there an Ubuntu, or Debian, or some other community based distro for

the android phone hw?

Refs:

http://www.saurik.com/id/10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1254343

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1466802

Ask HN: Which Android Phone to Buy?

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1466520

iPhone 4 Costs $188 To Make

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/28/iphone-4-costs-188-to-make/

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1467812

Google can kill or install apps on citizen Androids

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/google_remote_android_application_install/

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1467569

Google’s mismanagement of the Android Market

http://nanocr.eu/2010/06/27/googles-mismanagement-of-the-android-market/

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1466802

== *Join in the Global weekly meetings via VOIP about all Free SW HW & Culture

Disclaimer

http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/12/6 Mark Widdicombe <mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za>:
> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
> linux distro?

How about Nokia N900 ?

--
Eero

Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 12/6/2010 6:42 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/12/6 Mark Widdicombe<mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za>:
>> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
>> linux distro?
> How about Nokia N900 ?

Linux technically is not an operating system, it's a group of operating
systems that use the Linux kernel. Android uses a modified Linux
kernel, which means it's more or less a fork of Linux, it's 'Linux like'
(funny saying that isn't it? since we are used to Unix Like :P) anyways,
Maemo is a direct fork and customisation of Debian, it is in-fact
classified as Linux and still holds is Debian roots (like Ubuntu) by
using the dpkg system and holding most if not all (haven't used it in a
while) of the core Debian pieces. Some people will argue Android is
'Linux'; I argue that Android is not, it's Linux like because they
heavily modify the kernel in some areas, it would be like calling Linux,
well, Unix still :S.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Liam Proven

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Mark Widdicombe
<mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za> wrote:
> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
> linux distro?

Er, yes. But if you want to talk Android, try Android fora. Ditto for
MeeGo, or WebOS, or any of the Chinese variants.

I don't know of any phones running Ubuntu.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
rhizoma rio

it's confusing me? what is the different between linux and distro... so far as I know, the term of "LINUX" is kernel.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/12/10 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Mark Widdicombe
> <mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za> wrote:
>> Anyone here have an Android cell phone that runs a some full capability
>> linux distro?
>
> Er, yes. But if you want to talk Android, try Android fora. Ditto for
> MeeGo, or WebOS, or any of the Chinese variants.
>
> I don't know of any phones running Ubuntu.

Neo Freerunner: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner

It's a not good phone.. but is is really open?

--
Eero

Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM, rhizoma rio <xrhizoma@gmail.com> wrote:
> it's confusing me? what is the different between linux and distro... so far
> as I know, the term of "LINUX" is kernel.

You are correct - Linux is the kernel. Period.

A "distro" is a particular Linux-based distribution of a complete
system - kernel + standard system commands "required" to run Linux on
a machine (mostly from GNU/FSF) + usually now one or more graphical
desktop manager (typically GNOME or KDE, but there are many others,
too) + whatever other options the distro happens to include (server
packages, development packages, and many, many, many more).

Distros include Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora,
Mint, Slackware, SCO, Gentoo, Novell/SuSE and so on. Each one has its
own particular bent and/or flavor, so pick one you like and go with
it.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 AM
rhizoma rio

So, if linux is kernel, and android is modified kernel for embedded system purpose, can we say android is linux