Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Default Password Problem (Operator stupidity)

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 15:02, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
> I evidently entered the Super User password incorrectly when I installed
> Ubuntu. *Is there any way to find out what I actually entered?

No.

> If the answer is "no", is there any way to execute commands as Super
> User?

The only password you entered during install should have been your
user account password.

If you don't know this, you won't even be able to log in. However,
since you're asking about executing commands and not about the
inability to log in, I have to assume you CAN log in, and so when you
use sudo, your regular user password is what you need...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Preston Hagar

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
> I evidently entered the Super User password incorrectly when I installed
> Ubuntu. *Is there any way to find out what I actually entered?
>
> If the answer is "no", is there any way to execute commands as Super
> User?
>
> Thanks,
> John

There is no way to find out what you entered. Can you log into the
normal user account you created during install? Most Ubuntu installs
I have seen don't even have you set a root (Super User) password
during install. If you really want to set one (and there are security
reasons not to, but it is your system), you can log in under an
account with sudo privileges and do

sudo passwd

You will enter your password once, and then enter the password you
want for root twice. That should reset/set it.

Preston

Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
> I evidently entered the Super User password incorrectly when I installed
> Ubuntu. *Is there any way to find out what I actually entered?
>
> If the answer is "no", is there any way to execute commands as Super
> User?

Why "evidently"? Are you trying to su to root?

There is no root setup in a default Ubuntu install.

The first user that you create - the one created at install - is able
to "sudo" to gain root privilege one command at a time or "sudo
-i"/"sudo -s" for the equivalents of "su -"/"su".