Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Leander Jedamus

Default Upgrade to Document (pdf) Reader to enable handling of XBRL documents

Am 28.06.2010 17:13, schrieb Andrew:
> The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader enables it to handle XBRL
> documents which HM Revenue and Customs are now using for (some) online
> tax returns. Is there an upgrade to the (Ubuntu) Document Reader to
> ensable it to do this? Alternatively, there's a version for linux
> downloadable from the Adobe website - AdbeRdr9.3.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin -

I think it is a script. Try "sh AdbeRdr9.3.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin"

Gruß Leander

Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Tony Pursell

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader enables it to handle XBRL
> documents which HM Revenue and Customs are now using for (some) online
> tax returns. Is there an upgrade to the (Ubuntu) Document Reader to
> ensable it to do this? Alternatively, there's a version for linux
> downloadable from the Adobe website - AdbeRdr9.3.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin -
> but I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to how to install it. Any helpful
> advice gratefully received please.
>
> Andy

If you add the Canonical Partners repository to Software Centre (Edit >
Software Sources...), you can add Adobe Reader 9 to Ubuntu that way.

Tony

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Andrew

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:20 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> > The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader enables it to handle XBRL
> > documents which HM Revenue and Customs are now using for (some) online
> > tax returns. Is there an upgrade to the (Ubuntu) Document Reader to
> > ensable it to do this? Alternatively, there's a version for linux
> > downloadable from the Adobe website - AdbeRdr9.3.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin -
> > but I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to how to install it. Any helpful
> > advice gratefully received please.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> If you add the Canonical Partners repository to Software Centre (Edit >
> Software Sources...), you can add Adobe Reader 9 to Ubuntu that way.
>
> Tony

Thanks,
Canonical Partners repository is checked but Adobe Acrobat Reader
doesn't appear in the list of installable software! Maybe it isn't
installable this way, so do I have to do it on the command line, eg
apt-get install Acrobat 9 or similar?

Andy

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Lennart Jonasson

tis 2010-06-29 klockan 12:01 +0100 skrev Andrew:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:20 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> > > The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader enables it to handle XBRL
> > > documents which HM Revenue and Customs are now using for (some) online
> > > tax returns. Is there an upgrade to the (Ubuntu) Document Reader to
> > > ensable it to do this? Alternatively, there's a version for linux
> > > downloadable from the Adobe website - AdbeRdr9.3.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin -
> > > but I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to how to install it. Any helpful
> > > advice gratefully received please.
> > >
> > > Andy
> > >

> > If you add the Canonical Partners repository to Software Centre (Edit >
> > Software Sources...), you can add Adobe Reader 9 to Ubuntu that way.
> >
> > Tony
>
> Thanks,
> Canonical Partners repository is checked but Adobe Acrobat Reader
> doesn't appear in the list of installable software! Maybe it isn't
> installable this way, so do I have to do it on the command line, eg
> apt-get install Acrobat 9 or similar?
>
> Andy

Could it be that you missed the package because of it's not totally
obvious name "acroread". The version I use is "9.3.2-lucid1". Synaptic
says it is in "lucid/main (archive.canoical.com)".

Best of luck,

Lennart

Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Tony Pursell

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 12:01 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:20 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> > > The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader enables it to handle XBRL
> > > documents which HM Revenue and Customs are now using for (some) online
> > > tax returns. Is there an upgrade to the (Ubuntu) Document Reader to
> > > ensable it to do this? Alternatively, there's a version for linux
> > > downloadable from the Adobe website - AdbeRdr9.3.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin -
> > > but I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to how to install it. Any helpful
> > > advice gratefully received please.
> > >
> > > Andy
> > >

> > If you add the Canonical Partners repository to Software Centre (Edit >
> > Software Sources...), you can add Adobe Reader 9 to Ubuntu that way.
> >
> > Tony
>
> Thanks,
> Canonical Partners repository is checked but Adobe Acrobat Reader
> doesn't appear in the list of installable software! Maybe it isn't
> installable this way, so do I have to do it on the command line, eg
> apt-get install Acrobat 9 or similar?
>
> Andy

Strange. Are you running Lucid, like me? Should be there. Do

sudo apt-get update

to make sure your repository lists are up to date. Check for

Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid/partner Packages

The try again in Software Centre.

Tony

Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 14:01 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:

> Strange. Are you running Lucid, like me? Should be there. Do
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> to make sure your repository lists are up to date. Check for
>
> Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid/partner Packages
>
> The try again in Software Centre.
>
> Tony

No, actually I'm running Karmic (version 9.10) - sorry, I'm not totally
familiar with all the Ubuntu names yet! So the above repository isn't
actually listed and when I type acroread into the search field of
Software Centre I don't get anything. Does this mean I've got to
install/upgrade to Lucid (version 10.04) to get Acrobat Reader 9?

Andy

Old 06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
"W. Scott Lockwood III"

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-acrobat-reader-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

W. Scott Lockwood III

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 09:17 -0500, W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:12 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 14:01 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> >

> > > Strange. Are you running Lucid, like me? Should be there. Do
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get update
> > >
> > > to make sure your repository lists are up to date. Check for
> > >
> > > Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid/partner Packages
> > >
> > > The try again in Software Centre.
> > >
> > > Tony
> >
> > No, actually I'm running Karmic (version 9.10) - sorry, I'm not totally
> > familiar with all the Ubuntu names yet! So the above repository isn't
> > actually listed and when I type acroread into the search field of
> > Software Centre I don't get anything. Does this mean I've got to
> > install/upgrade to Lucid (version 10.04) to get Acrobat Reader 9?
> >
> > Andy
> >

> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-acrobat-reader-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html

Many thanks,
The problem is now solved!

Andy

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
NoOp

On 06/29/2010 02:52 PM, Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 09:17 -0500, W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-acrobat-reader-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html
>>

> Many thanks,
> The problem is now solved!

I'm confused... 1) why would Scott point you to downloading and
installing manually when acroread 9.3.2 is available from the partner
repository, and 2) why did you not install via the canonical partner
repository? Adobe Reader (acroread) 9.3.2 is available from the repository:

http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/acroread/
acroread_9.3.2-karmic1_amd64.deb 14-Apr-2010 06:04 61M
acroread_9.3.2-karmic1_i386.deb 14-Apr-2010 06:04 61M

I _highly_ recommend that you _uninstall_ the manually installed version
and install the repo version. That way you will automatically be
notified of any updated versions in the future. As it stands now, you'll
be stuck with the manually installed version until you check yourself
from Adobe. Given the slew of security issues with Adobe products
lately, I'd opt to keep my system updated from the partner repository.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 16:09 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> I'm confused... 1) why would Scott point you to downloading and
> installing manually when acroread 9.3.2 is available from the partner
> repository, and 2) why did you not install via the canonical partner
> repository? Adobe Reader (acroread) 9.3.2 is available from the repository:
>
> http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/acroread/
> acroread_9.3.2-karmic1_amd64.deb 14-Apr-2010 06:04 61M
> acroread_9.3.2-karmic1_i386.deb 14-Apr-2010 06:04 61M
>
> I _highly_ recommend that you _uninstall_ the manually installed version
> and install the repo version. That way you will automatically be
> notified of any updated versions in the future. As it stands now, you'll
> be stuck with the manually installed version until you check yourself
> from Adobe. Given the slew of security issues with Adobe products
> lately, I'd opt to keep my system updated from the partner repository.

Actually I installed it via Synaptic Package Manager - I was a bit
confused about the distinction between that and Ubuntu Software Centre
because I couldn't find acroread in the latter. So I hope I've now
installed it correctly and will indeed be notified of any updated
versions.

Many thanks,
Andy