Old 06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Leander Jedamus

Default tool for html-docs

Hi!

Is there a tool that collects all the entry points of html-docs
together? I want to have all the starting html's in /usr/share/doc in
one big index.html. I think when a package is installed containing docs
in html-format, it should "register" itself and add a line or two to the
big index.html. When the package is deleted, it should "unregister" and
delete those two lines.
Is that possible?

Thanks in advance
Leander Jedamus

Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Florian Diesch

Leander Jedamus <ljedamus@googlemail.com> writes:

> Is there a tool that collects all the entry points of html-docs
> together? I want to have all the starting html's in /usr/share/doc in
> one big index.html. I think when a package is installed containing docs
> in html-format, it should "register" itself and add a line or two to the
> big index.html. When the package is deleted, it should "unregister" and
> delete those two lines.
> Is that possible?

Install dhelp and go to /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

Florian
--
How to add files opened in Emacs to GNOME’s recently used document list:
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/add-to-gnomes-recently-used-documents/>

Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Leander Jedamus

Am 28.06.2010 22:42, schrieb Florian Diesch:
> Leander Jedamus<ljedamus@googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> Is there a tool that collects all the entry points of html-docs
>> together? I want to have all the starting html's in /usr/share/doc in
>> one big index.html. I think when a package is installed containing docs
>> in html-format, it should "register" itself and add a line or two to the
>> big index.html. When the package is deleted, it should "unregister" and
>> delete those two lines.
>> Is that possible?
>>
> Install dhelp and go to /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
>

> Florian

Thanks for that. Nice tool. But I want to read the html-docs in my
browser. So I did a
sudo ln -s ../../usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html html-docs.html
in /var/www (for apache2).
I know that I can read "file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html".
Problem now is that when I read "http://localhost/html-docs.html",
following a link produces an error 404 File not found.
I think that the links in dhelp should be relative not absolute. Can
anybody fix this behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Leander Jedamus

Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Leander Jedamus

Am 28.06.2010 22:42, schrieb Florian Diesch:
> Leander Jedamus<ljedamus@googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> Is there a tool that collects all the entry points of html-docs
>> together? I want to have all the starting html's in /usr/share/doc in
>> one big index.html. I think when a package is installed containing docs
>> in html-format, it should "register" itself and add a line or two to the
>> big index.html. When the package is deleted, it should "unregister" and
>> delete those two lines.
>> Is that possible?
>>
> Install dhelp and go to /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
>

> Florian

I was stupid. I have to link the directory, not the html-file. Sorry for
that. Forget it.

Thanks
Leander

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Florian Diesch

Leander Jedamus <ljedamus@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 28.06.2010 22:42, schrieb Florian Diesch:
>> Leander Jedamus<ljedamus@googlemail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Is there a tool that collects all the entry points of html-docs
>>> together? I want to have all the starting html's in /usr/share/doc in
>>> one big index.html. I think when a package is installed containing docs
>>> in html-format, it should "register" itself and add a line or two to the
>>> big index.html. When the package is deleted, it should "unregister" and
>>> delete those two lines.
>>> Is that possible?
>>>
>> Install dhelp and go to /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
>>

>> Florian
>>

> Thanks for that. Nice tool. But I want to read the html-docs in my
> browser. So I did a
> sudo ln -s ../../usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html html-docs.html
> in /var/www (for apache2).

<http://localhost/doc/HTML/index.html> works with the standard configuration.

With a local web server I prefer dwww over dhelp

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/misc/mitte.html>