FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Douglas Pollard
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

Hi All, I have a friend that has an old Macentosh hard drive that has a
book she has written on it. Can I put the drive in my external hard
drive case and read in in Ubuntu and put it on DVD. She has been told
that Windows will not be able to read it. I told her I thought I could
do it for her but want to be sure before she mails the drive to me.
Thanks, Doug

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 12:52, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi All, *I have a friend that has an old Macentosh hard drive that has a
> book she has written on it. *Can I put the drive in my external hard
> drive case and read in in Ubuntu and put it on DVD. She has been told
> that Windows will not be able to read it. *I told her I thought I could
> do it for her but want to be sure before she mails the drive to me.
> * * * *Thanks, Doug

Yes, it should work. I have done this a number of times before.

Of course, it would be easier on an actual Mac, which would also
enable you to check the drive for errors and so on.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Maurice McCarthy
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 12:52, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi All, *I have a friend that has an old Macentosh hard drive that has a
> book she has written on it. *Can I put the drive in my external hard
> drive case and read in in Ubuntu and put it on DVD. She has been told
> that Windows will not be able to read it. *I told her I thought I could
> do it for her but want to be sure before she mails the drive to me.
> * * * *Thanks, Doug
>


MacIntosh file systems are hfs or more lately hfsplus so this ought to
be possible with something like

$ aptitude search hfs

p hfsplus - Tools to access HFS+
formatted volumes
p hfsprogs - mkfs and fsck for HFS
and HFS+ file systems
p hfsutils - Tools for reading and
writing Macintosh volumes

$ sudo aptitude install hfsutils
$ sudo mkdir /macdisk
$ sudo mount -t hfs -o ro /dev/external /macdisk

The option ro mounts read only just as a paranoid precaution.

Good Luck
Maurice

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Maurice McCarthy
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

Douglas

Come to think of it if your friend can make a cd image file (an iso
image) of the book and email it to you then you can mount that image
as an loop back device. It would save posting the disk.


$ sudo aptitude install hfs*
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o loop,ro /path/to/book.iso /macdisk

OR

$ sudo mount -o loop -t hfs book.iso /macdisk

Regards
Maurice

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 14:23, Maurice McCarthy <manselton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Douglas
>
> Come to think of it if your friend can make a cd image file (an iso
> image) of the book and email it to you then you can mount that image
> as an loop back device. It would save posting the disk.
>
>
> $ sudo aptitude install hfs*
> $ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o loop,ro /path/to/book.iso /macdisk
>
> OR
>
> $ sudo mount -o loop -t hfs book.iso /macdisk

#1 - if the friend can't read the hard disk, she can't mail one file
from it, can she? The purpose of sending the disk is to recover data
off it, AIUI.

#2 - DVDs typically run to 5GB or so. That is rather too big to email.


--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Maurice McCarthy
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 14:28, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 June 2010 14:23, Maurice McCarthy <manselton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Douglas
>>
>> Come to think of it if your friend can make a cd image file (an iso
>> image) of the book and email it to you then you can mount that image
>> as an loop back device. It would save posting the disk.
>>

>
> #1 - if the friend can't read the hard disk, she can't mail one file
> from it, can she? The purpose of sending the disk is to recover data
> off it, AIUI.

Oops! Too dull I've been, see!

>
> #2 - DVDs typically run to 5GB or so. That is rather too big to email.
>

An iso file can be as small as you like. For example Damn Small Linux
is an operating system in 50 Mb.

Best Wishes
Maurice

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 15:06, Maurice McCarthy <manselton@gmail.com> wrote:

> An iso file can be as small as you like. For example Damn Small Linux
> is an operating system in 50 Mb.

True! I don't know where I got the DVD bit from. But if it was just
any random file off a hard disk, why mail an ISO? Why not just mail
the file itself, or better still, zip it & mail the zip?


--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Douglas Pollard
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

Sorry guys I guess I was not very clear. She will send me her hard
drive and I intend to put it in my empty external drive case and read it
with Ubuntu and copy it. I can send them by email as files or write to
dvd and mail to her. This info is on a pretty small hard drive I think
as it is old. Everyone is telling her that she can only get the files
off and read them with a Mac computer. I don't know what kind of file
system Mac uses or if the advice she has been given is correct. It's my
understanding that you can put Ubuntu on a Mac and move the personal
files to Ubuntu. I just want to be sure I can work with the Mac files
or convert them to something Ubuntu can work with. Doug


On 06/28/2010 10:06 AM, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
> On 28 June 2010 14:28, Liam Proven<lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 28 June 2010 14:23, Maurice McCarthy<manselton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Douglas
>>>
>>> Come to think of it if your friend can make a cd image file (an iso
>>> image) of the book and email it to you then you can mount that image
>>> as an loop back device. It would save posting the disk.
>>>
>>>
>
>> #1 - if the friend can't read the hard disk, she can't mail one file
>> from it, can she? The purpose of sending the disk is to recover data
>> off it, AIUI.
>>
> Oops! Too dull I've been, see!
>
>
>> #2 - DVDs typically run to 5GB or so. That is rather too big to email.
>>
>>
> An iso file can be as small as you like. For example Damn Small Linux
> is an operating system in 50 Mb.
>
> Best Wishes
> Maurice
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Maurice McCarthy
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 15:25, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 June 2010 15:06, Maurice McCarthy <manselton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> An iso file can be as small as you like. For example Damn Small Linux
>> is an operating system in 50 Mb.
>
> True! I don't know where I got the DVD bit from. But if it was just
> any random file off a hard disk, why mail an ISO? Why not just mail
> the file itself, or better still, zip it & mail the zip?
>

Yeah, I just was not thinking straight.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Maurice McCarthy
 
Default read extern drive in ubuntu

On 28 June 2010 15:38, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Sorry guys I guess I was not very clear. *She will send me her hard
> drive and I intend to put it in my empty external drive case and read it
> with Ubuntu and copy it. * I can send them by email as files or write to
> dvd and mail to her. *This info is on a pretty small hard drive I think
> as it is old. *Everyone is telling her that she can only get the files
> off and read them with a Mac computer. *I don't know what kind of file
> system Mac uses or if the advice she has been given is correct. *It's my
> understanding that you can put Ubuntu on a Mac and move the personal
> files to Ubuntu. *I just want to be sure I can work with the Mac files
> or convert them to something Ubuntu can work with. * * * *Doug
>
>

I think you just have to install hfsutils and everything should go
fine. You'll find it in the Ubuntu Software Centre if you put hfs in
the search bar.

Maurice

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org