Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Ronald B Cadby

Default 10.4 choking

I seem to be having the choking problem with 10.4, i.e. graying and
frozen screen(s). This isn't the first occurrence. I had the same
FireFox gray-outs others have mentioned here on prior installs.

After three 10.4 installs (won't bore you with those details) the last
one was done with a 'use whole disk' install from a live ISO CD.

Most went well until I installed Wine and NoteTabPro opening a very
large file to edit. NTP always did this effortlessly on previous ubuntu
versions.

The NTP program display in the status bar that it had opened the fill in
memory. I'm guessing, but this looks like Lucid is not handling
resources properly.

Also, a boot problem showed up at the same time, i.e. it hangs at the
splash screen wait period. I'm again guessing that something is taking
too long to process triggering this fault. Even after removing the
"silent splash" option it still hangs up. If I close the laptop lid and
reopen it it somehow 'wakes up' the frozen process and finally finishes
the boot. Go figure.

My question is, should I and how can I 'adjust' the Lucid install re
memory or swap space or whatever might fix this problem?

I'll try not to use NTP until I get this solved.

FYI: I'm using a Dell laptop Vostro 1000 and, as I said, all has gone
well with ubuntu until now.

TIA.......Ron

--
You can lead a horse to water.....(The Hoarse Whisperer)

Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Calcpage

On Jun 27, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Ronald B Cadby <RCadby@RonCadby.org> wrote:

> I seem to be having the choking problem with 10.4, i.e. graying and
> frozen screen(s). This isn't the first occurrence. I had the same
> FireFox gray-outs others have mentioned here on prior installs.
>
> After three 10.4 installs (won't bore you with those details) the last
> one was done with a 'use whole disk' install from a live ISO CD.

OK, what is this 'whole disk' of which you speak? Isn't the whole
disk copied when you use the Ubuntu installer?

> Most went well until I installed Wine and NoteTabPro opening a very
> large file to edit. NTP always did this effortlessly on previous
> ubuntu
> versions.

How did you install WINE? This is not on the disk, right?

> The NTP program display in the status bar that it had opened the
> fill in
> memory. I'm guessing, but this looks like Lucid is not handling
> resources properly.
>
> Also, a boot problem showed up at the same time, i.e. it hangs at the
> splash screen wait period. I'm again guessing that something is taking
> too long to process triggering this fault. Even after removing the
> "silent splash" option it still hangs up. If I close the laptop lid
> and
> reopen it it somehow 'wakes up' the frozen process and finally
> finishes
> the boot. Go figure.

Sorry about your difficulties installing to a laptop! I'm afraid I
can't help you, but I will be following this thread as I may want to
install Ubuntu in my Dell Studio 1560.

> My question is, should I and how can I 'adjust' the Lucid install re
> memory or swap space or whatever might fix this problem?
>
> I'll try not to use NTP until I get this solved.
>
> FYI: I'm using a Dell laptop Vostro 1000 and, as I said, all has gone
> well with ubuntu until now.
>
> TIA......Ron

Regards,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
Sent from my iPod

Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Ronald B Cadby wrote:

> I seem to be having the choking problem with 10.4, i.e. graying and
> frozen screen(s). This isn't the first occurrence. I had the same
> FireFox gray-outs others have mentioned here on prior installs.

i just went into system -> preferences -> appearance and turned off
visual effects. haven't had a grey out since.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Larry Mundinger

On 06/27/2010 02:17 PM, Ronald B Cadby wrote:
> I seem to be having the choking problem with 10.4, i.e. graying and
> frozen screen(s). This isn't the first occurrence. I had the same
> FireFox gray-outs others have mentioned here on prior installs.

I see the same thing. It seems to happen when one of the ubiquitous
advertisements on a web page is slow to load. See what Firefox is
waiting for when it happens.

I also see the same thing on Liferea when it is waiting for a slow RSS feed.

It seems to be a way of notifying me that a program is stalled waiting
for a response from a server.

LPM