-   -   /etc/network/interfaces changed in 7.10? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/3916-etc-network-interfaces-changed-7-10-a.html)

Derek Broughton 11-23-2007 09:12 PM

Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 01:49:14PM -0500, Jimmy Wu wrote:
>> All right, I've created the script suggested by Marius Gedminas, made it
>> executable, put it in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/, rebooted, and nothing
>> happened (no iptables rules) :-(
>
> Well, I did say that I never tested it... It's very likely that
> NetworkManager completely ignores these /etc/network/ scripts.

No, I use them routinely. I restart fetchmail and fetchnews on every
interface event.

>> Any suggestions?
>
> Load the iptables rules on boot rather than when a network interface
> comes up? IIRC /etc/init.d/iptables even has built-in support for this:
> you set up your firewall, then run 'sudo /etc/init.d/iptables save active'
> and it will automatically restore that setup on boot.

I really don't like that. It can work, but some rulesets actually depend on
the particular IP address you have - which you don't know until if-up time.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 11-23-2007 09:13 PM

Jimmy Wu wrote:

> @Derek
> Sorry, the script is below.
> The rules are in a few that I told iptables to save a while back, and the
> save file does work when I do 'sudo iptables-restore <
> /etc/network/iptables.up.rules' manually.

There's your problem - you missed a level of directory:

/etc/network/if-up.d/iptables.up.rules

or

/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables.up.rules
--
derek