FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Linux Wish List ( Email Client )

Richard wrote:

> Well, after using (K)ubuntu's for about 3 years, I can say, coming from
> Mac and Windows, there are some gaps in Linux apps that need to be filled:
>
> Email Clients: Linux's does have some good email clients,
> However...they are not fully intergrated, into the OS, as "Outlook",
> Secondly, there are allot on-line services plug-ins, for "Outlook", like
> Plaxo which is "Great" for keeping your contacts up-to date. ( plus ) you
> see other plaxo member's, in your emails, that you may or maynot have as a
> contact.

KMail is fully integrated into the _OS_. It just doesn't have all those
plugins... But as for Plaxo - https://launchpad.net/klaxon/ I have no
idea how good it is, but it's advanced far enough to have a bug database.
>
> However..."Outlook" suffers from the single file database or .pst files,
> which can easily become corrupted, compare to KMail, which keeps messages,
> in maildir or mbox format,

mbox format is no improvement... :-)

> its a better solution (But Sql Backend would be better),

I disagree, but Linux has that. There's at least one IMAP implementation
that uses a SQL backend. There'd be zero point to putting that into the
mail client.

> plus Kmail has has better filtering than Outlook, but not as
> good, compare to Eudora ( which can use multiply statements ) "if or and
> "..etc, on a single filter. ( one time, I used 9 statements on a single
> filter )

omigod! I can't do that??? I _do_ do that. However, in KMail you're
restricted to a mere 8 conditions and 8 actions per filter, so I guess
Eudora wins :-)
>
> Koffice, is coming around, but due to KDE 4, there still not there yet,
> as a unified Office product

I thought Koffice still sucked. Maybe I'll check again.

> Again, keep in mind, unified application's "That" are keeping up with the
> technologies of today, like: ajax ,flash web 2.0, ".net"..etc
> intergrated into Linux, that would get more people's attention, instead of
> eye candy.

See, you're making the same mistake somebody made last week when they asked
why KMail didn't do spam filtering. _Why_ should the applications
be "unified"? They should be _cooperative_. What you're asking for, KMail
can already do - at least to some extent, but storage solutions don't
belong in the client. So install a Postgres backed IMAP server, and that
part is dealt with. KMail uses various plugins - and klaxon is at least in
development. Already, I can sync Kontact with my yahoo calendar and
contacts, and partly with my google calendar and contacts. Some use it
with Exchange (not me, unfortunately - damned corporate IT won't enable
that).

btw, Ajax (at least) is _very_ far from a "unified" solution (and ime is
_mostly_ about eye candy).
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org