FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Thomas Blasejewicz
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

I have 10.04 installed on a note PC (hp nx9005).
The last 3-4 weeks I was struggling desperately to set up a wireless
connection (with the help of some very learned people off-list. The
details are too extensive to write down here).

The computer did work with a wired connection (still does).
Also, the FDD **DID** work so far.
After/while trying millions of things to make the wireless connection
work, I did the following:
* installed (via synaptic) "bcmwl-kernel-source" (some help article
said, this is necessary) and "ndiswrapper".
-> Floppy was still working.
* gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2800usb_cs
"Then save, reboot, and check your connection with iwconfig." (there
were TWO drivers and someone said, one needed to be deactivated
(blacklisted).
* Reboot.
* Fist: nm-icon does not show wireless connection
* Next: nom-icon starts blinking and then says:
"Wireless network: disconnected. You are now off-line"
* Next: nm-icon blinks some more -> then: "Connection established"
- (these last two steps are are repeated 2-3 times over a period of
several minutes)

BUT: Now the FDD is not recognized any longer.
Computer -> Floppy -> click: "Unable to mount location", No media in the
drive"
Wonderful!
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835?comments=all>
[Clicking on floppy gives "no device media found"]


* Uninstalled "ndiswrapper" (because I was told, I am not using it anyway)
-> no change (after reboot)
* Uninstalled "bcmwl-kernel-source"
-> no change (after reboot)
* Re-installed "bcmwl-kernel-source"
-> no change (after reboot)

* gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
-> deleted entries -> rebooted.
* Wireless connection NOT working any longer.
* NEITHER does the floppy work - I had hoped, that reversing the steps
might help.

* gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2800usb_cs
-> "Then save, reboot ..."
Now the wireless is working again (see above), but not the floppy.

I just don't get it (but then again, I am probably complaining too much,
as someone said earlier):
You get one function and loose another. Here the ability to read
floppies (even if floppies are considered as relicby some, but since ALL
my computers have the drives, I would like to be able to use them).
Floppies have been around since the dawn of time and I refuse to
believe, that using them is a highly sophisticated, complex task.
Throughout the 25 years of using computers, I never knew that there
actually **CAN** be problems with reading floppies.
I had these problems with OpenSUSE 10.3 and later 11.2. -> changed to
Ubuntu. In 9.04 FDD was working; in 9.10 NOT (officially recognized
bug). Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days ago and then stopped
being recognized, because I set up a wireless connection. Reversing the
last steps I took before the FD went dead had no effect.

Question: is there a sensible, reasonably intelligent way out of this
paranoid mess? Or do I have to choose: either FD or wireless?
(THAT appears really stupid to me)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 AM
NoOp
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

On 06/26/2010 10:54 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
...
> * gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> blacklist rt2800usb
> blacklist rt2800usb_cs
> -> "Then save, reboot ..."
> Now the wireless is working again (see above), but not the floppy.
>
> I just don't get it (but then again, I am probably complaining too much,
> as someone said earlier):
> You get one function and loose another. Here the ability to read
> floppies (even if floppies are considered as relicby some, but since ALL
> my computers have the drives, I would like to be able to use them).
> Floppies have been around since the dawn of time and I refuse to
> believe, that using them is a highly sophisticated, complex task.
> Throughout the 25 years of using computers, I never knew that there
> actually **CAN** be problems with reading floppies.
> I had these problems with OpenSUSE 10.3 and later 11.2. -> changed to
> Ubuntu. In 9.04 FDD was working; in 9.10 NOT (officially recognized
> bug). Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days ago and then stopped
> being recognized, because I set up a wireless connection. Reversing the
> last steps I took before the FD went dead had no effect.
>
> Question: is there a sensible, reasonably intelligent way out of this
> paranoid mess? Or do I have to choose: either FD or wireless?
> (THAT appears really stupid to me)

Thomas, I suspect that the wifi and floppy issues are not related.
Testing on my machines with no wifi whatsoever yields the same results:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835/comments/221>

I am interested in the "Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days
ago and then stopped being recognized, because I set up a wireless
connection." comment. I'm wondering if you also did some updates in the
past three days that may have caused/contributed to the issue. Can you
check in /var/log/apt/history.log ($ gedit /var/log/apt/history.log) and
perhaps post your last 5 days of date in pastebin
(http://paste.ubuntu.com/) and then post the url to the data?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Thomas Blasejewicz
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

NoOp さんは書きました:
> Thomas, I suspect that the wifi and floppy issues are not related.
> Testing on my machines with no wifi whatsoever yields the same results:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835/comments/221>
>
> I am interested in the "Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days
> ago and then stopped being recognized, because I set up a wireless
> connection." comment. I'm wondering if you also did some updates in the
> past three days that may have caused/contributed to the issue. Can you
> check in /var/log/apt/history.log ($ gedit /var/log/apt/history.log) and
> perhaps post your last 5 days of date in pastebin
> (http://paste.ubuntu.com/) and then post the url to the data?
>
I think I successfully pasted the requested data here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/456326/

There seems to be an "update" - which is one of those that are made
automatically and I just clicked on "YES" or so.
I am afraid, all the rest is way beyond my capabilities of comprehension ...

If that "update" were responsible for the bug, is there anything like
the "system restore" used in Windows, which allows you to return
the system to a date at which it definitely was working OK?

Or has there been otherwise published a solution to this bug?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM
NoOp
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

On 06/28/2010 03:53 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
>
> NoOp さんは書きました:
>> Thomas, I suspect that the wifi and floppy issues are not related.
>> Testing on my machines with no wifi whatsoever yields the same results:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835/comments/221>
>>
>> I am interested in the "Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days
>> ago and then stopped being recognized, because I set up a wireless
>> connection." comment. I'm wondering if you also did some updates in the
>> past three days that may have caused/contributed to the issue. Can you
>> check in /var/log/apt/history.log ($ gedit /var/log/apt/history.log) and
>> perhaps post your last 5 days of date in pastebin
>> (http://paste.ubuntu.com/) and then post the url to the data?
>>
> I think I successfully pasted the requested data here:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/456326/

You did thanks. And my guess is that this is the update that killed your
floppy (nothing to do with wireless):

Start-Date: 2010-06-26 01:59:17
Upgrade: udisks (1.0.1-1build1, 1.0.1-1ubuntu1)

* Published on 2010-06-15
Changelog
udisks (1.0.1-1ubuntu1) lucid-proposed; urgency=low
* Add 00git-fix-floppy-probing-hangs.patch: A lot of modern machines do
not have a floppy drive any more, but still have a floppy controller
somewhere (or at least the BIOS pretends to). Trying to open(/dev/fd0)
on these machines causes long hangs, which lead to long desktop startup
times.
To fix this, avoid probing floppies for media in update_info().
nautilus/gvfs do not expect the media state to be correct for floppies
anyway. (LP: #539515)

[...]
> If that "update" were responsible for the bug, is there anything like
> the "system restore" used in Windows, which allows you to return
> the system to a date at which it definitely was working OK?

It may be possible to back that udisks version down to the previous
(udisks (1.0.1-1build1)). I'll test today and see if it makes any
difference.

>
> Or has there been otherwise published a solution to this bug?
>

Not that I'm aware of. The fix for
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/539515?comments=all>
is (IMO) the one that broke the floppy. Note the comments from
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/539515/comments/123>
on down.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
NoOp
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

On 06/28/2010 12:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
...
>
> It may be possible to back that udisks version down to the previous
> (udisks (1.0.1-1build1)). I'll test today and see if it makes any
> difference.

Confirmed. I backed down to udisks (1.0.1-1build1) and now clicking on
Places|Floppy Disk mounts and reads the floppy w/o issues. I'll comment
on both 539515 and 456326.

For a temporary workaround, you can back down to udisks (1.0.1-1build1)
as well:

- open Synaptic, search for udisks, single click on 'udisks'. Then
select Package|Force Version|click the dropdown and select
'1.0.1-1build1 (lucid), and then click the 'Force Version' button.
- then click the 'Apply' button. That will reinstall udisks
(1.0.1-1build1).
- then go to Places|Floppy Disk and the floppy should properly mount.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Thomas Blasejewicz
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

NoOp さんは書きました:
> On 06/28/2010 12:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
> ...
>
> - open Synaptic, search for udisks, single click on 'udisks'. Then
> select Package|Force Version|click the dropdown and select
> '1.0.1-1build1 (lucid), and then click the 'Force Version' button.
> - then click the 'Apply' button. That will reinstall udisks
> (1.0.1-1build1).
> - then go to Places|Floppy Disk and the floppy should properly mount.
>
YES! That works.
Thank you!

Will I have to repeat this procedure in the future after each automatic update?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
NoOp
 
Default FD - wireless trouble

On 06/29/2010 09:55 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
> NoOp さんは書きました:
>> On 06/28/2010 12:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> ...
>>
>> - open Synaptic, search for udisks, single click on 'udisks'. Then
>> select Package|Force Version|click the dropdown and select
>> '1.0.1-1build1 (lucid), and then click the 'Force Version' button.
>> - then click the 'Apply' button. That will reinstall udisks
>> (1.0.1-1build1).
>> - then go to Places|Floppy Disk and the floppy should properly mount.
>>
> YES! That works.
> Thank you!
>
> Will I have to repeat this procedure in the future after each automatic update?
>
>

Perhaps. Depends on if they actually pay attention to the bug report
regression information and fix the bug properly. For the interim, you
can lock 1.0.1-1build1 (lucid); use the same as above, but instead of
'Force Version' (you've already done that), select Package|click 'Lock
Version'. That way it will pin/lock the version and won't prompt you to
update when you use update-manager.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org