-   -   Delayed opening of the 'Network' place in Nautilus. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/391181-delayed-opening-network-place-nautilus.html)

ceed 06-26-2010 01:02 PM

Delayed opening of the 'Network' place in Nautilus.

Hi,

I am using Avahi with sftp.ssh.service added to /etc/avahi/services to
enable discovery of ssh enabled computers on the network. They now show up
under the "Network" place in Nautilus and when I click the "Network
Servers" icon on the desktop. I do not have Samba installed at all since I
do not have any Windows computers around anymore. This works great except
for the fact than in Ubuntu 10.04 it takes about 40 seconds to 1 minute
after I click the "Network" icon or the "Network" place icon in Nautilus
before the window with the connected computers show up. There's no wait
dialog or pop-up explaining what's going on, it's just like nothing is
happening until the window suddenly comes up. In 9.04 it was only a few
seconds delay. This delay only happens the first time I open 'Network'.
After that it's pretty much instant. I never saw these delays when using
Samba. Any idea why it takes so long in 10.04? I have a feeling it has to
do with Nautilus or maybe gvfs since 'avahi-discover' shows the ssh
networked computers instantly.

--
//ceed