FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

yes, yes, i know, we've had this dicsussion before but i just
installed ubuntu 10.04 on a new laptop and, over five minutes ago, my
two firefox sessions suddenly went grey and unresponsive and i know
there was a simple solution in terms of deselecting a setting but i
can't remember what it is, and it's still a bit aggravating that it
happens in the first place -- that is, that firefox is suddenly
waiting on some event for, literally, minutes. weird.

rday

--

================================================== ======================
Robert P. J. Day Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Top-notch, inexpensive online Linux/OSS/kernel courses
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
================================================== ======================

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Hal Burgiss
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> *yes, yes, i know, we've had this dicsussion before but i just
> installed ubuntu 10.04 on a new laptop and, over five minutes ago, my
> two firefox sessions suddenly went grey and unresponsive and i know
> there was a simple solution in terms of deselecting a setting but i
> can't remember what it is, and it's still a bit aggravating that it
> happens in the first place -- that is, that firefox is suddenly
> waiting on some event for, literally, minutes. *weird.

I believe the setting to turn off the 'greyed out' visual queue stuff
is buried in Compiz somewhere.

The underlying cause is the FF is a very resource hungry application
and your system is not giving it the resources it needs to respond
"normally". Toggling that setting won't change that. Turning off
Compiz itself might help free up some resources (but never tried it).

--
Hal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Bill Liao
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:


On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>

> *yes, yes, i know, we've had this dicsussion before but i just

> installed ubuntu 10.04 on a new laptop and, over five minutes ago, my

> two firefox sessions suddenly went grey and unresponsive and i know

> there was a simple solution in terms of deselecting a setting but i

> can't remember what it is, and it's still a bit aggravating that it

> happens in the first place -- that is, that firefox is suddenly

> waiting on some event for, literally, minutes. *weird.



I believe the setting to turn off the 'greyed out' visual queue stuff

is buried in Compiz somewhere.

*He says it's unreponsive ,i think it's not the visual result of Compiz.



The underlying cause is the FF is a very resource hungry application

and your system is not giving it the resources it needs to respond

"normally". Toggling that setting won't change that. Turning off

Compiz itself might help free up some resources (but never tried it).

*

--

Hal



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


Can you tell us the cause of this unresponsive?
--
If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Colin Law
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

On 26 June 2010 10:45, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> *yes, yes, i know, we've had this dicsussion before but i just
> installed ubuntu 10.04 on a new laptop and, over five minutes ago, my
> two firefox sessions suddenly went grey and unresponsive and i know
> there was a simple solution in terms of deselecting a setting but i
> can't remember what it is, and it's still a bit aggravating that it
> happens in the first place -- that is, that firefox is suddenly
> waiting on some event for, literally, minutes. *weird.

The original thread is at
http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-users/2010-05/msg01576.html or
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-May/218498.html

I think the conclusion was that the system is running out of resources
(possibly RAM), but read through for other suggestions.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Markus Schönhaber
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

26.06.2010 15:39, Bill Liao:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:

>> I believe the setting to turn off the 'greyed out' visual queue stuff
>> is buried in Compiz somewhere.
>>
>
> He says it's unreponsive ,i think it's not the visual result of Compiz.

No, it's indeed not compiz causing this, it's just the other way round:
because FF has become unresponsive, compiz applies this visual effect to
the FF window.
And: turning off this visual effect doesn't make FF more responsive.
Therefore, 'greyed out' or not, the only important question is why FF
hangs in the first place.

--
Regards
mks

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Hal Burgiss
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Bill Liao <lwlw1988@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
>> wrote:
>> >
>
> He says it's unreponsive ,i think it's not the visual result of Compiz.

Doh. I think you didn't read the paragraph after that. Of course,
Compiz is not the root cause. The greying out is like the idiot light
on your car's dashboard that tells you that you are about to run out
of gas, which, as I recall, makes Compiz like the idiot light. If you
don't want the idiot light, turn of the relevant Compiz setting (at
least I seem to remember that being the solution to that). And of
course, that isn't going to solve the underlying issue(s).

I've seen a bunch of this. In my case it was probably a combination of
low memory, and poorly written X.org stuff. It tends to effect FF more
than other apps, but I've seen it in openoffice too, and others.

The "greying" may last a second or two, or it may last many minutes
(in my case), depending on how depleted the system resources are.
Restarting X (or rebooting), usually gave me some extra life.
Troubleshooting the root cause, would mean knowing what the hardware
specs are, what processes are running and what resources they are
using, how much free memory there is etc.

I went from 1G or ram to 4, and went from Intel video to nividia, and
my similar problems completely disappeared. Forever. I also use Chrome
now, which is significantly less resource hungry. And XFCE, for
similar reasons.

--
Hal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Jonesy
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:09:02 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 26.06.2010 15:39, Bill Liao:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:
>
>>> I believe the setting to turn off the 'greyed out' visual queue stuff
>>> is buried in Compiz somewhere.
>>>
>>
>> He says it's unreponsive ,i think it's not the visual result of Compiz.
>
> No, it's indeed not compiz causing this, it's just the other way round:
> because FF has become unresponsive, compiz applies this visual effect to
> the FF window.
> And: turning off this visual effect doesn't make FF more responsive.
> Therefore, 'greyed out' or not, the only important question is why FF
> hangs in the first place.

Could it be the "IPv6 versus IPv4 thingy" -- still?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 AM
Pat Brown
 
Default refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

Doh. I think you didn't read the paragraph after that. Of course,

Compiz is not the root cause. The greying out is like the idiot light

on your car's dashboard that tells you that you are about to run out

of gas, which, as I recall, makes Compiz like the idiot light. If you

don't want the idiot light, turn of the relevant Compiz setting (at

least I seem to remember that being the solution to that). And of

course, that isn't going to solve the underlying issue(s).



I've seen a bunch of this. In my case it was probably a combination of

low memory, and poorly written X.org stuff. It tends to effect FF more

than other apps, but I've seen it in openoffice too, and others.



The "greying" may last a second or two, or it may last many minutes

(in my case), depending on how depleted the system resources are.

Restarting X (or rebooting), usually gave me some extra life.

Troubleshooting the root cause, would mean knowing what the hardware

specs are, what processes are running and what resources they are

using, how much free memory there is etc.



I went from 1G or ram to 4, and went from Intel video to nividia, and

my similar problems completely disappeared. Forever. I also use Chrome

now, which is significantly less resource hungry. And XFCE, for

similar reasons.



--

Hal



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


I installed Chrome after this discussion and while I've only been running it for a few days, I have to say I notice a huge difference. My laptop hasn't grayed out at all and I've even run not only OO, but gedit, and Banshee while having several web pages open. I could never do that before with Firefox. I'm a convert.

Pat Brown

http://www.pabrown.ca
Award winning author of the L.A. crime novels.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org