Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
rbv

Default Brasero wiped out all my files

Gentleman

i was trying to burn a DVD, using Brasero. when it said it will delete
old list or something, in order to load a new project, i clicked ok.

Now i find all my stored files, some 24 GBs of them all gone. Moreover,
Firefox loads as new, all bookmarks gone.

few applications i tried they started as if for the first time.

Trash indicates it has four items, but i am not able to empty it.

I find four disks at the bottm of the toolbar. i tried clicking them.
but nothing happens, trash remains

Internet has slowed

I am not a technical man. I go by pure tutorials and manuals.

Now what could have happened.

Please help me step by step.

Thank you

regards

rajaraman bv

Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Larry

On 06/25/2010 02:00 PM, rbv wrote:
> Gentleman
>
> i was trying to burn a DVD, using Brasero. when it said it will delete
> old list or something, in order to load a new project, i clicked ok.
>
> Now i find all my stored files, some 24 GBs of them all gone.
> Moreover, Firefox loads as new, all bookmarks gone.
>
> few applications i tried they started as if for the first time.
>
> Trash indicates it has four items, but i am not able to empty it.
>
> I find four disks at the bottm of the toolbar. i tried clicking them.
> but nothing happens, trash remains
>
> Internet has slowed
>
> I am not a technical man. I go by pure tutorials and manuals.
>
> Now what could have happened.
>
> Please help me step by step.
>
> Thank you
>
> regards
>
> rajaraman bv

*I would suggest to use K3B for all of your burning CD's or
DVD's...There must be a quirk in what ever you did using Brasero, you
are the first person who have ever mentioned anything like that at all...

So like I said please try K3B and you will have no-problems what so ever...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimaye Edition 2.6

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
rbv

On Saturday 26 June 2010 01:00 AM, Larry wrote:

[...]

Thank you gentleman

I will use K3B in future.

I had K3B installed, but funny now it is not in the installed list. A
lot of other applications are also missing from the installed list.

Firefox has become brand new, all the bookmarks, add ons are all
missing,

Trash shows it has contents, but i am not able to empty it.

It seems all of them, the stored files etc. been deleted.

Is it possible to format my hard disk and load a new Ubuntu.

Please help me, as this machine has become suddenly very slow, dvd
drive, which was smooth earliar, now has become jerky and halting, when
playing.

Thank you

Regards

rajaramanbv

Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
NoOp

On 06/25/2010 12:00 PM, rbv wrote:
> Gentleman
>
> i was trying to burn a DVD, using Brasero. when it said it will delete
> old list or something, in order to load a new project, i clicked ok.
>
> Now i find all my stored files, some 24 GBs of them all gone. Moreover,
> Firefox loads as new, all bookmarks gone.
>
> few applications i tried they started as if for the first time.
>
> Trash indicates it has four items, but i am not able to empty it.
>
> I find four disks at the bottm of the toolbar. i tried clicking them.
> but nothing happens, trash remains
>
> Internet has slowed

Something doesn't make sense here. Brasero should not have deleted your
files & in testing I can't reproduce. Nor can I find any related bugs in
launchpad reporting a similar issue.

Even deleting files from the current project states:

<quote>
Do you really want to empty the current project?

Emptying a project will remove all files already added. All the work
will be lost. Note that files will not be deleted from their own
location, just no longer listed here.
</quote>

So, are you _sure_ that the 24Gb of files that you are missing are
really missing? Please open Nautilus (Places|Home) and see if the
files/folders are actually still there. Also, it's helpful if you
provided more details on: 1) where the files were, and 2) how you
accessed them previously.

Regarding your trash folder; what specific files are you referring to?
Are they related to the files that you were accessing in Brasero?
Regardless, you can restore the files to their original location by
double-clicking the trash bin (or right-clicking & selecting 'Open
Trash'. The single-click on a file in the bin and select 'Edit|Restore'
and that will restore the file to it's original location.

No clue what the "four disks at the bottm of the toolbar" are. Can you
detail further? Also please advise what version of Ubuntu you are using
and which desktop (KDE or Gnome, etc).

Old 06-26-2010, 04:30 PM
rbv

On Saturday 26 June 2010 04:37 AM, NoOp wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your reply.

Gnome* 2.30.0

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid

Ubuntu, i upgraded online, from an earlier version.

Next to Trash, in semi opaque there are four small squares, when i
place my mouse over them , each square identifies as disk 1, disk 2 and
so on. When i click on any of them the present desktop disappears a
blank one appears.

When i place my mouse over Trash, it shows there are items. When i open
it , it is empty already, nothing to empty manually. But it still shows
items inside.

My desktop picture gone, a black blue screen now.

Firefox was running at that time.* after the incident, Firefox lost all
the book marks, add ons,. Now it is running in a laboured way, earliar
it was smooth.

The machine was upto date, using update manager

After incident, when i restared the machine, it said DVD apt is not
found , it downloaded and installed.

I had installed Cromiam broswer also. it went missing, and the update
manager re installed it.

I searched the machine as you adviced, and did not find the files or
folders.

I had my folders saved in all places, documents, videos, music,
desktop, pictures. They are all now empty.

I have a compact 80 GB, Hitachi harddisk. But not able to see any
volume change, so it may be possible that all of them are I am afraid
to use disk utility in the System, moreover it says no onlone
capability fsck tool and it is mounted, when i click check repair file
system.

Earlier i was using DeVeDe , and made a few dvds.*

It is exactly as you have quoted in your message, it came in Brassaro.*
This is the very first time I tried Brassaro. Since there was NO
earlier project, i thought some cache it was clearing.

Almost all the installed applications, VLC, Thunder Bird, are all
started as if first time.

I am not a tech. one. I would provide any other information required to
solve this problem.

If worse comes to worst, if it is surmised that i have somehow lost all
stored data, i can reformat the machine and start from the begining. I
have a Ubuntu ISO DVD, i made, Using it how to reinstall it new.

Your help, i am awaiting,

Thanking you with regards

rajaramanbv

Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Henry Dubb

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM, rbv <rajaramanbv@gmail.com> wrote:

When i place my mouse over Trash, it shows there are items. When i open
it , it is empty already, nothing to empty manually. But it still shows
items inside.

Go to the trash folder and ctrl h. Does anything show up.*

My desktop picture gone, a black blue screen now.

Firefox was running at that time.* after the incident, Firefox lost all
the book marks, add ons,. Now it is running in a laboured way, earliar
it was smooth.
*If it deleted home this would make sense. My guess is its in trash but hidden.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
rbv

wrote:

When i place my mouse over Trash, it shows there are items. When i open
it , it is empty already, nothing to empty manually. But it still shows
items inside.

Go to the trash folder and ctrl h. Does anything show up.*

My desktop picture gone, a black blue screen now.

Firefox was running at that time.* after the incident, Firefox lost all
the book marks, add ons,. Now it is running in a laboured way, earliar
it was smooth.

*
If it deleted home this would make sense. My guess is its in
trash but hidden.

Just before i received your mail, i got an application BleachBit, from
ubuntu software centre, and there was a provision for cleaning trash in
it. I used it and it cleaned out the trash. Now it shows empty. But
four disk squares remain next to trash.

You are right, it Brasero was showing the my home folder and branched
out covering all.* Since i have not used Brasero before, there was not
previous project, so i thought it was a formality.

Thanking you

rajaramanbv

Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Colin Law

On 26 June 2010 19:20, rbv <rajaramanbv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 June 2010 11:14 PM, Henry Dubb wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM, rbv <rajaramanbv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When i place my mouse over Trash, it shows there are items. When i open it
>> , it is empty already, nothing to empty manually. But it still shows items
>> inside.
>
> Go to the trash folder and ctrl h. Does anything show up.
>>
>> My desktop picture gone, a black blue screen now.
>>
>> Firefox was running at that time.* after the incident, Firefox lost all
>> the book marks, add ons,. Now it is running in a laboured way, earliar it
>> was smooth.
>

> If it deleted home this would make sense. My guess is its in trash but
> hidden.
>
> Just before i received your mail, i got an application BleachBit, from
> ubuntu software centre, and there was a provision for cleaning trash in it.
> I used it and it cleaned out the trash.

I am not sure why you have been so keen on emptying the trash, which
might have contained the data you lost (though hidden).

> Now it shows empty. But four disk
> squares remain next to trash.

Those are desks (ie desktops) not disks. Ubuntu allows multiple desktops.