Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Daniel Ram

Default Installation Doubts by Beginner

Hi all!

I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
command, the system ask me to use alien.

How can I use alien? I've installed it, but I'm not sure what it is..
;-( .. yet! ... The same for Debian (Is Debian a project, isn't?)

P.S.: I have no root password. I put danielram as Administrator, but
I'm not sure if it is already running as Administrator.

How can I check it? Do I need system restart? Or how can I use sudo
like a super user?

See below the message after I've tried rpm command (in red):

danielram@danielram-laptop:~$ ls

CEGO********* examples.desktop************ My GCompris* TestCego

Desktop****** jre-6u20-linux-i586.rpm***** Pictures**** Ubuntu One

Documents**** jre-6u20-linux-i586-rpm.bin* Public****** Videos

electric.log* Music*********************** Templates

danielram@danielram-laptop:~$

danielram@danielram-laptop:~$ rpm -iv
jre-6u20-linux-i586

rpm: please use alien to install rpm packages on Debian, if you are
really sure use --force-debian switch. See README.Debian for more
details.

danielram@danielram-laptop:~$

Many thanks in advanced,

Cheers,

Daniel Mesquita de Araujo *** Little Blind *** Brazil *** Sao Paulo

Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Steve Grace

On 06/24/2010 04:57 PM, Daniel Ram wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
> command, the system ask me to use alien.
> How can I use alien? I've installed it, but I'm not sure what it is..
> ;-( .. yet! ... The same for Debian (Is Debian a project, isn't?)
>
> P.S.: I have no root password. I put danielram as Administrator, but I'm
> not sure if it is already running as Administrator.
> How can I check it? Do I need system restart? Or how can I use sudo like
> a super user?
>
> See below the message after I've tried rpm command (in red):
>
> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$ ls
> CEGO examples.desktop My GCompris TestCego
> Desktop jre-6u20-linux-i586.rpm Pictures Ubuntu One
> Documents jre-6u20-linux-i586-rpm.bin Public Videos
> electric.log Music Templates
> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$
>
> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$ rpm -iv jre-6u20-linux-i586
> rpm: please use alien to install rpm packages on Debian, if you are
> really sure use --force-debian switch. See README.Debian for more details.
> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$

Daniel:

"rpm" format is used by Red Hat, I believe. Ubuntu and Debian software
is packaged into "deb" format. "alien" is used to convert "rpm" to "deb"
but that probably isn't the right approach in this case.

Rather than try to convert the "rpm" version, I'm pretty sure you can
get what you want directly from the Ubuntu repositories. However, I
don't use Java, so someone else will need to tell you what package(s) to
install.

Steve

Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Daniel Ram

On 06/24/2010 09:04 PM, Steve Grace wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 04:57 PM, Daniel Ram wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
>> command, the system ask me to use alien.
>> How can I use alien? I've installed it, but I'm not sure what it is..
>> ;-( .. yet! ... The same for Debian (Is Debian a project, isn't?)
>>
>> P.S.: I have no root password. I put danielram as Administrator, but I'm
>> not sure if it is already running as Administrator.
>> How can I check it? Do I need system restart? Or how can I use sudo like
>> a super user?
>>
>> See below the message after I've tried rpm command (in red):
>>
>> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$ ls
>> CEGO examples.desktop My GCompris TestCego
>> Desktop jre-6u20-linux-i586.rpm Pictures Ubuntu One
>> Documents jre-6u20-linux-i586-rpm.bin Public Videos
>> electric.log Music Templates
>> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$
>>
>> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$ rpm -iv jre-6u20-linux-i586
>> rpm: please use alien to install rpm packages on Debian, if you are
>> really sure use --force-debian switch. See README.Debian for more details.
>> danielram@danielram-laptop:~$
>>
> Daniel:
>
> "rpm" format is used by Red Hat, I believe. Ubuntu and Debian software
> is packaged into "deb" format. "alien" is used to convert "rpm" to "deb"
> but that probably isn't the right approach in this case.
>
> Rather than try to convert the "rpm" version, I'm pretty sure you can
> get what you want directly from the Ubuntu repositories. However, I
> don't use Java, so someone else will need to tell you what package(s) to
> install.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve!
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, so I need to run alien.
How could I run it?

As you see, I already have the .rpm file. >>

jre-6u20-linux-i586.rpm

And, What means Ubuntu repositories?

Thank you.
Daniel

Old 06-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

Ubuntu doesn't use rpms, it uses .deb files and aptitude and apt-get
as well as dpkg.
If you need rpms, you should change distros.

~SpaceGhost

Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 AM
K V

Daniel,
You should not use RPMs in a DEB based system.. Unless you are an expert and there is NO other way to get something, ALWAYS use .debs.* Use Synaptic:
System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager and you can search for Java.. HOWEVER

Java, i.e. a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is already installed and more than likely all you will need.*
If you simply MUST install a separate java engine, just google java .debs and go from there.

To answer root questions:

You should never log in or work as root on a regular basis.* There is a way to do it, but I will leave that as a learning experience, because its not too challenging.* To run as root, if you are working in the GUI, you will be prompted for your password.. That is the system 'running as root' with your permission.* So, yes, you are root, but only when you need to be, grok?

Root has no password so no one can log in as root because the default behavior of all Debian based systems is to disallow remote login without a password.* A very simple but effective safety precaution.

Peace,

Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Pete Vander Giessen

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Daniel Ram <danielmesquitadearaujo@yahoo.com.br>
> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
> command, the system ask me to use alien.

Hi Daniel,

Here's the "Ubuntu Way" to install the Java 6 Runtime Environment:

1) Open the Ubuntu Software Center (Applications -> Software Center)
2) Search for "sun-java6-jre"
3) Click on the first entry (should say "Sun Java(TM) Runtime
Environment (JRE) 6 ...)
4) Click "Install"

Alternately, type "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre" in a terminal.

The Software Center, and commands like apt-get talk to the Ubuntu
"software repositories", which are basically just central places for
storing software in packages that have been configured to work well
with Ubuntu. In general, you want to use them to install stuff,
because they make your life a lot easier.

If you ever absolutely need to install a .rpm file, install "alien"
first (just do a search for "alien" in the Software Center -- the
package you want should be the first one on the list).

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde

Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 AM
NoOp

On 06/24/2010 04:57 PM, Daniel Ram wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
> command, the system ask me to use alien.
> How can I use alien? I've installed it, but I'm not sure what it is..
> ;-( .. yet! ... The same for Debian (Is Debian a project, isn't?)

I think you'll find these helpful. Please bookmark them & read/refer to
them when you need help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions

No, I'm not stating RTFM/RTM, I'm simply providing you with links that
you should review & keep handy when you encounter a situation like this.
Admittedly some of the pages are outdated, but https://help.ubuntu.com/
is your friend (that along with your favorate search engine using
'ubuntu +<whateverissueyou'relookingfor> & you can also use the
searchbar in https://help.ubuntu.com/ in the same way that you use
Google (it's a Google search engine on the pages).

Here are a few more links that you might find helpful:
http://ubuntu-manual.org/
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

Regarding installing Java; it depends upon which java you wish to
install & what you intend to use it for. It appears that you are
attempting to install the standard sun (now Oracle) java, so I'd follow
Pete's advise and just use the 'Software Center' method that he's
provided. If you have problems with that, then post back & we'll try to
help further.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Pete Vander Giessen <petevg@gmail.com> :
>> I'm trying to install Java in my computer
>2) Search for "sun-java6-jre"

"openjdk", man...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Calcpage

On Jun 24, 2010, at 11:02 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 06/24/2010 04:57 PM, Daniel Ram wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run
>> "rpm"
>> command, the system ask me to use alien.
>> How can I use alien? I've installed it, but I'm not sure what it is..
>> ;-( .. yet! ... The same for Debian (Is Debian a project, isn't?)
>
> I think you'll find these helpful. Please bookmark them & read/refer
> them when you need help:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions
>
> No, I'm not stating RTFM/RTM, I'm simply providing you with links that
> you should review & keep handy when you encounter a situation like
> this.
> Admittedly some of the pages are outdated, but https://
> help.ubuntu.com/
> is your friend (that along with your favorate search engine using
> 'ubuntu +<whateverissueyou'relookingfor> & you can also use the
> searchbar in https://help.ubuntu.com/ in the same way that you use
> Google (it's a Google search engine on the pages).
>
> Here are a few more links that you might find helpful:
> http://ubuntu-manual.org/
> http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
> http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html
>
> Regarding installing Java; it depends upon which java you wish to
> install & what you intend to use it for. It appears that you are
> attempting to install the standard sun (now Oracle) java, so I'd
> follow
> Pete's advise and just use the 'Software Center' method that he's
> provided. If you have problems with that, then post back & we'll try
> help further.

I ran into problems installing jre as a plugin for firefox using
"Pete's Method."

Take a look at my blog where I detail what worked for me (3 different
methods) in my latest post.

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
Sent from my iPod

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Liam Proven

On 25 June 2010 00:57, Daniel Ram <danielmesquitadearaujo@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
> command, the system ask me to use alien.

RPM is the Red Hat command. It doesn't work on Debian-based distros
such as Ubuntu.

You use "apt-get install" instead.

To install the Java VM on 10.04, type:

sudo apt-get install iceadtea6-plugin