Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Jesse Palser

Default Easy Way To Upgrade Kernel ?

Easy Way To Upgrade Kernel ?

Hi,

Can someone tell me or provide a link to
an easy method to upgrade the kernel
on my Ubuntu 10.04 Linux 32bit Operating System?

I need to upgrade the kernel to the current Release Candidate
as it provides better support for the 3g modem in my netbook.

Currently running the default Kernel Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
and wish to install newest "v2.6.35-rc3-maverick".

Also is it safe to do this on a computer I use everyday?
And what will happen when the next official kernel is released?
(will v2.6.35-rc3-maverick kernel be replaced by an older official one?)

Thanks!

Jesse

Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Liam Proven

On 24 June 2010 22:40, Jesse Palser <slnthero@aol.com> wrote:
> Easy Way To Upgrade Kernel ?
>

> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me or provide a link to
> an easy method to upgrade the kernel
> on my Ubuntu 10.04 Linux 32bit Operating System?
>
> I need to upgrade the kernel to the current Release Candidate
> as it provides better support for the 3g modem in my netbook.
>
> Currently running the default Kernel Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
> and wish to install newest "v2.6.35-rc3-maverick".
>
> Also is it safe to do this on a computer I use everyday?
> And what will happen when the next official kernel is released?
> (will v2.6.35-rc3-maverick kernel be replaced by an older official one?)

This is not a direct answer but may be helpful.

I have not done this in some years - probably since Ubuntu 5.x or 6.x
- but when I needed a newer kernel, I just downloaded the sources from
kernel.org and built my own. This was pretty straightforward - there
are TONS of HOWTOs out there, doing this used to be a routine task on
Linux in the 1990s - and it worked fine.

I think that would be easier than trying to install just 1 package
from a different release of the distro.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2010 22:40, Jesse Palser <slnthero@aol.com> wrote:
>> Easy Way To Upgrade Kernel ?
>>
>> Can someone tell me or provide a link to
>> an easy method to upgrade the kernel
>> on my Ubuntu 10.04 Linux 32bit Operating System?
>>
>> I need to upgrade the kernel to the current Release Candidate
>> as it provides better support for the 3g modem in my netbook.
>>
>> Currently running the default Kernel Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
>> and wish to install newest "v2.6.35-rc3-maverick".
>>
>> Also is it safe to do this on a computer I use everyday?
>> And what will happen when the next official kernel is released?
>> (will v2.6.35-rc3-maverick kernel be replaced by an older official one?)
>
> This is not a direct answer but may be helpful.
>
> I have not done this in some years - probably since Ubuntu 5.x or 6.x
> - but when I needed a newer kernel, I just downloaded the sources from
> kernel.org and built my own. This was pretty straightforward - there
> are TONS of HOWTOs out there, doing this used to be a routine task on
> Linux in the 1990s - and it worked fine.
>
> I think that would be easier than trying to install just 1 package
> from a different release of the distro.

Installing one package would definitely be simpler!

Either by downloading the desired deb from your preferred repository
from "ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/" and running "dpkg --install ....deb"
or by using apt-pinning where you would set the three lucid targets at
800 and maverick at -1 and running "aptitude install --target-release
maverick linux-image linux-image-generic"

Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM
CA G Rajesh

Hi Jesse,
Please subscribe to suraia's ppa ....