Old 06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Liam Proven

Default Can't shutdown or logout

Anyone met this one?

My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
with that.)

The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.

Any pointers at where to look for more info? Does the GNOME shell log
stuff like this anywhere I can look at?

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 06-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Colin Law

On 24 June 2010 17:37, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone met this one?
>
> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
> with that.)
>
> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>
> Any pointers at where to look for more info? Does the GNOME shell log
> stuff like this anywhere I can look at?

It won't necessarily help get the normal shutdown working, but if you
open a terminal you can force a shutdown by
sudo shutdown -h now

Colin

Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 PM
user1

Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Henry Dubb

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:37:16 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> Anyone met this one?

> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its

> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu 10.04.

> Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live with that.)

> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or shut

> down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
*Had this problem when 10.04 first came out, but updates in Mint 9 took care of it. I noticed that lock screen would*allow*me to shut down, reboot etc.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Li Li

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 17:37 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> Anyone met this one?
>
> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
> with that.)
>
> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.

I see the same thing with Mint 9, and since I'm frequently re-booting to
play around with the Maverick alpha, it's annoying. I don't see
anything with top or htop that could be holding the session open either.

Another Mint annoyance: they don't run a listserv, only a forum (hate
hate hate them!). Have you asked there? If not, I'll get one of my
mates who has more tolerance for HTML stupidity to ask for us both.

Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions
Linux 2.6.35-5-generic "Ubuntu maverick (development branch)" Gnome
2.30.2

Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Liam Proven

On 24 June 2010 18:21, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2010 17:37, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone met this one?
>>
>> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
>> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
>> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
>> with that.)
>>
>> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
>> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>>
>> Any pointers at where to look for more info? Does the GNOME shell log
>> stuff like this anywhere I can look at?
>
> It won't necessarily help get the normal shutdown working, but if you
> open a terminal you can force a shutdown by
> sudo shutdown -h now

Thanks for that. I did think of that one, actually, although what I've
actually been doing is either using Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc to kill the X
server then shutting down from the login screen (which works) or
flipping to a Vconsole with Ctrl-Alt-2 and hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del.

But it does mean that sometimes I'm getting the message on bootup
about needing to do a disk check, which is a bit irritating.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Liam Proven

On 25 June 2010 00:49, Li Li <li2005lilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 17:37 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Anyone met this one?
>>
>> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
>> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
>> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
>> with that.)
>>
>> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
>> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>
> I see the same thing with Mint 9, and since I'm frequently re-booting to
> play around with the Maverick alpha, it's annoying. *I don't see
> anything with top or htop that could be holding the session open either.
>
> Another Mint annoyance: they don't run a listserv, only a forum (hate
> hate hate them!). *Have you asked there? *If not, I'll get one of my
> mates who has more tolerance for HTML stupidity to ask for us both.

Strongly agree. I don't like webfora myself. No, I've not asked; I might do.

TBH I am considering reverting to vanilla Ubuntu. I use Mint on
another project so I tend to run it on my laptop, but as I'm using my
laptop for a work project ATM, I'd kinda rather be running the more
"mainstream" OS.

I'm also waiting for the new Crunchbang to go final. Debian is quicker
than *buntu on this machine, but life is too short to get all my
hardware etc. working in raw Debian. Crunchbang was fun but not
noticeably quicker than Ubuntu 9/Mint 7. I will give the new
Debian-based #! a look, though, when it's final.

Another weird gotcha is that despite my elderly AMD Radeon Mobility
graphics chipset with just 16MB of VRAM, on Lucid, Compiz worked
fairly well and I could use the Netbook Remix launcher, which works
well on my internal 1024×768 screen. The screen fonts in the launcher
were the wrong colour - I've filed a bug which many people have now
also reported - but it worked.

But on Isadora, I only get the option of Netbook 2D, which does not
work so well.

Either way, suspend/resume, which finally started working in 9.10, has
completely failed in *buntu 10, which is a PITA. Thus far, the
improved boot/shutdown time is worth it...

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Liam Proven

On 24 June 2010 18:35, Henry Dubb <henry.dubb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:37:16 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone met this one?
>> >
>> > My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
>> > internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu 10.04.
>> > Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live with that.)
>> >
>> > The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or shut
>> > down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>

> Had this problem when 10.04 first came out, but updates in Mint 9 took care
> of it. I noticed that lock screen would*allow*me to shut down, reboot etc.

A different glitch has got me there. I am running dual monitors on my
Thinkpad X31 - builtin 1024×768 + external 1280×1024. I have had to
drop down to 16-bit colour to do this, which was an hour or so's
exercise in itself.

But now, the dialog on the lock screen is invisible. This threw me at
first, but I've found it *is* still there - I can type my password
"blind" and it works - but not even a shadow is visible. There is a
weird flickering shimmy if I type the wrong password, though. A bit
like a Predator stealth suit in the movies. :-)

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Jon Cosby

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:37:16 +0100, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone met this one?

> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its

> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu

> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live

> with that.)

> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or

> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.

> Any pointers at where to look for more info? Does the GNOME shell log

> stuff like this anywhere I can look at?

Is there a solution for this yet? I don't want to shut down the computer

at the end of each session, but the only choices I have are that (via

terminal) or suspend.

Jon

Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Liam Proven

On 29 June 2010 22:47, Jon Cosby <jon@jcosby.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:37:16 +0100, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone met this one?
>

>> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
>
>> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
>
>> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
>
>> with that.)
>

>> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
>
>> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>

>> Any pointers at where to look for more info? Does the GNOME shell log
>
>> stuff like this anywhere I can look at?
>

> Is there a solution for this yet? I don't want to shut down the computer
>
> at the end of each session, but the only choices I have are that (via
>
> terminal) or suspend.

Not yet. It worked fine the 1st time I used it /without/ the external
screen connected.

I am toying with trying Lubuntu or Crunchbang on it instead & seeing
how I get on...

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508