Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 AM
ning luwen

Default help to mount remote ubuntu filesystem

hi,
I have tried to mount a remote ubuntu filesystem. Just follow this
http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/11/03/how-to-mount-a-remote-filesystem-in-ubuntu/
, I found it is ok to mount.
I wander how can I do the same thing in the Terminal.
I have tried use command : "sudo mount me@remote_ip:remote_folder
local_folder" or "sudo mount -t nft me@remote_ip:remote_folder
local_folder", but this didn't work.

regards,
luwening

Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:05 PM, ning luwen <ningluwen@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> *I have tried to mount a remote ubuntu filesystem. Just follow this
> http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/11/03/how-to-mount-a-remote-filesystem-in-ubuntu/
> , I found it is ok to mount.
> *I wander how can I do the same thing in the Terminal.

Install sshfs and read the man page.

--
Hal

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 24 June 2010 03:05, ning luwen <ningluwen@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> *I have tried to mount a remote ubuntu filesystem. Just follow this
> http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/11/03/how-to-mount-a-remote-filesystem-in-ubuntu/
> , I found it is ok to mount.
> *I wander how can I do the same thing in the Terminal.
> *I have tried use command : "sudo mount me@remote_ip:remote_folder
> local_folder" or "sudo mount -t nft me@remote_ip:remote_folder
> local_folder", but this didn't work.
I think you wanted to type "-t nfs" there. This requires an NFS server
running on the remote server.
On the other hand, using sshfs would be a better idea.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
ning luwen

there is really necessary to install another software ? why use the
graphic tool can mount the remote filesystem?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Florian Diesch

ning luwen <ningluwen@gmail.com> writes:

> I have tried to mount a remote ubuntu filesystem. Just follow this
> http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/11/03/how-to-mount-a-remote-filesystem-in-ubuntu/
> , I found it is ok to mount.
> I wander how can I do the same thing in the Terminal.
> I have tried use command : "sudo mount me@remote_ip:remote_folder
> local_folder" or "sudo mount -t nft me@remote_ip:remote_folder
> local_folder", but this didn't work.

Mount can't do that for ftp or ssh. Either install a FUSE based file
system like curlftpfs or use the GVFS command line utilities, e.g.

gvfs-mount ftp://ftp.example.com

That does exactly the same as mounting that server from the GUI. It
gets mounted somewhere under ~/.gvfs/

Florian
-- Rich Kulawiec

Old 06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
K V

If you have sshd installed on the remote system just do the following from your client terminal:
sudo apt-get install sshfs
mkdir /home/localuserid/some/mountpoint
sshfs <remoteuserid>@<your_remote_IPaddy>:/some/directory /home/localuserid/some/mountpoint

simple as that.. with one caveat;
you have to have a rule forwarding port 22 to your destination machine if that machine is on a home network and has an IP that starts with 10 or 192.* Refer to your router documentation on how to set up port forwarding on your router, or you can just hack around the interface until you find it, usually pretty straightforward once you see it.

Currently I can watch all of my movies from pretty much anywhere I have my laptop and a decent pipe.* Pretty cool actually.
Peace,

Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
K V

Oh, and you need to know the IP of your 'gateway' or router from your ISP.. again, refer to the manual for your router.