Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Ashley Benton

Default Security concern

Hi,
I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it. The hard drive seemed to *be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.*The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My question is why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard drive do something
(download files on the computer, install something or download files from the computer...)I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log and didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.*
Thanks
Meg

Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 PM
chris

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:30 -0700, Ashley Benton wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it.
> The hard drive seemed to be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.
> The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My
> question is why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard
> drive do something
> (download files on the computer, install something or download files
> from the computer...)
> I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log
> and didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.
> Thanks
>

> Meg

Install the ntfs programs from the repositories. These are needed to
allow access to fat systems

Cheers the kiwi

Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Ashley Benton

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM, chris <chevhq@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:30 -0700, Ashley Benton wrote:

> Hi,

> I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it.

> The hard drive seemed to *be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.

> The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My

> question is why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard

> drive do something

> (download files on the computer, install something or download files

> from the computer...)

> I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log

> and didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.

> Thanks

> Meg

Install the ntfs programs from the repositories. *These are needed to

allow access to fat systems

Cheers the kiwi

I'll do when it will be back on internet.*Thanks
Meg*

Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 AM
chris

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 17:02 -0700, Ashley Benton wrote:

<snip>

> Meg

your welcome
the kiwi

Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Bill Liao

fat32 seems not to be the prob

2010/6/24, chris <chevhq@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:30 -0700, Ashley Benton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it.
>> The hard drive seemed to be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.
>> The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My
>> question is why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard
>> drive do something
>> (download files on the computer, install something or download files
>> from the computer...)
>> I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log
>> and didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.
>> Thanks
>>

>> Meg
>
> Install the ntfs programs from the repositories. These are needed to
> allow access to fat systems
>
> Cheers the kiwi

从我的移动设备发送

If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 AM
NoOp

On 06/23/2010 04:30 PM, Ashley Benton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it. The
> hard drive seemed to be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.
> The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My question is
> why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard drive do something
> (download files on the computer, install something or download files from
> the computer...)
> I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log and
> didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.
Why would you expect this to be a security concern?

Have you checked in gparted, lshw or similar to see if the drive is
available? Did you mention how the external drive is connected (usb,
etc)? Come on Meg, you've been around Ubuntu/linux long enough to check
the obvious first.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Ashley Benton

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 06/23/2010 04:30 PM, Ashley Benton wrote:

> Hi,

> I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it. The

> hard drive seemed to *be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.

> The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My question is

> why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard drive do something

> (download files on the computer, install something or download files from

> the computer...)

> I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log and

> didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.

Why would you expect this to be a security concern?
*That is certainly nothing but it made me wonder what I missed. Security concern because I am wondering if the drive was actually working without my knowledge or why it didn't work.

Have you checked in gparted, lshw or similar to see if the drive is

available? Did you mention how the external drive is connected (usb,

etc)? Come on Meg, you've been around Ubuntu/linux long enough to check

the obvious first.

*Sorry I didn't try gparted or lshw or similar. The drive was plugged by usb for about 2 minutes, I tried to watch in media and my computer when it didn't appear by itself. I checked the logs after but there is no entry about it. I didn't know the person and couldn't take too much time looking at why so to simplify we used a usb key which worked without trouble.
I'll try gparted and lshw next time it happens. Thanks for the answer
Meg**

Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 AM
NoOp

On 06/23/2010 07:33 PM, Ashley Benton wrote:
> Sorry I didn't try gparted or lshw or similar. The drive was plugged by usb
> for about 2 minutes, I tried to watch in media and my computer when it
> didn't appear by itself. I checked the logs after but there is no entry
> about it. I didn't know the person and couldn't take too much time looking
> at why so to simplify we used a usb key which worked without trouble.
> I'll try gparted and lshw next time it happens. Thanks for the answer
>
> Meg

Not sure I understand:

"we used a usb key"

meaning, what?

$ lsuusb
$ lsusb -v

Should get you the information necessary to see if the drive is recognized.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Ashley Benton

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 06/23/2010 07:33 PM, Ashley Benton wrote:

> Sorry I didn't try gparted or lshw or similar. The drive was plugged by usb

> for about 2 minutes, I tried to watch in media and my computer when it

> didn't appear by itself. I checked the logs after but there is no entry

> about it. I didn't know the person and couldn't take too much time looking

> at why so to simplify we used a usb key which worked without trouble.

> I'll try gparted and lshw next time it happens. Thanks for the answer

> Meg

Not sure I understand:

Usually when I plug my external hard drive (usb) it is recognized and open as a folder. This one which was not mine didn't appear (or open like a folder). I checked where my drive is shown but his wasn't there.
The hard drive seemed to be working but the computer didn't see anything. (nothing in any logs neither- I checked them after) The man had a usb key, so we used it (He needed a file from my computer). I didn't know the person enough to have him wait and take a detailed look at the problem. After about 2 minutes waiting for the drive to appear we switch to usb key and copied his file.*
I do not know why his hard drive wasn't recognized or if it was doing anything but it stayed plugged about 2 minutes. Is there anyway I can find out what happened a few hours ago or do I just forget it and note the command for next time? (I do not have the drive anymore)

*

"we used a usb key"

meaning, what?

$ lsuusb

$ lsusb -v

Should get you the information necessary to see if the drive is recognized.

Noted for next time.
Thanks
Meg*

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Gilles Gravier

Meg,

On 24/06/2010 01:30, Ashley Benton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plugged an external hard drive into Ubuntu 9:10 and it didn't se it.
> The hard drive seemed to be working but Ubuntu didn't see it.
> The owner told me that it was fat32 and working with Windows. My
> question is why Ubuntu didn't see the hard drive and could the hard
> drive do something
> (download files on the computer, install something or download files
> from the computer...)
> I checked the kernel log, sys log, debug log, daemon log and user log
> and didn't see anything concerning the hard drive.
> Thanks
>
> Meg

1) This is NOT a "Security concern".
2) Ubuntu should, by default, be able to mount fat32 volumes.

Open gparted (type "sudo gparted" in a shell window, and if that's not
yet installed, install it with the instructions given when you tried to
launch it)

Check (top right of gparted) if the disk is visible (it will be called
/dev/sdX , where X is a letter depending on how many disks you already
have... a is first disk, b is second... you get the picture). Find the
one for your disk. Let's suppose it's "b"... then when you select
/dev/sdb you will see what the partition table for that disk looks like.

It should be fat32... but could be something else.

Ubuntu mounts fat32 disks automatically.

But... it doesn't know about extended fat (exFAT) volumes...

Have YOU tried it on another windows system?

Gilles.