Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Alan McKay

Default 10.04 desktop RAID 10 install?

OK, I got it to work with help from a few websites. Did a combination
of a few things and it boots afterwards and I see what I expect to
see! I'll document it after I pick up the kids at school and send a
link.

Only one question remains but I'll pose that when I post my summary.

Basically I did this :
- boot live cd
- open shell
- partition each of 4 HDs with
512MB raid
2GB swap
rest of 1TB as RAID
- install mdadm
- use mdadm to make all 4 small partitions into /dev/md0 RAID1
- do same with large partitions to make RAID10
- do an install with manual parititioning. put /boot on md0 and / on
md1 and add 4 swap partitions
- add mdadm to the install

Done!

More details to follow.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found this
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
> But it does not mention RAID10
>
> I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no response.
>
> Are there easy instructions out there on setting this up?

What are you trying to do?

Make sure your boot is non-mdadm'd or RAID1.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Alan McKay

> Make sure your boot is non-mdadm'd or RAID1.

yeah, I'd read that somewhere.

So I ahve it working. I have a 512M RAID1 layed across all 4 disks
(though looks like mdadm only took the first 3 of them but I don't
care). Then 2G swap part on each of the 4 disks. Then the rest of
the 1T goes to a RAID10

It is running and working great. The only thing I am having trouble
with is grub. It works mind you. But one of the articles I'd read
said basically when doing the RAID1 approach for /boot, to make sure
the boot loader is installed on all of the disks in the RAID1. And
damned if I know how to do that. Been reading man pages and checking
google and still nothing.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, June 24, 2010 09:46 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> Make sure your boot is non-mdadm'd or RAID1.
>
> yeah, I'd read that somewhere.
>
> So I ahve it working. I have a 512M RAID1 layed across all 4 disks
> (though looks like mdadm only took the first 3 of them but I don't
> care). Then 2G swap part on each of the 4 disks. Then the rest of
> the 1T goes to a RAID10
>
> It is running and working great. The only thing I am having trouble
> with is grub. It works mind you. But one of the articles I'd read
> said basically when doing the RAID1 approach for /boot, to make sure
> the boot loader is installed on all of the disks in the RAID1. And
> damned if I know how to do that. Been reading man pages and checking
> google and still nothing.

Yes, it is the installer's job to make sure grub gets installed
properly. RHEL5/Centos5's anaconda gets that part right.

But then that was with grub. Lucid uses grub2 by default and I am not
sure what the status is with grub2 and the Ubuntu installer. If you have
time, shutdown, pull out/disconnect the first disk and then see if your
box will boot up. If it won't, then it is time to reinstall grub2 on the
other disks.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 AM
Goh Lip

On 06/24/2010 09:46 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> Make sure your boot is non-mdadm'd or RAID1.
>
> yeah, I'd read that somewhere.
>
> So I ahve it working. I have a 512M RAID1 layed across all 4 disks
> (though looks like mdadm only took the first 3 of them but I don't
> care). Then 2G swap part on each of the 4 disks. Then the rest of
> the 1T goes to a RAID10
>
> It is running and working great. The only thing I am having trouble
> with is grub. It works mind you. But one of the articles I'd read
> said basically when doing the RAID1 approach for /boot, to make sure
> the boot loader is installed on all of the disks in the RAID1. And
> damned if I know how to do that. Been reading man pages and checking
> google and still nothing.

To install grub to other disks...
grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk_other/ /dev/sdx

Note it will *not* create grub.cfg file to the other disk.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 06-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 09:46 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>>> Make sure your boot is non-mdadm'd or RAID1.
>>
>> yeah, I'd read that somewhere.
>>
>> So I ahve it working. *I have a 512M RAID1 layed across all 4 disks
>> (though looks like mdadm only took the first 3 of them but I don't
>> care). *Then 2G swap part on each of the 4 disks. *Then the rest of
>> the 1T goes to a RAID10
>>
>> It is running and working great. *The only thing I am having trouble
>> with is grub. * It works mind you. *But one of the articles I'd read
>> said basically when doing the RAID1 approach for /boot, to make sure
>> the boot loader is installed on all of the disks in the RAID1. *And
>> damned if I know how to do that. *Been reading man pages and checking
>> google and still nothing.
>
> To install grub to other disks...
> grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk_other/ /dev/sdx
>
> Note it will *not* create grub.cfg file to the other disk.

It's not quite as simple as that.

I had said on the list some time ago that grub1 couldn't boot from an
mdadm'd /boot and that I'd never worked anywhere that did that.
Christopher C corrected me and he was right.

Out of curiosity, I checked the RHEL documentation since this is what
we run and I found:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-grub-installing.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Installation_Guide/s1-grub-installing.html

The problem is that you have to trick grub in order to ensure that you
can boot from a degraded raid by installing grub onto sda and sdb with
both being (hd0).

For grub1, you would run (assuming /boot is on sdX1):

# grub
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

and

# grub
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

For grub2, the only equivalent procedure that I can think of is to
back up device.map, set (hd0) as /dev/sda in device.map, run
grub-install /dev/sda, set (hd0) as /dev/sdb in device.map, run
grub-install /dev/sdb.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Goh Lip

On 06/24/2010 01:21 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> yeah, I'd read that somewhere.
>>>
>>> So I ahve it working. I have a 512M RAID1 layed across all 4 disks
>>> (though looks like mdadm only took the first 3 of them but I don't
>>> care). Then 2G swap part on each of the 4 disks. Then the rest of
>>> the 1T goes to a RAID10
>>>
>>> It is running and working great. The only thing I am having trouble
>>> with is grub. It works mind you. But one of the articles I'd read
>>> said basically when doing the RAID1 approach for /boot, to make sure
>>> the boot loader is installed on all of the disks in the RAID1. And
>>> damned if I know how to do that. Been reading man pages and checking
>>> google and still nothing.
>>
>> To install grub to other disks...
>> grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk_other/ /dev/sdx
>>
>> Note it will *not* create grub.cfg file to the other disk.
>
> It's not quite as simple as that.
>
> I had said on the list some time ago that grub1 couldn't boot from an
> mdadm'd /boot and that I'd never worked anywhere that did that.
> Christopher C corrected me and he was right.
>
> Out of curiosity, I checked the RHEL documentation since this is what
> we run and I found:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-grub-installing.html
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Installation_Guide/s1-grub-installing.html
>
> The problem is that you have to trick grub in order to ensure that you
> can boot from a degraded raid by installing grub onto sda and sdb with
> both being (hd0).
>
> For grub1, you would run (assuming /boot is on sdX1):
>
> # grub
> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
>
> and
>
> # grub
> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
>
> For grub2, the only equivalent procedure that I can think of is to
> back up device.map, set (hd0) as /dev/sda in device.map, run
> grub-install /dev/sda, set (hd0) as /dev/sdb in device.map, run
> grub-install /dev/sdb.

Okay,right. I not worked with raid or lvm and I too have read somewhere
these may pose some problems with grub. The solution I read is to
disable lvm or raid, set grub in all disks and then enable these back,
or like you said somewhere, have the /boot in a non-raid area. But, like
I said, I've not used them.

Alan appears to know what he needs to do with raid and if he just want a
simple "How to install grub to other disks", well then...

If this can be resolved with grub-legacy by your message on devicemap
above, hope you can sort this out with grub2 too.

Can this link help?

http://grub.enbug.org/FranklinPiat/grub-mkdevicemap.manpage

sudo grub-mkdevicemap --devicemap=FILE

Good luck - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate

Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 01:21 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> To install grub to other disks...
>>> grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk_other/ /dev/sdx
>>>
>>> Note it will *not* create grub.cfg file to the other disk.
>>
>> It's not quite as simple as that.
>>
>> I had said on the list some time ago that grub1 couldn't boot from an
>> mdadm'd /boot and that I'd never worked anywhere that did that.
>> Christopher C corrected me and he was right.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, I checked the RHEL documentation since this is what
>> we run and I found:
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-grub-installing.html
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Installation_Guide/s1-grub-installing.html
>>
>> The problem is that you have to trick grub in order to ensure that you
>> can boot from a degraded raid by installing grub onto sda and sdb with
>> both being (hd0).
>>
>> For grub1, you would run (assuming /boot is on sdX1):
>>
>> # grub
>> grub> *device (hd0) /dev/sda
>> grub> *root (hd0,0)
>> grub> *setup (hd0)
>> grub> *quit
>>
>> and
>>
>> # grub
>> grub> *device (hd0) /dev/sdb
>> grub> *root (hd0,0)
>> grub> *setup (hd0)
>> grub> *quit
>>
>> For grub2, the only equivalent procedure that I can think of is to
>> back up device.map, set (hd0) as /dev/sda in device.map, run
>> grub-install /dev/sda, set (hd0) as /dev/sdb in device.map, run
>> grub-install /dev/sdb.
>>

> Okay,right. I not worked with raid or lvm and I too have read somewhere
> these may pose some problems with grub. The solution I read is to
> disable lvm or raid, set grub in all disks and then enable these back,
> or like you said somewhere, have the /boot in a non-raid area. But, like
> I said, I've not used them.
>
> Alan appears to know what he needs to do with raid and if he just want a
> simple "How to install grub to other disks", well then...
>
> If this can be resolved with grub-legacy by your message on devicemap
> above, hope you can sort this out with grub2 too.
>
> Can this link help?
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/FranklinPiat/grub-mkdevicemap.manpage
>
> sudo grub-mkdevicemap --devicemap=FILE

The problem with grub-devicemap is that it will associate sda1 with
hd0 and sda2 with hd1 so, if sda1 fails the system will not boot.

Going back to my previous email, it might be better to create a
different device.map and run grub-install with
"--grub-mkdevicemap=/path/to/customdevivemap".

Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Goh Lip

On 06/24/2010 02:00 PM, Tom H wrote:

> The problem with grub-devicemap is that it will associate sda1 with
> hd0 and sda2 with hd1 so, if sda1 fails the system will not boot.
>
> Going back to my previous email, it might be better to create a
> different device.map and run grub-install with
> "--grub-mkdevicemap=/path/to/customdevivemap".

Okay, Tom, I'll leave here but this looks promising......
http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID

Good luck again - Goh Lip

Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 02:00 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
>> The problem with grub-devicemap is that it will associate sda1 with
>> hd0 and sda2 with hd1 so, if sda1 fails the system will not boot.
>>
>> Going back to my previous email, it might be better to create a
>> different device.map and run grub-install with
>> "--grub-mkdevicemap=/path/to/customdevivemap".
>
> Okay, Tom, I'll leave here but this looks promising......
> http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID

I meant to mention this in an earlier email and forgot.

For grub2, it might not be necessary to install grub onto sda and sdb
because of the modular system.

So you could theoretically just run "grub-install '(md0)'" and use
"insmod raid" and/or "insmod mdraid" in grub.cfg but I have not tried
it. "inmod lvm" works perfectly for an lvm'd /boot so the raid/mdraid
insmod might work too.