Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
=JeffH

Default fyi: Dan Gilmo This Mac devotee is moving to Linux

This Mac devotee is moving to Linux
Seeking real freedom of choice in a technology ecosystem where vendors are
exerting more and more control
By Dan Gillmor
<http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/06/20/from_mac_to_linux/>

[ this article is slated to appear at Dan's MediaActive blog at the end of this
week; see: <http://mediactive.com/2010/06/02/salon-and-me/> ]

I'm not religious about technology. My strategy is to use what works best, period.

This is why, for more than a decade, I've been using a Mac as my primary
computer (and had been using Macs for some of my work long before that).
Apple's personal computers continue to be the best combination of hardware and
software on the market today.

So why am I about to migrate to Linux (aka GNU/Linux)? Because Apple is pushing
me away, and because I value some principles, perhaps almost religiously, that
affect other decisions.

Apple is pushing computer users as fast as it can toward a centrally controlled
computing ecosystem where it makes all the decisions about what native
applications may be used on the devices it sells -- and takes a cut of every
dollar that is spent inside that ecosystem. This is a direct repudiation of its
own history, and more broadly that of the larger personal-computing ecosystem,
where no one can stop anyone else from writing and distributing software that
other people might want to use.

Steve Jobs says Apple is a curator, nothing more. This grossly understates the
control. Jobs says Apple has "made mistakes" in being the police, judge, jury
and executioner in its Disney-style world, and is working hard to perfect the
system.

But this is a disconnect with reality. Central control, no matter how
well-intentioned, is itself the problem, not the solution. The "enlightened
dictator" is fiction. And dangerous.

I realize that I won't persuade the many people who prefer to live in gated
communities, believing they can leave any time they wish. But switching costs
will only get higher over time for those who choose to live in the Apple ecosystem.

<snip/>

=JeffH

Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Calcpage

On Jun 23, 2010, at 1:47 PM, =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com>
wrote:

> This Mac devotee is moving to Linux
> Seeking real freedom of choice in a technology ecosystem where
> vendors are
> exerting more and more control
> By Dan Gillmor
> <http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/06/20/from_mac_to_linux/
> >

> [ this article is slated to appear at Dan's MediaActive blog at the
> end of this
> week; see: <http://mediactive.com/2010/06/02/salon-and-me/> ]
>

> I'm not religious about technology. My strategy is to use what works
> best, period.
>
> This is why, for more than a decade, I've been using a Mac as my
> primary
> computer (and had been using Macs for some of my work long before
> that).
> Apple's personal computers continue to be the best combination of
> hardware and
> software on the market today.
>
> So why am I about to migrate to Linux (aka GNU/Linux)? Because Apple
> is pushing
> me away, and because I value some principles, perhaps almost
> religiously, that
> affect other decisions.
>
> Apple is pushing computer users as fast as it can toward a centrally
> controlled
> computing ecosystem where it makes all the decisions about what native
> applications may be used on the devices it sells -- and takes a cut
> of every
> dollar that is spent inside that ecosystem. This is a direct
> repudiation of its
> own history, and more broadly that of the larger personal-computing
> ecosystem,
> where no one can stop anyone else from writing and distributing
> software that
> other people might want to use.
>
> Steve Jobs says Apple is a curator, nothing more. This grossly
> understates the
> control. Jobs says Apple has "made mistakes" in being the police,
> judge, jury
> and executioner in its Disney-style world, and is working hard to
> perfect the
> system.
>
> But this is a disconnect with reality. Central control, no matter how
> well-intentioned, is itself the problem, not the solution. The
> "enlightened
> dictator" is fiction. And dangerous.
>
> I realize that I won't persuade the many people who prefer to live
> in gated
> communities, believing they can leave any time they wish. But
> switching costs
> will only get higher over time for those who choose to live in the
> Apple ecosystem.
>
> <snip/>

You've to the right place, welcome!

Let's face it, there's no such thing as s mac anymore anyway. They
used to have their own processor, now it's intel! They used to have
their own OS, no it's BSD Linux! So, u get the best of both worlds
running Linux on a PC. It's still an intel box running Linux, without
all the dictators!

Regards,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
Sent from my iPod

Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Calcpage <calcpage@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 1:47 PM, =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This Mac devotee is moving to Linux
>> Seeking real freedom of choice in a technology ecosystem where
>> vendors are
>> exerting more and more control
>> By Dan Gillmor
>> <http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/06/20/from_mac_to_linux/
>
> You've to the right place, welcome!
>
> Let's face it, there's no such thing as s mac anymore anyway. *They
> used to have their own processor, now it's intel! *They used to have
> their own OS, no it's BSD Linux! *So, u get the best of both worlds
> running Linux on a PC.*It's still an intel box running Linux, without
> all the dictators!

1. I hope that you realize that the OP isn't the one moving to Linux.

2. There's no such thing as BSD Linux (unless you count the Debian
version that uses a FreeBSD kernel). OS X uses a XNU kernel, which is
a hybrid between a Mach micro-kernel and a FreeBSD kernel.

3. Unless I have misunderstood you, you seem to be claiming that
running OS X means that you are running Linux, which is a pretty
bizarre assertion. OS X has a BSDish kernel, bash, X, and many other
nix features so it is a nix like Linux but not Linux.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

> 3. Unless I have misunderstood you, you seem to be claiming that
> running OS X means that you are running Linux, which is a pretty
> bizarre assertion. OS X has a BSDish kernel, bash, X, and many other
> nix features so it is a nix like Linux but not Linux.

Actually, it goes a bit farther than just nix like Linux.

Mac OS X is a UNIX operating system. At least, from Leopard onwards. It
is therefore decidedly NOT GNU/Linux just as GNU/Linux is not UNIX, just
UNIX like. Linux is the 'imitation' here although these days the
imitation is making circles around the real deal, at least outside of
the big systems if not when speaking of supercomputers and mainframes.