Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Patrick Doyle

Default convert a server to a desktop... what happened?

I decided I wanted a user interface on my Ubuntu 9.10 server, so I
naively tried the following:

$ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop

and, because I don't like middle-of-the-night-after-a-power-failure
surprises, I rebooted the machine once that completed.

Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address, despite the
fact that /etc/network/interfaces says:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address a.b.c.d
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway a.b.0.1

Does anybody have any idea what just happened here?

--wpd

Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Donkey Hottie

On 23.6.2010 17:41, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I decided I wanted a user interface on my Ubuntu 9.10 server, so I
> naively tried the following:
>
> $ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop
>
> and, because I don't like middle-of-the-night-after-a-power-failure
> surprises, I rebooted the machine once that completed.
>
> Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address, despite the
> fact that /etc/network/interfaces says:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address a.b.c.d
> netmask 255.255.0.0
> gateway a.b.0.1
>
> Does anybody have any idea what just happened here?

A damned package called "Network Manager" was probably installed. It is
a pain... I have no idea how to remove it. I tried to purge it, and
network just died, no matter what I had in /etc/network/interfaces.

--
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters.
-- Philip Larkin on Anthony Burgess

Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 23.6.2010 17:41, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> I decided I wanted a user interface on my Ubuntu 9.10 server, so I
>> naively tried the following:
>>
>> $ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop
>>
>> and, because I don't like middle-of-the-night-after-a-power-failure
>> surprises, I rebooted the machine once that completed.
>>
>> Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address, despite the
>> fact that /etc/network/interfaces says:
>>
>> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>> * * *address a.b.c.d
>> * * *netmask 255.255.0.0
>> * * *gateway a.b.0.1
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what just happened here?
>
> A damned package called "Network Manager" was probably installed. It is
> a pain... I have no idea how to remove it. I tried to purge it, and
> network just died, no matter what I had in /etc/network/interfaces.

A good WAG, although NM's default setting is to disable itself for a
nic if it is defined in /e/n/i (up to and including 9.10 anyway).

Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Preston Hagar

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided I wanted a user interface on my Ubuntu 9.10 server, so I
> naively tried the following:
>
> $ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop
>
> and, because I don't like middle-of-the-night-after-a-power-failure
> surprises, I rebooted the machine once that completed.
>
> Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address, despite the
> fact that /etc/network/interfaces says:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> * * address a.b.c.d
> * * netmask 255.255.0.0
> * * gateway a.b.0.1
>
> Does anybody have any idea what just happened here?
>
> --wpd
>
> --

This is just a guess, but you might look and see if your nic was
renamed to eth1 or eth2. I can't remember exactly why this happens
and there is a fix for it, but I know a while back I went through a
fight with Ubuntu where it was renaming the same network card to ethN
+ 1 on almost every reboot. It would screw up my
/etc/network/interfaces settings because I would have a static IP set
for say eth0, but then the card would be called eth1 on reboot and
just use DHCP since it wasn't defined in interfaces. Easiest way to
check this is to just do an ifconfig from the command line and see
what the name of the connected interface is.

Preston

Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I decided I wanted a user interface on my Ubuntu 9.10 server, so I
>> naively tried the following:
>>
>> $ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop
>>
>> and, because I don't like middle-of-the-night-after-a-power-failure
>> surprises, I rebooted the machine once that completed.
>>
>> Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address, despite the
>> fact that /etc/network/interfaces says:
>>
>> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>> * * address a.b.c.d
>> * * netmask 255.255.0.0
>> * * gateway a.b.0.1
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what just happened here?
>
> This is just a guess, but you might look and see if your nic was
> renamed to eth1 or eth2. *I can't remember exactly why this happens
> and there is a fix for it, but I know a while back I went through a
> fight with Ubuntu where it was renaming the same network card to ethN
> + 1 on almost every reboot. *It would screw up my
> /etc/network/interfaces settings because I would have a static IP set
> for say eth0, but then the card would be called eth1 on reboot and
> just use DHCP since it wasn't defined in interfaces. * Easiest way to
> check this is to just do an ifconfig from the command line and see
> what the name of the connected interface is.

If it is a ethX name problem, check "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules".

Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just a guess, but you might look and see if your nic was
> renamed to eth1 or eth2. *I can't remember exactly why this happens
> and there is a fix for it, but I know a while back I went through a
> fight with Ubuntu where it was renaming the same network card to ethN
> + 1 on almost every reboot. *It would screw up my
> /etc/network/interfaces settings because I would have a static IP set
> for say eth0, but then the card would be called eth1 on reboot and
> just use DHCP since it wasn't defined in interfaces. * Easiest way to
> check this is to just do an ifconfig from the command line and see
> what the name of the connected interface is.
>
> Preston
Thanks Preston,
It's still named eth0. I'm suspecting NetworkManager, or perhaps
ZeroConf is trying to help me out.

--wpd

Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Karl Auer

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 10:35 -0500, Preston Hagar wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address
>
> This is just a guess, but you might look and see if your nic was
> renamed to eth1 or eth2.

Delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
Reboot

Disclaimer: That solves this problem with 9.04. YMMV with other
releases.

Regards, K.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 23.6.2010 17:41, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> I decided I wanted a user interface on my Ubuntu 9.10 server, so I
>> naively tried the following:
>>
>> $ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-desktop
>>
>> and, because I don't like middle-of-the-night-after-a-power-failure
>> surprises, I rebooted the machine once that completed.
>>
>> Much to my surprise, the machine now has a new IP address, despite the
>> fact that /etc/network/interfaces says:
>>
>> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>> * * *address a.b.c.d
>> * * *netmask 255.255.0.0
>> * * *gateway a.b.0.1
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what just happened here?
>>

> A damned package called "Network Manager" was probably installed. It is
> a pain... I have no idea how to remove it. I tried to purge it, and
> network just died, no matter what I had in /etc/network/interfaces.
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Removing network-manager and network-manager-gnome (followed by a
reboot) seems to have solved the problem.

I have to admit, however, I'm confused. Since
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7 indicates that NM
will leave networks alone that are mentioned in
/etc/network/interfaces (which mine was). Clearly, it didn't, as
there was an /sbin/dhclient process running with a configuration file
named /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf. Perhaps something changed in
NetworkManager0.8. Or perhaps it's a bug.

Regardless, thanks for the pointer.

--wpd