-   -   synaptic, update manager, and Software center not working (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/389899-synaptic-update-manager-software-center-not-working.html)

06-23-2010 02:16 PM

synaptic, update manager, and Software center not working

My laptop for some reason can't reach these functions. when trying it doesn't load them at all. Other functions are fine. No passwords have been changed. I've seen the same problem on a message board but there's no answer posted other than hinting it might have something to do with the API. Anyone else get this?

Detlef Lechner 06-25-2010 01:11 PM

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 14:16 +0000, mdovell@comcast.net wrote:
> My laptop for some reason can't reach these functions. when trying it
> doesn't load them at all. Other functions are fine. No passwords have
> been changed. I've seen the same problem on a message board but
> there's no answer posted other than hinting it might have something to
> do with the API. Anyone else get this?

"not working" and "can't reach" are no precise descriptions of your
problem. Try to extract an error message from the computer and please
post the exact wording here.

Detlef

Mark Widdicombe 06-25-2010 01:21 PM

synaptic, update manager, and Software center not working

> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 14:16 +0000, mdovell@comcast.net wrote:
> > My laptop for some reason can't reach these functions. when trying it
> > doesn't load them at all. Other functions are fine. No passwords have
> > been changed. I've seen the same problem on a message board but
> > there's no answer posted other than hinting it might have something
> > do with the API. Anyone else get this?
>
> "not working" and "can't reach" are no precise descriptions of your
> problem. Try to extract an error message from the computer and please
> post the exact wording here.

I had this problem when I first installed 9.10 a few months back. The person I got the disk from had customised it for his environment and there was a file in /etc/apt called, if I recall correctly, apt-proxy or something like that. It was causing apt and, by extension, synaptic etc. to attempt to connect via a proxy server. Once I removed that file I was able to connect.

Regards,
Mark

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp