Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Dave

Default recording webradio

On 23/06/10 13:53, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
> next sunday.
> I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
> However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
> burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
> different from the interface presented in the documentation.
> My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
> I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
> Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
> following specs:
> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
> Joep
>
> PS. I sent this mail also to the Linux-audio-users list.
> Joep

If you can stream it in vlc then simply click on 'view' tab at the top
and then 'advanced controls' . You will then see a record button on the
player.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Frank

Hi

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 14:53 +0200, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
> next sunday.

Streamripper & Streamtuner are the solution. They work with mp3 streams.
Not sure if they work with wma streams.

sudo apt-get install streamripper streamtuner

> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.

CD Audio encoding is at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. You have to do some
conversion in order to burn a standard audio CD.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Dave wrote:
> On 23/06/10 13:53, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
>> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
>> next sunday.
>> I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
>> However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
>> burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
>> different from the interface presented in the documentation.
>> My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
>> I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
>> Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
>> following specs:
>> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
>> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
>> Joep
>>
>> PS. I sent this mail also to the Linux-audio-users list.
>> Joep
>>

> If you can stream it in vlc then simply click on 'view' tab at the top
> and then 'advanced controls' . You will then see a record button on the
> player.

DAve,
Thanks for the advice. I did as you said and pressed the record button.
However, I have no idea where the file is recorded. Can you guide me?
Joep

Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Thomas Kaiser

On 06/23/2010 02:53 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
> next sunday.
> I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
> However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
> burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
> different from the interface presented in the documentation.
> My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
> I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
> Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
> following specs:
> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
> Joep
>
> PS. I sent this mail also to the Linux-audio-users list.
> Joep

When you have the correct source of the stream. "wget" is handy.

I do "wget http://live.radiol.li:8000/live" in a Terminal and can reply
the file called "live" with vlc...

see "vlc -h" or the man page for more information

Thomas

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Mark Widdicombe

[...]

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 06/12/10 08:21, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
> next sunday.
> I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
> However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
> burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
> different from the interface presented in the documentation.
> My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
> I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
> Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
> following specs:
> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
> Joep
>
> PS. I sent this mail also to the Linux-audio-users list.
> Joep

> Disclaimer
> http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Mark,
Why did you resent a message I sent to this list on 23-06-2010??
Joep

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Mark Widdicombe

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:41 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 06/12/10 08:21, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> > assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
> > I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
> > next sunday.
> > I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
> > However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
> > burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
> > different from the interface presented in the documentation.
> > My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
> > I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
> > Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
> > following specs:
> > Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
> > It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
> > Joep
> >
> > PS. I sent this mail also to the Linux-audio-users list.
> > Joep
> >

> > --
> >
> > Disclaimer
> > http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp
> >
> Mark,
> Why did you resent a message I sent to this list on 23-06-2010??
> Joep

Hi Joep,

I apologise--I was trying to archive old email on MS Exchange and it
tried to reply to each email I wanted to archive. Bizarre behaviour; I
have no idea why it did that.

Regards,
Mark

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 06/12/10 10:47, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:41 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> On 06/12/10 08:21, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
>>> assume some of you has lots of experience with this simple problem.
>>> I want (need) to record an internet transmission of a certain concert
>>> next sunday.
>>> I can receive the 'sender' and listen to it using vlc no problem.
>>> However, i cannot find how to save the stream to a file (eventually for
>>> burning). A big ptoblem is that the interface of vlc is completely
>>> different from the interface presented in the documentation.
>>> My system: AMD Phenom II (4-core) 4Gb mem. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic).
>>> I have ample space to record (>1 Tb).
>>> Can anybody give me directions how to record this stream which has the
>>> following specs:
>>> Codec wma2; channels stereo; sample rate 48000 Hz; 16 bits.
>>> It is sufficient to burn it later to a CD.
>>> Joep
>>>
>>> PS. I sent this mail also to the Linux-audio-users list.
>>> Joep
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Disclaimer
>>> http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp
>>>
>> Mark,
>> Why did you resent a message I sent to this list on 23-06-2010??
>> Joep
>>

> Hi Joep,
>
> I apologise--I was trying to archive old email on MS Exchange and it
> tried to reply to each email I wanted to archive. Bizarre behaviour; I
> have no idea why it did that.
>
> Regards,
> Mark
>

> Disclaimer
> http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

OK. My only advice is then don't use anything from Microsoft it always
does the unexpected.
Joep

Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Mark Widdicombe

> >> Mark,
> >> Why did you resent a message I sent to this list on 23-06-2010??
> >> Joep
> >>

> > Hi Joep,
> >
> > I apologise--I was trying to archive old email on MS Exchange and it
> > tried to reply to each email I wanted to archive. Bizarre behaviour; I
> > have no idea why it did that.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark
> >

> > Disclaimer
> > http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp
> >
> OK. My only advice is then don't use anything from Microsoft it always
> does the unexpected.
> Joep

I wish I could take your advice. My employers use Exchange because, I
think, admins are a dime a dozen.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Mark Widdicombe
<mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za> wrote:

> I wish I could take your advice. *My employers use Exchange because, I
> think, admins are a dime a dozen.

I'm not sure, but I believe that is close to what they are paid....

:-)