Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default acl on ext4

Hi

is acl supported on ext4 filesystem ?

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,acl)

when i do sudo setfacl -R -d -m g:group:rwx /usr/local/test, I get Operation not supported.

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Mark Widdicombe

Hi

is acl supported on ext4 filesystem ?

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,acl)

when i do sudo setfacl -R -d -m g:group:rwx /usr/local/test, I get Operation not supported.

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Disclaimer

http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mark Widdicombe
<mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>
> is acl supported on ext4 filesystem ?
>
> /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,acl)
>
> when i do sudo setfacl -R -d -m g:group:rwx /usr/local/test, I get Operation
> not supported.
>
> Thanks and Regards

I think that means the operation is not supported.

In other word, No.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Mark Widdicombe
<mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>
> is acl supported on ext4 filesystem ?

> /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,acl)
>
> when i do sudo setfacl -R -d -m g:group:rwx /usr/local/test, I get Operation
> not supported.
>
> Thanks and Regards

I think that means the operation is not supported.

In other word, No.
*
I've been happily using acls on my ext4 filesystems for some time. thus:
It ain't necessarily so (as Sporting Life would sing):
*
Perhaps you don't have permissions to /usr/local or /usr/local/test
Perhaps /usr/local/test is not a directory (-d -R would seem to require this)
Perhaps /usr/local is not ext4, or not mounted with acl enabled.
*
Suggestion: try something simpler first, like this
cd <some directory on an ext4 filesystem.* Your home directory, if possible.>
df .
rm -f foo
touch foo
setfacl -m u:bin:rx foo
getfacl foo
*
Make sure that the output from df reflects an ext4 partition with acl enabled.
If that works, try more complicated things one at a time.* Setfacl can be a bit of a bear to get right.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD